DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I am so, so sorry about your Tyson. I have no experience, but I am so sorry you lost your baby. It was a heart-wrenching decision I know. I am sorry.

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
oh my goodness! How traumatic! And scary! Very sorry for your loss.

LuluMommaTonya

Nov 13, 2012
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu Mae
So very sorry for your loss. We had to put our beloved first "baby" down because of seizures. He was a Bassett Hound and he was epileptic. He did great on meds for 2 years. Then he got an almost direct spray from a skunk and the next day his seizures came back in clusters. They couldn't stop them, and then it got to the point that if they did stop, it wouldn't matter because his brain has suffered such irreversible damage. So, we were like you and had no choice but to end his suffering. It was terrible to experience and watch and I am so sorry you had to go through that. We are pretty certain that the direct skunk spray is what triggered the seizures coming back even though he was on meds. My Lulu had a day of seizure this spring that sent the terror right back into my heart. The vet thinks hers was triggered by sleep apnea and they have not come back (knock on wood!). I'm not a vet, but from what I was told with both dogs at different times from different vets was that if the seizures start coming close together in a cluster, that there will be more damage and they will be harder to stop. Their brain can get stuck in that horrible pattern of short circuiting. Your baby could have been having seizures for quite some time between lunch and you coming home. Maybe that is why his temp was so high? Once again, so very very sorry for your loss.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hello,

I really need everyone help and I hope I can get some answers here. I wish Iwas writing under better circumstance but unfortunately I'm not. On Monday Icame home after work to find my 1 year old Bulldog Tyson having Seizers in hiscerate, I had come home for lunch to let him out so he had only been alone for3 hours or so. When I let him out for lunch he was fine and was acting normal.I immediately rush him to my vet (we were there in 10 minutes or less) theyinformed me he had a tempter of a 110 degrees! They cooled him off and then wemoved him to an emergency vet with an ICU. After they ran some test the vetcame in and told us that because his tempter had gotten so high he had wouldmost likely have brain damage and that he had kidney failure! She told us itwould be around 6000 dollars for the first night and only had a 5% chance ofliving through the night! Please don't get me wrong I would have spent themoney that was not the issue we loved him so much he was our child and I wouldhave done anything to save him but she told us he would never fully recover ifhe did live through the night! I believe quality of life is the most importantthing and I knew he would never be the same! So we had to make one of thehardest decision of our lives and put him down!

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of this before? I'm having areally hard time with it and can't for the life of me figure out how one minutehe seems fine and then the next he is gone! Thanks you in advance for any help

I am just so devastated reading your post, please accept my sincere condolences on losing your Tyson.

It hurts my heart knowing the terror of finding him like that then hearing such terrible news from the Vet.

Finally, knowing you had to make the hardest of all decisions to let him go~makes tears run from my eyes.

Please try not to second guess yourself, these will be hard, dark days ahead to get thru. Allow yourself time
to grieve, be kind, gentle & loving to yourself and remember...you did the right thing, the best thing and the
unselfish thing, all for Tyson's benefit, not your own.You are the BEST kind of parent,GOD bless you & yours!

EBN has a forum for memorials, when you are up to it, maybe go there & see we here really do understand
how much you love & miss Tyson and how deep your hurt goes. Please come here and post whenever it gets
to much to bear alone. We are family and we support one another, let us help you thru this.

Tyson, as much as you miss him, is happy, healthy & romping with all our pets in Heaven and with Jesus.
He will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge when it is your time to go~you will be reunited~Peace & Love!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I usually try to do everything I can to stay away from threads like this..... I've lost babies to different reasons, and their tales are different, and heart wrenching. You made a very difficult decision, one your having a tough time dealing with, Thats understanable. I'm truly sorry for your loss of Tyson. I had a cocker, which was a senior, She had seizures, she lost control of her bowels, she also lost her eyesight. Thinking back, that was her quality of life, but I did everything I could to give her another shot, spent money hand over fist trying to save her, and in the end, I prolonged her agony, although I was with her every minute, or my daughter was, She had no quality of life. She had a heart valve problem, which was being treated, and the medication she was on triggered the seizures, so this isn't going to help you mush. After the first seizure, and rushing her to the vet, we changed medicines for her heart, and also treated her for seizures. Not of which is helpful information for you Tyson Baby. The helpful information I have for you is this, I drug an enevitable situation out for a year and a half, to save my baby, But what I found in the end was I couldn't let go. When I lost her, I was in shambles. I did everything I could, to give her a better home, She was a breeder living in a kennel at a puppy mill, The breeder was getting ready to put her down, because she wasn't producing puppies, That sparked a connection between us. In the end, my inability to make the decision you made is as Texas Carol just said, was Greedy. I find myself getting home from work, Both my Bullys are crate trained for their safety, when I'm at work. I walk through the front door, and sometimes Rambo will do the backward sneezing, I run to him, and get him from his crate, and hold him, while he licks me all over my face, and the backwards sneezing stops. When Rambo gets excited, I mean very excited, he starts backwards sneezing really bad. When this happens, I really worry, and even though I keep my thermostat set at 70, When I put my chin over the top of his head to hold him close, I can feel he's warm. He does cool down after this. I never have any issue with Rocky. Rocky is just as his name implies, a Rock!! I'm sure i've just rambled to make a couple of points, But I agree with Texas Carol, in that you did the right thing! The further expense of finding out exactly what caused the seizured from a Vet, is much like kicking a dead horse. I would allow yourself some quiet time, and space, as time heals, Your in all of our thoughts and prayers. I dont think anyone here will be able to answer your question about the seizures, I'm not sure where you got Tyson from, But his lineage is where I would start my research, if you still feel motivated to do so. Our hearts truly go out to you and Tyson. And as I said, I find it incredibly hard to post on this thread, having gone through this over the years, different senerios, with different breeds. I'm personally asking you to reflect back on the good and happy times with Tyson, and not the last day(s) as hindsight is 20/20.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Awh, Tyson! I am so sorry! I had a very Similar situation happen to me two weeks ago. I came home to my perfectly healthy, two-year-old, Bulldog having seizures. I rushed him to the vet, they kept him in ICU overnight, and the next day his heart stopped.

Did he happen to choke on anything? Sometimes lack of oxygen to the brain for a long time will cause seizures, And the seizures make the temperature rise. I am so sorry! I don't want anyone to feel the way I am feeling right now! It's our worst nightmare!

I am so, so, so sorry! I know what you are going through, you want closure, your spirit is broken, your heart is broken into a million pieces, it's devastating!

I have been just taking it five minutes at a time, try to think of something else, try to stay busy, try to stay strong, it is so hard because all I do is cry I have never been this sad in my life!

I'm praying for you right now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm so sorry for your loss, how devastating, my heart breaks for you. I have no experience either but it seems like he overheated from having the seizure(s). RIP Tyson :hug:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.