Help with water!!!

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
For a few weeks now I noticed that everytime Z drinks water...no matter the amount..he pukes up water and clear slime right after then he licks it back up. It happens pretty much everytime he drinks. Not sure if I should be worried or if this is somewhat normal. He drinks really fast as if he never has water...not sure how to slow him down.

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
This happens to Winston sometimes too. It is just because he is drinking it too fast. You can try to get one of the stainless steel balls that you use for food to put in his water bowl. That will be in the way so it will force him to slow down. Good luck!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
As stated above normally it is from drinking too fast. There are a lot of options out there to help with this from balls to water fountains. We use a powered water fountain as it keeps circulating and filtering the water and Harlea will drink from the waterfall instead of the bowl itself which slows her down a lot.

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
I have a stainless steel PetMax fountain I got on Amazon. It has a big bowl and fountain/waterfall. It was the biggest stainless steel bowl I could find. It helps a lot. Don't get me wrong, you still end up cleaning it a lot but it goes quick. Plus with Amazon, you can get on an autoship thing for the filters. One less thing to think about.
I think a ball or something in the bowl would slow them down from trying to inhale it all at once.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a stainless steel PetMax fountain I got on Amazon. It has a big bowl and fountain/waterfall. It was the biggest stainless steel bowl I could find. It helps a lot. Don't get me wrong, you still end up cleaning it a lot but it goes quick. Plus with Amazon, you can get on an autoship thing for the filters. One less thing to think about.
I think a ball or something in the bowl would slow them down from trying to inhale it all at once.

:goodpost:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with the comments from members above, it's most likely from drinking too fast, my two eat and drink too fast as well. We use a water cooler type of water dispenser with a filter in it. We bought it at Petsmart. It has a smaller bowl which continuously dispenses clean water as they drink it. It helps them drink a little slower.

OP
flkjr2

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
Thanks everyone for your input!! Helped alot! Im going to go ahead and try the stainless steel ball. Thanks again! :cheers:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like he is drinking too fast. Do you leave water available for him 24/7 if not then you should as a bully needs water available to them all the time. If someone tells you restricting water helps with potty training, that is a myth.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I use an antigulp bowl have since he was a puppy and it seems to work really well unless he is really hot and wants to drink a hole lot we tend to listen to him drink and know his threshold and we automatically tell him when its enough which makes him stop for a bit then he will go back and drink some more. This has stopped him from puking his water up completely!

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Thanks for asking this questions. Never occurred to me to ask. I also assumed it was from drinking to fast but didn't know they have stuff to help them slow down.. I have water always out for him. Zeus doesn't do it all the time it's usually after he playes or walks. Or goes out for potty breaks.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I agree, it is probably just from drinking too fast. We use elevated bowls so that Tilly can't shove her whole face into them and it really helps!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online