Drinking water like a water buffalo

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Seamus has started this super weird habit. Instead of lapping up his water like a normal dog he tries to eat it! He sounds and looks like a water buffalo when he is done. I am constantly having to clean his face and his nose rope to keep them dry. His nose rope keeps getting really red and irritated from all the water.

Is this normal? I thought it was because his water bowl wasn't clean and there were pieces of food or something in there. I now clean his water bowl and give him fresh water all the time but it still doesn't make a difference. I also make sure there isn't an excessive amount of water in the bowl to make sure he isn't getting it everywhere.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to make him start drinking water like a normal dog again?

kanderson

Jul 22, 2013
Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stouffer
I don't really have any suggestions for you..seems like just another bully thing. They are always doing things a little different than most dogs..
I'm not sure that Stouffer drinks his water like this, but he is VERY loud in the water bowl. I like to say he is "washing his mouth out" because there is always food and slobber floating in the bowl when he is done :)
As for the nose rope..it happens. I just try to keep it as clean and dry as possible, but it seems every now and then it gets a little tender.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
My aunt is 88 years old and wears two hearing aids...if I'm on the phone with her and Dudley is drinking water...she can hear him!!! Honestly, I think the neighbors can hear him. I call him the snufulupagus when he drinks water. I don't know if he's "eating" the water, but vacuum cleaners have nothing on him! I bought something called a "neater feeder" for him to stop the madness of water flying everywhere. There's a bottom section and then the two bowls sit in a separate top section that has drain holes. The thing has high sides to keep the water in too. When he slops the water out it goes in the holes and into the bottom tray...I couldn't afford the paper towels any more!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas sticks his whole face in his bowl and drinks, slurps, when he comes up for air he has water pouring out both sides of his mouth. I keep "shammies" by his bowl to immediately wipe his face and chin.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, a bully thing. Some of ours will drink normal, and some will drink like you described.

HandsomeUlysses

Aug 13, 2013
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
I agree, Ulysses is a messy drinker too. I'm like you Kathleen, Im not too sure myself if I can still afford paper towels. However, I do dry him very quickly and put some baby powder in his chin and folds, seems to keep the moisture at bay and less redness.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster does this same thing and the hippo's on the Nat Geo channel seem to have more grace then he does when he drinks water. It's a Bulldog thang.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Sarah is very loud drinking water. I can hear her all over the house. Maybe put some desitin or zinc oxide on the nose rope to keep the water from irritating. These bullies are very different

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
My aunt is 88 years old and wears two hearing aids...if I'm on the phone with her and Dudley is drinking water...she can hear him!!! Honestly, I think the neighbors can hear him. I call him the snufulupagus when he drinks water. I don't know if he's "eating" the water, but vacuum cleaners have nothing on him! I bought something called a "neater feeder" for him to stop the madness of water flying everywhere. There's a bottom section and then the two bowls sit in a separate top section that has drain holes. The thing has high sides to keep the water in too. When he slops the water out it goes in the holes and into the bottom tray...I couldn't afford the paper towels any more!
Man, your post made my laugh so much, thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Totally normal for BANKS!! She has done this since she was a pup... does not lap/lick the water.... she chews/bites it. BTW - she is 8 yrs old today and STILL does it. I keep a towel on the floor next to the bowl

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
See, I try to fix these problems, Rocky drinks perfectly normal, Rambo, Much like y'all are describing, everything but a snorkel and mask. So I over thought the situation, and decided his water just wasn't cool enough, if it was, he wouldn't be drinking so much. So i empties about 4 ice trays of ice into his water bowl thinking if nothing else, it should slow him down some anyway. WRONG!! I went to the bathroom, and just as I came out, he was pawing at the ice cubes to get them out of his way, and dumped 2 gallons of water onto the floor.......Back to the drawing board!

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Bella gobbles her water too and gets more on the floor than in her mouth!! :ohmy:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.