Real Name
    Mae
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gino
    Likes (Received)

Default Bordetella Vaccine

Has anyone's bully experience a negative reaction(s) to the Bordetella vaccine? Any reaction from minor to severe to fatal? My breeder strongly recommends NOT to give Gino the Bordetella vaccine stating it causes many severely adverse respiratory problems.

He is the breeder and I take his opinion into consideration, but my vet doesn't seem to be against it, so I'd like to see what the bully's human community has to say about it.
    follow me and Gino on instagram @mae_moe

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bordetella Vaccine

The bordatella vaccine is only necessary if your puppy is going to puppy school, or daycare, or you take Gino places where he is contact with many strange dogs like a dog park. I had a couple of mine receive the vaccine while they were in obedience classes and one still continues to get it because he's a therapy dog and goes into hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and libraries. None of mine had ever had a reaction to it and for my boys who now stay home, I stopped giving them the vaccine. It's not a necessary vaccine by law to have so if Gino isn't doing any of the above mentioned things, don't bother.
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, my two had to get this vaccine when we went to Jamaica last April, and we had to board them. They were fine, and didn't have any reactions to it at all. If you take Gino to parks, or leash free dog parks, where a lot of other dogs frequent, or if he goes to doggie daycare, then it is necessary to protect him, but if he doesn't, he won't need it, but if he does, it's safe, and the pros outweigh the cons if it means he won't pick up the virus and get sick. I compare it to if we were to travel somewhere and we needed vaccinations to protect ourselves, then we would have them, so if Gino is travelling to any places where he could pick up the Bordatella virus, then I would get the vaccine.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

If you give the bordatella make sure he gets an injection not the nasal spray version. The nasal version is what causes issues the snub nose breeds not just bulldogs. Lepto is usually the vaccine you hear all types of adverse reactions to. Lepto is usually couple together as a 5 in 1 shot with distemper.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    If you give the bordatella make sure he gets an injection not the nasal spray version. The nasal version is what causes issues the snub nose breeds not just bulldogs. Lepto is usually the vaccine you hear all types of adverse reactions to. Lepto is usually couple together as a 5 in 1 shot with distemper.
    Yeah, Dudley had a horrible reaction to the Lepto. I mean HORRIBLE, swelled up like a balloon, hives everywhere, throat closing. And I thought I was going to have a heart attack. He had no trouble with the Bordatella.

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

any dog can have an adverse reaction to a vaccine... but Bordetella is only necessary if you plan to kennel, board, dog parks or training classes... if not doing any of those it is not necessary.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Howie
    Likes (Received)

Howie, today, got his shot for the year. He has been receiving his shots since he was 3 months old. It is a requirement from his doggie daycare that he receives his annual shot and so far so good.

Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOfGino View Post
    Has anyone's bully experience a negative reaction(s) to the Bordetella vaccine? Any reaction from minor to severe to fatal? My breeder strongly recommends NOT to give Gino the Bordetella vaccine stating it causes many severely adverse respiratory problems.

He is the breeder and I take his opinion into consideration, but my vet doesn't seem to be against it, so I'd like to see what the bully's human community has to say about it.
    Do you think that the breeder has seen adverse affects in other puppies he's bred which is why he is making the recommendation?

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nubonics View Post
    Do you think that the breeder has seen adverse affects in other puppies he's bred which is why he is making the recommendation?
    Xactly what I was thinking.

Real Name
    Mae
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gino
    Likes (Received)

thanks for the responses!
    follow me and Gino on instagram @mae_moe

Remove Ads