Eliie got spade yesterday ouchy...

MARY BARNES

Aug 27, 2013
Country
CANADA
Bulldog(s) Names
ELLIE 2013-2017....Rocky RIP (2005-2013)
Hi everyone my Ellie got her operation to day .. she is at home and is doing fine .
I was wondering if anyone has some tips on caring for her little pink belly? Can I put some kind of cream on it ? The vet said not to get it wet.don't let her lick the stiched area,no long walks .But nothing about cleaning it or what to put on it so it heal faster...
She has been sleeping on my side of the bed , on my pillow,with Rob, I'm in the spare room . Not sure how long she needs before I too can sleep in my bed???? I didn't want to roll over and hurt her.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Whenever I had females spayed, the vets never recommended putting anything on the area. It should heal fine-needs to stay pretty clean. Don't let her get in mud! It should be fine. I think if you put something on it, it would make her WANT to lick it, and tend to make stuff stick to it. If you don't get in the bed soon, it will be HER side of the bed.
Unless you are a "violent" sleeper, I would stick to the regular bedtime routine.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You shouldn't have to put anything on it unless it looks infected..... it has been a long time since I had a to do this and my memory is not serving me well right now.. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] had he Emma done not too long ago, she might have a suggestion.

As for the bed, as [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] stated... get back in there or you will have issues later when you want to return

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Like others have said. You don't need to put anything on the incision. She likely won't try to lick it. But use a cone if she does. Try to keep her calm (this wasn't so easy with Amy) and our vet had us go back after 10 days for suture removal.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Awwww poor little girl. I gentled wiped her off too just by dabbing her incision with with a very soft towel and cool/warm water. Then I put the Neosporin on her incision but only the areas that had red irritation.

Should be no reason can't sleep in your bed. Just put her between you two. That's were Emma has always slept even when she was spayed.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi , so glad to here Ellie's had her surgery and came through it okay. I'm glad she back at home and doing well. Sending love hugs and prayers for a quick recovery and that she is back to her old self soon. Feel better Ellie. Like others have already mentioned, you shouldn't have to put anything on the incision, it should heal up on its own, and the vet will take out the stitches in 7 to 10 days, depending on when she wants to see her back for a post follow up checkup. I had my female Blossom spayed when she was 7 months old, so that was 11 months ago, and we didn't need to use a cone for her, she never licked or even bothered with her incision site or the stitches. I don't think she could reach them. Lol. The only thing that is hard is keeping them quiet for a week, no running, no jumping up or down from couches, or beds, and no stairs. This was hard because Blossom was only sleepy and groggy for the first day, and then after that she full of beans and wanting to play, I either kept her on her leash beside me, or I crated her so she wouldn't get to rambunctious. I think most of this was due to the pain medications and her not feeling any pain. All she needs is some pain meds and rest for a few days, and lots of TLC and cuddles with mom, and she'll be great.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.