HELP! Flying with our bully!

Mindy

Sep 19, 2010
At the end of next month we are moving back home and flying from Alaska to NY. My Dolly will be 5 months old, and alaska airlines says she has to fly cargo. (she's 4 months old and ways 25 pounds) We took her to our vet and he thinks she'll do fine flying cargo, but I am just SOOOOOO scared about her flying cargo. Anyone have any tips and advise? :pray: She is my baby. :heart:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Find out from the airline if the cargo hold is temperature controlled. Many airlines are requiring this now.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
o wow i would be scared to... ive heard its good to give animals some kind of relaxer when they fly

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would call the airline directly and ask them what their procedures are, where the dogs are stored in cargo, air temps in cargo hold, does anyone watch over the pets in cargo- whatever you can think of. How long will the flight be?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I would call the airline directly and ask them what their procedures are, where the dogs are stored in cargo, air temps in cargo hold, does anyone watch over the pets in cargo- whatever you can think of. How long will the flight be?

Definitely, research it! I also agree with lexterwayne, I would try to find a sedative of some kind. My friend moved from Kentucky to California and their vet prescribed a sedative for her cats to make the drive easier for them.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi [MENTION=1223]Mindy[/MENTION] - I might be of some minor assistance since I also had to fly a 4 month old bulldog puppy...my dog Linus!

First, as others have said, research the airline - where will the animal be held before and after the flight? What will conditions be like for the dog on the flight? Will the temperature be safe? (Especially important for snub nose breeds) Do you have the correct type of crate? What is their safety record? Most airlines will not tell you this and it is not well regulated but I would ask anyway - express all of your concerns.

Second, flying is a very stressful experience for animals but medication is not always a good choice. In our case, we discussed it with Linus' owner and our vet and determined that the chances of something going wrong from being unattended, in strange conditions, on a plane (altitude, pressure, etc) far outweighed any potential relaxing effect medication would have on him. Relaxing medications are pretty common on animals flying in the cabin but NOT animals flying in cargo - because they are unattended. I will tell you that I did give my other bulldog, Bentley, the common pet relaxation medication acepromazine and it caused his breathing to become labored and that's NOT what you want when your dog is flying unattended. Talk to your vet, talk to the airline but this the general rule:

According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, in most cases cats and dogs should not be given sedatives or tranquilizers prior to flying. An animal's natural ability to balance and maintain equilibrium is altered under sedation, which can be dangerous when the kennel is moved.

Whether flying as a cabin or checked pet, animals are exposed to increased altitude pressures, which can create respiratory and cardiovascular problems for dogs and cats which are sedated or tranquilized. Brachycephalic or snub-nosed dogs and snub-nosed cats are especially affected.

Third, tape a bag of food, a bottle of water, and place your name, address and contact info AT LEAST three places on the crate - in case of delay, emergency, etc.

Linus flew American Airlines and they were absolutely wonderful with him. He flew from Chicago to Phoenix, so it wasn't a super short flight but he arrived in excellent condition with nary a broken kibble of food in the bag that was taped on top of his crate. However, with increased regulation, American Airlines has now refused to fly any snub nosed dog, including bulldogs. So be sure Alaskan Air specifically takes bulldogs!

Please let us know how things go or if you have any other specific questions...Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.