A Few Male-Related Bully Questions

HeyBulldog

Apr 4, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Good day EBNews'ers, I have a few questions for anyone who has experience with male bullys. Murray is just shy of 8 months old now (my first EB btw), and he is not neutered. The current plan is to not neuter unless a reason for it avails itself. What are your thoughts - advantages / disadvantages to keeping him 'natural'? Ive read some internet information on this topic but wanted to get your opinions as well.

Second question is Murray sometimes leaves 'streaks' where he was laying. They appear to be light yellow in color and have a bit of an odor. I've been of the assumption its normal and asked the vet about it and she basically said I should wipe his bits down every day or so, that should cut back on any discharge. anyone run into the same and is there anything really to do about it?

Lastly - when we play around sometimes Murray gets excited, pops his lipstick, and does a little nipping. Not even play biting, literally pinches my skin with his front teeth. He rarely humps, but when he does (or if he starts nipping) I give him a quick 'NOOO!' and banish him to the kitchen for a few minutes. That usually gives him time to calm down - anyone else have suggestions to curb this behavior?

Sorry for the list! Any insight would be appreciated!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Good day EBNews'ers, I have a few questions for anyone who has experience with male bullys. Murray is just shy of 8 months old now (my first EB btw), and he is not neutered. The current plan is to not neuter unless a reason for it avails itself. What are your thoughts - advantages / disadvantages to keeping him 'natural'? Ive read some internet information on this topic but wanted to get your opinions as well.

Second question is Murray sometimes leaves 'streaks' where he was laying. They appear to be light yellow in color and have a bit of an odor. I've been of the assumption its normal and asked the vet about it and she basically said I should wipe his bits down every day or so, that should cut back on any discharge. anyone run into the same and is there anything really to do about it?

Lastly - when we play around sometimes Murray gets excited, pops his lipstick, and does a little nipping. Not even play biting, literally pinches my skin with his front teeth. He rarely humps, but when he does (or if he starts nipping) I give him a quick 'NOOO!' and banish him to the kitchen for a few minutes. That usually gives him time to calm down - anyone else have suggestions to curb this behavior?

Sorry for the list! Any insight would be appreciated!

Many Responsible Breeders whom we promote by the way, Often wait for a couple of years, During this time, their checking for any medical problems, anything that would prohibit bettering the breed, Hip problems, joint problems, medical problems all kinds of stuff, and then at that time, The "Good" breeders make responsible decisions. Waiting, only gives you time to make good decisions, I'd definitely consult with great breeders, before making this decision. I have two males, Neither of them are neutered, One will be, as a promise was made, The second will more than likely be as well, I have no plans to breed either of them, My intention was to adopt them, and raise them with love. The downside to having them neutered is the
anesthetic, their breathing is very pronounced, and this can be deadly, Why take the chance if I have no medical necessity to do so.

This very much sounds, smells, by your description of urine. Males do something we Humans come to know as marking, This could very well be as your vet was describing, urine that accidentally was on him from urinating, This is usually the hair at the end of their package, usually during grooming, groomers remove that hair for this reason. I've never known of a male Bully to fully empty his bladder, reason is he keeps some to mark his territory. When walking your Bully, you'll sometimes notice, they stop and mark, every tree, bush, fire hydrant, but trust me, their only relieving themselves some, Males mark, and this can be a reason your seeing this.

If your comparing lipstick to his Red Rocket, you would be very correct. I come home from work, and both boys as soon as they see me, or as soon as they get excited, both pop the Red Rockets, It's a bully thing, My cockers never did this, however they would get excited and squirt. I'd much prefer the Red Rocket. The humping is usually a sign of dominance, or excitement, could be either or, If you feel the Bully is trying to Dominate you, Feed him his Kibble from your hand, Let him know your the pack Leader, you decide if he lives or dies, eats or not, goes outside or not, Thats all Pack Leader requirements, if it's excitement, as again you seem to be describing, Then your totally correct, Do the Stern Noooo!! and ignore, same with curbing his desire to bite or nibble, it's unacceptable behavior, Stern noooo!! and Ignore. There is an awesome book I reccoment a lot, It name is "Monks of New Skete" you can find it on amazon, it's also downloadable onto Kindle, This book tells you everything about how to be a pack leader, Bully's are stubborn, I call it hard headed, You have got to show Team Leadership at all costs, This book could very well change your whole outlook on raising your bully. Pack Leader is most important, and any time these guys can relieve you of that responsibility, or try you out to see how far they can push you, They will do it. Hope this information helps, and I'm sure many more will come by with more ideas, and more suggestions, and even better strategies, Thats what this community is all about, we each think differently, and usually every one has great information to share.
:yes:

