Road Trips - how do you do it.

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
How do you make road trips easier for your bully? Theres only one of me and Colossus has to have attention on him at almost all times. How do you make it where he knows its fun, etc? He jumps right in, stomps around a bit (like he does his bed at home), sits down, and looks at me says lets go. Then after about an hour and a half or so he gets bored and starts barking - he has his same chews, squeakers as he does at home, but hes not content with that. This is the same dog that will leave me alone at the house for hours at a time suckling on the ears of this "woobies."

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
Maybe when the boredom sets in, get out a BRAND NEW NEVER SEEN BEFORE AWESOMER THAN AWESOME new toy???

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The suggestion of new toys is a good one! Does he like nylabones? You can have a "stash" of new things that he would really enjoy! I went on a 13 hour drive with 2 bulldog pups, and 2yr.old, and 1yr.old,fr/engs. (four total). One of the halfies gets herself riled, so I usually give her just a tiny bit of liquid tranx. but nothing for the others. They all had car seats and could see out the windows, and I was so proud of them-they were angels! It was their first trip ever! I always have edible treats and water with me, in the car(everything else is packed) but most of mine don't want to eat or drink much in the car. Some won't drink until we stop at rest stop.Some won't drink until we arrive at destination.(Just stating this so if he won't eat or drink-not to worry.) Try when you stop. Mine don't really even want toys-they just sleep!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Nyla bones or kong toys with treat inside to keep him occupied. I would wait to give him them until you can tell that the car ride bordem is setting in :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ours just sleep most of the way, or chew their bone.

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
I live in PA and I had to travel to NY so I took my EB with me. He slept most of the way when he was awake i just stopped at a rest area and gave him water and walked him a little bit and had plenty of toys for him to chew on too.

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
As soon as we hit the road our bullies pass out. Longest drive we have taken them on is a 5 hour to Arizona and they slept most of the way there.

bambinogino

Aug 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gino Antonio Monclova
My bully will stand for almost the entire trip. He pants the whole time and he's really restless. It gives me anxiety and I'm sure he has anxiety too. I've tried toys and tried bones and I've tried to use my girlfriends yoga matt in the back seat to make him more comfortable. He doesn't pace as much with the yoga matt but he doesn't sleep either. I am out of ideas to make him relax as well. He's been on a 4 and a half hour trip from Houston to Dallas and I'm hesitant to do it again. I feel like I'm stressing him out.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonkas a sleeper. I take him absolutely everywhere with me that I can without having to leave him in the truck. We got for coffee and hit the drive thru and he sticks his head out the window eating everyone see how cute he is....and waiting for his timbit... I have taken him constantly since we got him because we travel a 3 hour round trip with him most weekends and I wasn't going to have a dog that howled the whole way....though it started that way! Now he sleeps or looks out the window...he has an antler but doesn't really touch it. We have a hammock for him in the back seat of the truck with a leash that buckles into the seat belt holder in the middle that gives him enough free reign to walk to each window but not jump up. Works really well.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah is completely chill in the car because she literally goes everywhere with me..has since she was a little puppy. When we're going on a long trip, I bring her bed with and put it in the back so that she can go lay down in it if she wants. I bring a few chew toys and stuff too.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My bully will stand for almost the entire trip. He pants the whole time and he's really restless. It gives me anxiety and I'm sure he has anxiety too. I've tried toys and tried bones and I've tried to use my girlfriends yoga matt in the back seat to make him more comfortable. He doesn't pace as much with the yoga matt but he doesn't sleep either. I am out of ideas to make him relax as well. He's been on a 4 and a half hour trip from Houston to Dallas and I'm hesitant to do it again. I feel like I'm stressing him out.

There is a product, Rescue Remedy that works very well in calming anxiety.

All natural too :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.