Leaving bulldog alone?

boxmonkey

Sep 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none
I'm new to the site. I've just bought a condo and I'd really like to get a bulldog. My problem is I work a lot and am not able to come home during the day. I'm usually gone from 7:30 a.m. to between 6:30-7:30 p.m. That seems like a long time to leave a dog alone in a condo without a yard. It's a fairly small condo, less than 850 square feet.
So, I'm wondering if leaving a bulldog alone that long is a bad idea. I'd hire a dog walker to come in several times a day as a puppy and once or twice a day as it got older. But my instinct still tells me this isn't healthy for the dog. When I'm home, I'll have no problems giving lots of attention to it and bring it along with me for errands and running about as much as would be practical.
I'm hoping some with more experience can tell me if this is as bad as I feel it is. I'd rather not get a pet than have a pet and treat it poorly.
Thanks for any insight!

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
I work long hours and I'm in school. I live in a studio apartment with my bully baby. I live very close to school so she's not alone for long on days where I only go to school. But days that I work she's home for 9+ hours. She's usually fine. But like today she ripped apart one of my sweaters. I think she gets bored and lonely. I feel bad sometimes having to leave her alone but coming home to her squishy face makes it
All work out. I can't really help you with the puppy situation cause I've never raised one alone. I will say bulldogs are a lot of care. Lots to pay attention to. If you feel you have enough time outside of work to devote every minute to your pup maybe try and work it out!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
If you have reliable pet walkers, and ones that will be willing to help with training too, go for it. Would you consider a rescue? That way you could get an older dog that would require less "puppy chores". I would advise either way to get the dog when you have some extended time off- a week would be good_ so you can bond and set a routine. Bullies are not high maintenence, but they also need human contact as much as possible. destructive behavior is a result of boredom, loneliness, and not enough human love. Bullies need routine- so however you do it, do it the same as much as possible. Good luck!!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree [MENTION=9926]boxmonkey[/MENTION] its too long to leave a dog alone, especially a bulldog puppy. My advice would be to wait until you can arrange a schedule where at least you could come home at lunch and let the dog outside a bit or have family or friends do it for you on a regular basis. Twelve hours a day to be left alone, is too much in my opinion.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
So I do have some experience with this. When I got Dudley -- at 8 weeks -- I was running the internal communications function for a large regional bank. I worked 10-11 hours a day. I was fortunate in that Dudley was an amazing puppy...like he was almost instantly potty trained. I think his breeder did a lot of work with those puppies. I would leave at about 6:45 in the morning, come home at lunch -- play with him, let him out, and then go back to work. I'd be home by 6, usually. Was it ideal...no. Did I feel horridly guilty leaving him in his crate all day -- YES. Did I make up for it when I got home...absolutely! I debated and debated about getting him. Cried buckets of guilty tears...best decision I ever made in my life. I went without a dog for 25 years because of the job I had -- previously I had spent 16 years as a consultant traveling around the world -- REALLY COULD NOT have a dog then. But, because life changes...I was laid off because they were "moving in a new direction" -- read...you are too old and make too much money -- now, I work at home and Dudley is "stuck" with me every day! Our story worked out. And Dudley...he rules the roost and seems pretty happy and well-adjusted. That's our story!
:welcome3: And welcome!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
When I first got Tate I was also living in a condo and would leave home at 7:30am, home by 5pm. I also hired a dog sitter to visit him at 12noon to feed him (he was still eating 3x/day at the time). It wasn't the ideal situation but it worked out.
I agree with [MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION]--when you do decide to bring a puppy home, make sure to spend that first week or two (if possible) home with him to get him acclimated to his new house.
[MENTION=9926]boxmonkey[/MENTION], are you planning on leaving the pup in a crate while you're away or allowed to roam freely? Please make sure to puppy-proof if the latter. I allowed Tate only in one part of the condo with pee pads left out, as he wasn't being crated then. I think if i were to do it over however, I'd keep him crated for safety purposes and to get him more used to staying/sleeping in his crate. If you have a trustworthy/reliable dog sitter to come by once or twice a day while you're away, i think it's very do-able. Good luck and let us know!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, if you had a dog walker several times a day, it may work, but as a puppy they need several potty breaks throughout the day, and at least once in the middle of the night. They also need a lot of attention and routine at this stage. When We first brought our two home, we had them on a schedule, we took them out first thing at 6 am, then fed them at 6:30 am, they went out for potty breaks every 1 to 2 hours, so this puppy stage you will need a puppy sitter, or walker to come quite often, and you can't put a puppy in a puppy daycare, as they have not gotten all their shots at this stage. We would take them out very two hours throughout the day, they also ate again at 1:00 pm, and again at 6 pm, we took them out until 11 or 12 at night, and we would set our cell phone alarm to take them out at 2:00 am. This schedule lasts for about 5 months, so it is a big commitment, plus they need a lot of human contact and affection. It worked for us, because my hubby worked midnights at the time, I work 3 days a week, so am home for 4 days a week, plus I have an adult son, who lives at home, so we had three people to take out the pups, and take care of them. 12 hours seems like a very long time for a puppy or dog to be alone all day.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Have you ever thought of a doggie daycare? We have several around here, and I know some people that just take their dogs a couple times a week to play w/other dogs & get some training. Luckily I stay at home, so my dogs are spoiled... but I applaud you for thinking of your puppy's needs first. Good Luck!!! :D

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I think you've got some great advice so far. I fully agree that you need to take some time off when you first get your pup, a few days at least, to help him or her adjust. Using a dog walker throughout the day will help while you're at work, especially if you can find one that will help with training too. When your pup gets old enough, doggy daycare would be great a couple times a week so he or she can get some socialization and attention outside of you and the dog walker. If you make a plan of how to handle the puppy stages and stick to it, I think you'll do just fine.

harvey

Sep 6, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey and Tommy
I really appreciate your honesty and motivation to do the right thing. My suggestion? Don't do it! It doesn't matter what kind of dog you get (but especially bulldogs), you should never leave a dog (especially a puppy) home for that long. Seriously, you will go crazy, and so will the dog. I'm gone five to six hours during the work week, and I can't stand it. I worry about my dogs daily. Having a dog is just like having a child--the dog needs attention and guidance. And just like children, your dog needs to learn certain positive behaviors while it is young. Bulldogs also are prone to several problems, like allergies; you'll want to be accessible at all times. If you're patient and wait until the time is right, you and your dog won't regret it.

Good luck.
Patty

Members online

No members online now.