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
Watch out that thing it'll will poke your eye out LOL ...just kidding, sorry...I am in no way an expert, but I will tell u that we neutered Harley for health reason and we
had no plans of breeding. Also we thought a benefit would that he would chill a little,,,,well not true and we love him no less. He's 18 mos old and still feisty, nips a little and charges us too.
He is a sweet loving boy with attitude a big boy, tipping the scale at about 78lbs...he loooves kids and loooooooves other dogs. I find when he gets attitude its nap time for him, an hour or so nap,
calms him. Some times a ride in the car really does the trick, I find that it stimulates him so that he tires.
OK so humping have to back track a little to our first EBD Dottie Lane. We took her in from some friends that could no longer keep her. She was 18 mos old when she came to us, she came with a huge humping problem( YES SHE) her previous owners thought it was cute and funny and soo did we, for about a week, OMG well, its a learned behavior....and we just couldn't break her of it..laying on the floor with her was a no no ( by the way she was fixed.) ok so when we brought Harley home we were ready to redirect and when he'd start mounting, we would say NO and move away abruptly..we then would get a toy and play another game...
You have all ready gotten some great advice here, from the Pro's good luck and enjoy that beautiful boy!

Last edited:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Lots of different thoughts on neutering- you can go crazy reading it all, but my decision to neuter was based on the theory that neutering young helped with curbing health problems in the future- like joint/hip issues. Also, I have had male dogs for the last 15 years, and the one who was neutered at 3, was the one who " marked" EVERYTHING!! So my next male was neutered at 6 months!! That " stain" you are seeing could be smegma. It is a yellowish/green discharge which is perfectly normal. Most pups have it, or it could be a little stool left over from his " business" - some bullies don't shoot that last small piece out- mommy or daddy have to wipe it away!! And yes, the red rocket appears daily in our house. Humping is nothing more than trying to dominate. Red rocket appears any time Bogey is excited. All my male dogs displayed the trophy!! Hope this helps!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN!!

Neutering to me is a matter of health for them, our vet told us the same as Becky stated... Too many health issues can take place, that if not breeding, then there is no reason to remain intact. We neutered/spay between 6-8 months with Ll our pups we have and both my males have done all you stated before and after... The yellow discharge is normal and as your vet stated... Just wipe him once or twice a day to lessen it. Humping... Only time our boy did is is when he was overly excited during play and he would actually just stand in one spot and hump air... It was uncontrollable for him, but only would last a few seconds.... He never tried to hump a person.

