Shortened pallate

Harleqiun

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Has anyone had there pups palate shortened our vet is recommending we have it done when we have our 6 month old puppy fixed they say her palate is very long. She has one case of pneumonia 3 months ago but since then she has been great. Very little snoring not sure if we should have it done.

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
I used to work at a veterinary clinic and it seemed to me that every bulldog or pug that came in there the vet was telling them they needed to have entropian surgery, and the palate and nares done. When I took Dually in to get an estimate for entropian surgery first thing she did was tell me he needed his nose and palate done as well. She hadn't even looked at him yet!! She came to this conclusion because he was panting. She said he is panting and he snores because of his palate and his nose and that he would get barrell chested if I didnt do the surgery. Well it's been over 3 years and he is not barrell chested and he breathes just fine!! I only let her do the entropian surgery.

I think I would get a second opinion. I know this surgery is quite common in bulldogs but I also don't think that every one of them need this procedure done.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had to have this done on my male Bulldog and my French Bulldog... My female (Banks) did not need it at all.
As for the boys, my vet knew at 6 - 8 months they both would need the palate and nares done, but he will not do the procedure until they are at least z2 yrs old, because they continue to grow and that means so does the palate. Get a second opinion and see if it is critical to get it done this early.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The only real way to know if the pallet is too long is to put them under and scope it... So at this point I think a second opinion is in order.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.