brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I get the same ignorance with Brutus. I always hear "my sister, brother...etc has an english bulldog and he looks nothing like that, are you sure he is an english"? Brutus is fawn colored and his snout is not as pushed in so people are convinced that he MUST be mixed with Mastiff. Ugh...I usually just ignore them. I have come to the realization in life that you can't fix stupid.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
If someone is genuinely interested I don't mind explaining things to them but if someone comes at me derisively you better believe they will most likely get one of three reactions sarcasm, derisive, or out right anger

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Black is an undesirable color and only black in brindle is allowed in the show ring. It also ticks me off, saying it nicely, that people will try to breed black and other "rare" colors for money and money only and people pay high prices for these "rare" colors. Bulldogs should be breed to better the breed to AKC standards. That being said, your pup is a cutie and looks like a bulldog to me.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The AKC standard for english bulldogs does not list black as a desirable color. Color of Coat
The color of coat should be uniform, pure of its kind and brilliant. The various colors found in the breed are to be preferred in the following order: (1) red brindle, (2) all other brindles, (3) solid white, (4) solid red, fawn or fallow, (5) piebald, (6) inferior qualities of all the foregoing. Note: A perfect piebald is preferable to a muddy brindle or defective solid color. Solid black is very undesirable, but not so objectionable if occurring to a moderate degree in piebald patches. The brindles to be perfect should have a fine, even and equal distribution of the composite colors. In brindles and solid colors a small white patch on the chest is not considered detrimental. In piebalds the color patches should be well defined, of pure color and symmetrically distributed.
The only thing that is a disqualification in a bulldog according to AKC is a brown or liver nose. In all the years I have shown I have only seen one person try to show a black bulldog and they were not very happy when they did not place with there dog and the judge told them why they did not place nor where they happy when several long time big named handles gave them there opinion about there dog. They entered in a larger specialty show and it didnt go over as well as they wanted and they were quite vocal about it :(
That being said you find color of all kind in just about any dog so people dont always understand not to mention most people dont know alot about bulldogs.
Some breeders have problems with breeders that breed stricktly for color instead of paying attention to the health and temperment of the dogs they breed. You find them all over the internet with breeders charging outrages prices for there "RARE" colors. And you will find alot of them claim to have alot of champions in there pedigree.

Either way you have a cute puppy and you know what he is and love him regardless of his color, drool, wrinkles, and stinky little bum :)
I think I would probabley judge the person asking and if there being rude and a smartass I would give them a smart *** answer back :)
And if it was someone that just really doesnt know about bulldogs and is just curious answer them and explain about his color. You find alot of people especially when you show bulldogs that really just dont know anything about them and they dont realize how great they are or how much work they can be. Since they come in all shapes and sizes and you can see that if you go to a show especially a specialty show you will see short, tall, fat, skinny and a variety of red,white,fawn,and brindle colors. Which for those of us that love bullies is one of the greatest things to see 50 to 200 bullies (Depending on the size of the show)all in one place and all looking there cute bullie selves :)

Exactly. :goodpost: The only reason black is not seen as a desirable color is because black is a dominant color. If everyone started breeding for black and black was acceptable our breed would slowly lose it's character, colors and uniqueness. Eventually the black gene would become dominant. This does not make a bulldog who has black in it not a bulldog, and yes sometimes I do think some black bulldogs do look like they have been bred with another breed, so really it always depends on the breeder, their reputation, how far back they know about their lineage, ect.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.