Good luck with your decision ... Love to see more pics of Murray!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I will chime in only to reiterate that I neutered my boys d/t the health benefits of neutering and also b/c I was not planning on breeding them. The "lipstick" thingy was an issue with Finn especially b/c his resulted in a prolapsed urethra. At that time he was around 7 months old and the vet told me that neutering would be best to help with the prolapse (vs. doing surgery on the urethra). I also was hoping that the neutering would decrease Finn's "aggressive" tendencies towards Tate (it really didn't however)! It's definitely a personal decision on the pet guardian's end but I think the benefits of neutering do outweigh any "cons" that are out there.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I totally agree with everyone's advice above, it is ultimately the owners choice to neuter or not. We neutered our male Bulldozer and spayed our female Blossom when they were 7 months old. My two are siblings, so I wanted to make sure Blossom didn't go into heat, and because they live in the same house, I wouldn't be able to separate them. The pros of neutering far out way the cons, and there are many benefits of neutering, such as it lessens the risk of cancers in the dog, it eliminates the dog marking, and it lessens the risk of the dog wandering, and running off, which could result in them becoming lost, or hit by a car.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree with you @HeyBulldog I would not neuter your pet unless there is an overriding necessity to do so and I can't think of many good reasons for that. The only legitimate reason to neuter is to stop uncontrolled breeding and I doubt many of us in this forum actually have that as an issue, but perhaps there are some. I disagree with the so called health reasons to support neutering quite the contrary there is evidence to support leaving the dog intact for health reasons. Oft repeated propaganda and myths die hard but eventually they do or at least enough evidence is available to neutralize them. The neutering or "fixing" [castration] of dogs mantra began about 40 or so years ago and the main reason for it back then was because of all the unwanted dogs that were the result of uncontrolled breeding, that is still a problem but probably not that much with responsible dog owners. Other so called benefits are specious at best and many of them lack creditable evidence to support them. To castrate a dog for behavior problems is often unsuccessful and/or the same could be accomplished with proper training without neutering. I predict that in years to come that neutering male dogs will decrease as more owners realize the health benefits of allowing the dog to be intact. I too have researched this and there is already evidence that leaving a dog intact is healthier. I won't post any links in this thread as I have done so in the past in this forum and they could be located by searching I guess. One example though is a study on why dogs raised in Europe are healthier dogs than dogs in the States and one of the main reasons, along with unnecessary or excessive vaccinations, is related to neutering. They do not neuter their dogs at nearly the rate as do folks here in the States

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have two males, intact and I plan to only neuter if it is necessary health wise. The older one is not going to be used for breeding, but there is a chance that the younger one is, if he stay's healthy. So far he is, but he is only 10 months of age. My boys don't hump, but each other, sometimes. They get along perfectly with each other and other males. The yellowish discharge is quite normal and it's good to clean their privets a couple of times a week as they don't reach themselves. I think just all a round discipline will help with his nipping and unwanted behavior.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
What do you mean by "lipstick"?
Are you talking about his penis?
We call it his Red Rocket.
Anyway, Walley-Bubba was neutered at 7 months.
He still shows his Red Rocket sometimes when excited,
No streaking or humping thank God.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I say if you are not breeding them then spay and neuter your pets. It is better for them in the long run and cuts down on cancer in both male and female, plus females can also get Pyometra, a fatal infection if not caught soon enough. I have never had problems with the streaks, but they do get a yellow discharge from time to time. Buddy was never a humper and never marked his territory, but it can be a problem with some. So it's really up to you, and if you do decide to neuter him, out vet recommends neutering them around 18 months of age.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
You have received a multitude of opinions from lots of EBNewsers :whistle:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
There is clearly some cultural differences here, and I'm surprised that so many dog owners in the US neuter their dogs. From what I understand, a general opinion among vets and dog experts in Sweden is that dogs should only be neutered for actual medical reasons, not as a preventive measure.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Hey. Well Zeus is a male bully so I decided to comment. I'm not an expert just sharing my experience. I have not neutered Zeus why because just haven't. He never leaves a streak he will squirt pee if my husband playes with him.. I think it's because my husband is at work most of the time and when he does have time to play he is just that much more excited. And I'll prefer to use the red rocket term.. It pokes out a lot. If he's sitting a certain way there it is. If he's excited there it is. He will not try to hump the family but beware if you are visiting.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
It's a little concerning that there are so many views on this, especially from a Veterinarian stand point. My vet recommends I get Rocco neutered around 6 months old, and another vet recommends a whole year later?

My vet also says that neutering will prevent "marking" which is a definite plus for me. I do not plan on breeding him. A friend of mine has a 10 month old male intact and he is out of control. He will literally jump on your leg and start humping you like crazy with the lipstick (or red rocket) out in full force. Just being around his dog and all the behaviors he exhibits (from what I understand stem from not neutering) is enough to make me want to. He hasn't because one day he thinks he will breed him -which is a whole different conversation- but after reading some of the replies on here, I think I will start to do some more research on it as I still have 3 months before he is at that age.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online