Dew claws?

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
How short can/ do you keep their dew claws? Norm likes to every so often rub the side of his face/ eye and his dew claw is RIGHT there. I freak out because I'm sure he's going to poke his eye. And I think he did get it this weekend. He's kinda squinty in that eye now. I keep them trimmed but how short can I go?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Dew claws are just like other claws. You can only take them close to quick or you will have a bloody painful mess on your hands. We trim Harlea's claws every 2 weeks and file them with an emery board 3 times a week to keep them rounded and remove any sharp edges.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with marine91, I use a dremmel to make them rounded and try to keep them as short as possible, these nails don't hit the ground so they seem to grow faster as well, because they get no natural filing.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
MelanieNormansMom
Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
I've been clipping and filing but it's still a protrusion that's just perfectly situated to poke his eye. It's like he's purposely trying to give me a heart attack every time he rubs his face on his leg.... Guess I'll keep trimming and filing to see how short I can get it without quicking him.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
They have "covers" for cat's claws. But I suppose if you put them on his dewclaws, he probably wouldn't leave them alone(mine sure wouldn't !) You could try it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They have "covers" for cat's claws. But I suppose if you put them on his dewclaws, he probably wouldn't leave them alone(mine sure wouldn't !) You could try it!

LMAO... So true! They would obsess on getting them off

OP
MelanieNormansMom
Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
Speaking of that...My husband even got in on it....he said he was going to put socks on Norm so he couldn't rub his claw into his eye... Said it took him 5 minutes to get the sock on and 2 seconds for Norm to get it off.:p

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Dexter did scratch a crater in his eye and it took forever for it to heal. He was on antibiotics for a very long time and constantly back to the vet for rechecks. His first symptom was squinting and then you could see the huge scratch on his cornea. We constantly use the dremel and emory board to keep the nails as short as possible. If you do this often, the quick will continue to shrink and you can keep the nail shorter. He is finally getting use to the dremel and lies still for his "pedicure".

OP
MelanieNormansMom
Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
Dexter did scratch a crater in his eye and it took forever for it to heal. He was on antibiotics for a very long time and constantly back to the vet for rechecks. His first symptom was squinting and then you could see the huge scratch on his cornea. We constantly use the dremel and emory board to keep the nails as short as possible. If you do this often, the quick will continue to shrink and you can keep the nail shorter. He is finally getting use to the dremel and lies still for his "pedicure".

Hate that that happened but at least I know it's not just Norm! Norm's not too bad for his mani/pedi. Especially if I give him a freshly loaded peanut butter kong. He was a rescue and his nails were really overgrown. I've been steadily working to get them trimmed and back to where they need to be. But that dang dew claw!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online