Walking, resting, walking, resting, resting, resting...

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Ok, why won't Shermam walk without lying down 5 minutes out? I just read a couple posts about walking for an hour? I couldn't even get Sherman to do that if a hot dog was dangling in front of his nose. Going around a small block is like a war of wills, and I usually lose. Can this be changed by some kind of specific training or do I have a lazy walker for life?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:walk::walk:Hi, lol. If you find the answer to this question please let me know. I have two EB siblings, my female Blossom will walk for hours, she has so much energy, but her brother Bulldozer does the same thing Sherman does. He doesn't like to walk, he gets outside the house and will do his duties, and then pulls to go back to the house. If I try to take him for a walk, he will walk for about 5 or 10 minutes, and then will lay down and refuse to move. I feel bad sometimes, because I will go on long walks in the morning or evening, or on a cooler day with Blossom, but I leave Dozer at home because he won't walk. One time my son and I tried to walk up to the plaza by my street, to go to Tim Horten's' and we got there, but he refused and just wouldn't walk home, he weighs 45 lbs and I can't carry him home, so we had to call my hubby and ask him to bring the car to come and get us. Lol. He is happiest sleeping, or cuddling with us.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Many times it's just a matter of practice and patience. How old is Sherman? I recall when Tate was a puppy he also didn't want to budge but a few feet while on our walks. I had to prod him with every step. But we persevered with the walking and also went to some basic obedience classes which teaches the "heal" command, and now Tate is such a good little walker. Keep at it...you may need to just start off with 10 minutes here, 15 minutes there...just keep building up. It doesn't have to be a one hour walk, even 5 minutes to start is okay too.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I'm sorry...I can't help. If I asked Dudley to walk all day, he would. If you try building up to it, might help, but from what I've read, some bullies are just sleepers! But Sherman is stinking cute whether walking or sleeping!

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some like to go for a walk and others do not. Our Blondie would not go for a walk, no way no how. Most of the others like to walk, but Lucy doesn't like to go very far. He may just be one that doesn't like it. If it's hot out I wouldn't push it.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Omg I want mine to calm down a bit. When we go for walks he'll pull us the whole time. It's gotten better but he's still the first one... I just want him to walk slowly next to us or even behind.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus will walk but I have to be careful because when he feels like being done walking he will lay down wherever he is for a nap :walk::babysleep:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi, love his name, Sherman, it's super cute:) I don't want to scare you, but has he been checked for hip dysplasia or any joint probems? My Joey acted kind of like that too on walks, and it turned out she had hip dysplasia. She's had her op and is now doing great, but she's still a lazy walker so it might not have been the hips causing her to rest:ashamed: lol. Sherman might just be lazy, some are:)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Awwwww, I love Sherman...both my bullies (rehomes) have been older
(so don't know their younger selves energy levels) and neither liked the
outside or walks. Brutus loved to go for rides tho and both would walk
inside at Petsmart in the AC. I live in hot Central TX so that may have
something to do with it, am curious if Cami will go for walks as it cools off.

Other than a health issue Sherman, like lots of bullies, may just be lazy, lol

Bullies...gotta love em.
:heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks will walk for hours if she could, she loves it. Our boy, was a short timer -- 10 mins tops and he flopped on the ground or just stopped and stood there

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
:walk::walk:Hi, lol. If you find the answer to this question please let me know. I have two EB siblings, my female Blossom will walk for hours, she has so much energy, but her brother Bulldozer does the same thing Sherman does. He doesn't like to walk, he gets outside the house and will do his duties, and then pulls to go back to the house. If I try to take him for a walk, he will walk for about 5 or 10 minutes, and then will lay down and refuse to move. I feel bad sometimes, because I will go on long walks in the morning or evening, or on a cooler day with Blossom, but I leave Dozer at home because he won't walk. One time my son and I tried to walk up to the plaza by my street, to go to Tim Horten's' and we got there, but he refused and just wouldn't walk home, he weighs 45 lbs and I can't carry him home, so we had to call my hubby and ask him to bring the car to come and get us. Lol. He is happiest sleeping, or cuddling with us.
The more I read about Dozer and Blossom the more I fall in love with them. They make me laugh, I can only imagine the laughter in your house.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Rocky and Rambo both like walks, but if Rock sees water like from rain, its tug of war, Rambo could care less, he's all in. guessing its just the bully.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor is a bit like that too, although he doesn't lie down, he just stops or sits down ever so often when on the leash. I recently posted a question (heading 'collar or harness', or something like that) as I needed advice on whether it would be better with a harness than a collar. We have a harness now and it's easier to walk him as I don't need to pull him by the neck when he decides to stop.

We notice a big difference when Castor is not on the leash, however. Then he will walk long distances at a good pace without a problem, so for him it seems to be related to the leash (or perhaps the place - we need to have him on a leash in the city, of course, but if we go to the forest, he walks without a leash).

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon loves to walk sometimes he refuses to come in the house till I walk him around the block especially when its really nice out.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.