Dry skin

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
My bulldog seems to be having some dry skin ): Im really not sure what to do for him. I don't bath him that often and i've switched his dog food because he has allergies. He's on taste of the wild dog food. ( i know my profile picture is of him at a few months old be he is now almost 13 months) any ideas what i can do for him....( i am a first time bulldog owner)

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Give him lots of water...dry skin in humans anyways it's usually due in part to dehydration. Maybe you can rub coconut oil on him typically, it's always helped Mack, but it does leave him oily afterwards and smelling like an almond joy...I'm sure others will be asking Dijon with more advice.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Omega 3 oil does wonders for skin and coat. A little bit mixed in with your bully's food should help with dry skin issues.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have used Salmon oil, and now I am putting a spoon of extra virgin olive oil in their food.Was easier to get the olive oil, and it works for mine. I have used skin-so-soft bath oil after I rinse soap off-bath. BUT, so far I have not allergy problem(fingers crossed) Mine also eat TOTW. Others may have better advice! I also give them a supplement w/probiotics,etc.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
My suggestion would be either salmon oil or coconut oil as well as ACV rinse after baths.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki skin is the same at the moment thanks to seasonal allergies. Quick relief for him in an oatmeal bath. He loves it. We also have an aloe spray that we use as well if the bath doesn't tide him over. He is one fish oil too

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Barkley had really dry skin earlier this summer and was having some thinning patches where it was getting reallyyy dry and flaky. We started giving him salmon oil and using oatmeal shampoo/conditioner when we bathed him but it just kept getting worse. We took him to the vet and he said it just looked like allergies and gave us a medicated shampoo to use once a week and it has worked wonders!

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Is omega 3 krill oil ok to give a bulldog to help with dry skin?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is omega 3 krill oil ok to give a bulldog to help with dry skin?

I am not sure, would think it is, but [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] might know if it is

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Krill oil won't help skin at all. Its good for the heart, arthritis and PMS. It's good for other things but those are the biggies.
We talked about olive oil but I will say it here too. Olive oil has a very strong odor and taste that might turn him off to the food you are putting it in. But if you choose to try it you can safely give 1 tsp per 15 pounds of body weight. You would use the same measurement if you opted for coconut oil and that tastes better. You can also massage vitamin E oil into his skin and/or give him 2 IU per pound of body weight every day. He should get the vitamin E every day anyway. EVERYONE who regularly gives fish oil should be supplementing with vitamin E.

The best thing that you can do for him is to get a slicker brush and use it every day (twice if possible) to invigorate the skin and to redistribute the natural oils.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.