Bordetella Vaccine

AlphaOfGino

Sep 8, 2013
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gino
Has anyone's bully experience a negative reaction(s) to the Bordetella vaccine? Any reaction from minor to severe to fatal? My breeder strongly recommends NOT to give Gino the Bordetella vaccine stating it causes many severely adverse respiratory problems.

He is the breeder and I take his opinion into consideration, but my vet doesn't seem to be against it, so I'd like to see what the bully's human community has to say about it.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
The bordatella vaccine is only necessary if your puppy is going to puppy school, or daycare, or you take Gino places where he is contact with many strange dogs like a dog park. I had a couple of mine receive the vaccine while they were in obedience classes and one still continues to get it because he's a therapy dog and goes into hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and libraries. None of mine had ever had a reaction to it and for my boys who now stay home, I stopped giving them the vaccine. It's not a necessary vaccine by law to have so if Gino isn't doing any of the above mentioned things, don't bother.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my two had to get this vaccine when we went to Jamaica last April, and we had to board them. They were fine, and didn't have any reactions to it at all. If you take Gino to parks, or leash free dog parks, where a lot of other dogs frequent, or if he goes to doggie daycare, then it is necessary to protect him, but if he doesn't, he won't need it, but if he does, it's safe, and the pros outweigh the cons if it means he won't pick up the virus and get sick. I compare it to if we were to travel somewhere and we needed vaccinations to protect ourselves, then we would have them, so if Gino is travelling to any places where he could pick up the Bordatella virus, then I would get the vaccine.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
If you give the bordatella make sure he gets an injection not the nasal spray version. The nasal version is what causes issues the snub nose breeds not just bulldogs. Lepto is usually the vaccine you hear all types of adverse reactions to. Lepto is usually couple together as a 5 in 1 shot with distemper.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
If you give the bordatella make sure he gets an injection not the nasal spray version. The nasal version is what causes issues the snub nose breeds not just bulldogs. Lepto is usually the vaccine you hear all types of adverse reactions to. Lepto is usually couple together as a 5 in 1 shot with distemper.

Yeah, Dudley had a horrible reaction to the Lepto. I mean HORRIBLE, swelled up like a balloon, hives everywhere, throat closing. And I thought I was going to have a heart attack. He had no trouble with the Bordatella.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
any dog can have an adverse reaction to a vaccine... but Bordetella is only necessary if you plan to kennel, board, dog parks or training classes... if not doing any of those it is not necessary.

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Howie, today, got his shot for the year. He has been receiving his shots since he was 3 months old. It is a requirement from his doggie daycare that he receives his annual shot and so far so good.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Has anyone's bully experience a negative reaction(s) to the Bordetella vaccine? Any reaction from minor to severe to fatal? My breeder strongly recommends NOT to give Gino the Bordetella vaccine stating it causes many severely adverse respiratory problems.

He is the breeder and I take his opinion into consideration, but my vet doesn't seem to be against it, so I'd like to see what the bully's human community has to say about it.

Do you think that the breeder has seen adverse affects in other puppies he's bred which is why he is making the recommendation?

Members online

No members online now.