Which is Better For Slowing Down Eating?

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I have read on a few different threads about bullies who eat too fast and inhale their food. Rocco is such a fast eater he barely stops to breathe. He just inhales his food and it does not sound like he chews either (which I read was normal) He has not thrown up any food as of yet but always after his meals he lets out a nice burp/gurgling noise. I was not aware of this being out of the norm until the past few days. I have been feeding him slowly now, a little bit at a time as a temporary solution. My question is on how I should treat this permanently? Is it better to get one of those balls you put in the bowl or just a slow feeder bowl? Is one more effective than the other? Or is there something else I haven't mentioned? I tried moistening the food but that did not slow him down at all. He is currently eating out of a stainless bowl. I just want to rectify this before it becomes a serious problem and do what's best for my little guy. Thanks in advance! You guys are the best!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you have to try to see which works for him.... adding some water help with Banks, but others have had success with the ball others with the slow feed bowl.... as with most things, you do not know till you try it. I would try the ball first....

Elbeau

Aug 28, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Phoebe
We used the ""portion Pacer" ball with Phoebe and it was the best thing! It didn't bother her in the least and now she has completely slowed down to the point that she is only grazing.
I would highly recommed it :-)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I added warm water at first for Winton, but as he got older I had to improvise a little... I add a tablespoon of yogurt in the morning, and mix that w/his kibble. It's really thick to gobble down so fast... LOL Dinnertime I add the salmon oil to it for his add-in and he doesn't seem to gobble that down as much either. Good Luck!!! :D

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
We used the ""portion Pacer" ball with Phoebe and it was the best thing! It didn't bother her in the least and now she has completely slowed down to the point that she is only grazing.
I would highly recommed it :-)

I've been looking at those. I can't tell the actual sizes of the small and large on Amazon. Do you know if the pet stores (Petco, Petsmart) carry this or is it available online only? Glad to see you've had success with it!

[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] a tablespoon of yogurt is enough for the whole bowl? I wonder why the salmon oil calms him down as well

Thanks for the responses! And any first hand experience is much appreciated!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use 1 tablespoon, but I mix it in really good w/the kibble... I use the fat free Greek yogurt style, it's really thick!!! I think the oil slows him down because he's trying to lick that first... LOL

Elbeau

Aug 28, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Phoebe
[MENTION=9549]fastmatt613[/MENTION] we got ours at petsmart and we bought the big one - we always used a stainless steel bowl and nebver had a problem!
Good luck!!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,

I use the slow-feed and it works better. Slow feed.JPG

Good Day~

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
[MENTION=5822]Elbeau[/MENTION] It looks like a trip to the pet store is in order after work!
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] I'm going to look at those as well. I think I've seen them in stainless?

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
I think everything mentioned above will work. We put a couple golf balls in Hollys bowl and that did the trick for us. It was harder to get her bully mug in her bowl. I always wondered if Holly having to push the golf balls around helped her cognitive development...idk...prolley just me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I picked up the bowl above at petco today. Petsmart apparently doesn't carry the balls anymore so I have to order it online. He has trouble getting to the food in the bowl I felt so bad it took him forever then I finally just fed him small portions in the regular bowl again. He can't get his face in it lol. Hopefully the ball does the trick!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Yes..thats why I didn't get it for Jake..I mean those fat faces have to have room to maneuver ! :)
The ball will work!

He was so pathetic eating from it. He was getting frustrated too lol. I felt so bad. But he did slow down! The ball has been ordered so I'm gonna have to deal with feeding him a little at a time for a few more days

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Just to give an update: I ordered the large stainless Omega Slow Feed Ball and it arrived yesterday. I used it for lunch and dinner yesterday. MUCH better than the slow feed bowl. It definitely slowed down his eating although he still ravages through the bowl like a mad man and I heard a small burp when he was done not like the huge one he used to let out. I'm hoping the use of the ball will be enough for him.

Also, he is going on 4 months (Oct 7) old now and weighs roughly 23-25lbs. I am currently feeding 1/2 cup of kibble 3 times daily. Is that too little for him now? Should I be giving him larger portions for his meals?

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
From what I can't tell most do 3/4 cup 3 times a day. Also for roscos distant cousin :) we used to either put his food on a plate or right on the floor then he would actually have to find it instead of inhaling. Loki was really bad about this I am never gonna eat again stage. We used to pick up the dish every few seconds to make him slow down too.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.