Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, after reading the heart breaking Emily's post on Debo passing away potentially from eating the gel of the cooling pad, it made me think about so many other products out there that are made for our dogs, and are toxic or dangerous to them, including the very foods they sell, and we feed them, thinking they are safe or even nutritious. It's this reason why I feed our two guys a higher quality food like Fromm's. but I also feed home cooked food for them for one week a month, due to the fact that even with a good quality food, you still have preservatives and chemicals added to the dog food, which is necessary in order to keep it fresh during transport to stores, and for shelf life. When I home cook, I at least know what's in the food. It's the same for us humans, they're are so many chemicals, pesticides, steroids, antibiotics, preservatives, artificial everything, sugars, and colours, added to our foods, which is why I believe there are so many more people with food related allergies. My friend at work who at peanut butter all her life, developed a bad reaction and allergy to peanuts and peanut butter last year, and now she is also allergic to soy and soy products, which is in so many of our food products. You never know when you can develop an allergy. Also you're seeing more and more children with food related allergies and a huge increase in the number of kids with asthma, which I believe is a result of all these additives in our food, and also all the chemicals that are in our drinking water and our environment. They're are a lot of products out there that are made for our pets that are dangerous or toxic to them. Here in Canada they have banned some chicken jerky products made in China, as they caused or were linked to kidney failure in dogs. This was due to them containing glycerin. Two people at my work lost their dogs to kidney failure from feeding their dogs chicken jerky products or treats. This is also why I don't feed our guys any store bought treats, as not only are they full of added fillers and corn that we try to avoid in their food, so why feed it to them in their treats? Plus again they are full of preservatives and added ingredients like the glycerin that is toxic to our pets. We give our guys strawberries, cut up apples, watermelon, bananas, blueberries, cheese strings, plain unsweetened yogurt, baby carrots, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and peppers, as toppers or treats, and when we want to reward them or bribe them lol, we just use a few pieces of their own kibble. And we make our own natural dog treats as well using natural ingredients like oats, peanut butter, applesauce, and flour.

When I was researching dog foods, I learned a lot about how dog foods were actually made, and it's scary what's allowed in our pet food. I was sent a video said in the lower quality foods that you find in grocery stores they use meat that is no longer safe for human consumption as their protein source, this means the meat could be rancid, past it's prime, or actually rotten, they also use euthanized animals from vet offices, or zoos, etc. These animals have been euthanized and injected with Phenobarbital, which stays in the body of the animal, and is then found in the dog foods. The way these companies get away with this is that they aren't the ones who actually put this in the food, it comes in the animals that they process, so they don't have to disclose it on the label. These euthanized animals can be old, sick, or diseased, and can come from vets, zoos, circuses, etc, so they can also use dead animals such as elephants, horses, pretty much any animal that has died. They're last source of protein that is used to make dog food comes from road kill. WTF. They use all of these protein sources, add tons of additives, and preservatives, cook it all down and dry it, and sell this as kibble, and then advertise that it is both healthy and nutritious for our pets. We wouldn't feed this to our families, so why would we give this to our precious babies? And why is the Government allowing this to be sold? And passed off as dog food, is it because they are dogs, and they don't have the same standards as human food? They should, as all these chemicals, preservatives, additives, and garbage that is allowed in our dog foods are causing cancers and premature deaths and shortening the lives of our pets. By feeding our pets a higher quality food, or home cooking, and reducing the toxic ingredients in their foods we can prolong our pets lives and their overall health, and reduce the amount of allergies in our pets as well. It's the same with the products that we buy for them such as toys and beds, etc. we don't let our guys play with any toys or have any beds or dog pillows, unless they are supervised by us. Our guys eat and chew everything like soft toys, tennis balls, dog beds, pillows and blankets. When they are in their crates, they lay on the plastic tray, because they would shred any pillow or blanket, and eat it. They do have two nice oversized dog pillows that I bought at Homesense, but they only get to use them when they are laying beside us. I think we just have to be aware of what our babies are eating, and limiting the amounts of store bought junk that is found in a lot of the food and treat products that are out there, as well as be watchful and supervise them when they have toys, and products made for them, especially if you have a bully who is a chewer, or destroys his toys and beds. These guys are just like babies or toddlers who have to be supervised, and just like we would feed our children good quality foods and healthy snacks, we can and should do the same for our pets.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..honestly, it's frightening what's in our OWN foods too. I just read where the allowable fecal content has been raised in our meat too. AND chicken from China can now be imported into the U.S.. Not California, thank goodness..we have much higher standards on poultry, but all this and the stupid segment in Congress wants to do away with the FDA...oh ya...the BAD government protecting what we eat! Dumb asses! You think dog food is bad now....just wait.

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
My future goal when my husband either is forced outta military b/c of drawback or retires, is to have a farm, full fledged, chickens, cows, pigs, orchard, garden. Right now he is an avid deer Hunter so 60% of the meat we eat is deer. Maybe at that time I can commit to home cooking dog food or raw as well!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
great point... really is very concerning what is out there that we don't know and not only feed our pets, but as Becky said, we humans consume

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
I agree and good post...I have two grandchildren allergic to eggs and wheat kinda tricky feeding them, Jenna is allergic to grains and I don't feed her chicken her protein base is fish...I know two young women who at the age of 30 had to have a mastectomy...one is my daughter who is otherwise very healthy, a marathon runner...she's not even old enough for a mammogram...has to be the additives in the food

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
:nice: It really is scary to think of what we are not only putting in our bodies but our bullies bodies as well. Companies are out to make a buck these days and willing to cheap out where they need to to make more dollars.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with all of you, it's sad that money and profit is more important than our health and the health of our children and pets. Our government allows steroids and antibiotics to be injected into our cattle, chickens and other livestock used for our food, because farmers want the cows to grow bigger faster, and produce more milk, so their profit is more. This all affects our health as it deposits in our food that we consume through our meats, poultry, milk, etc. the same is true for our dogs and the garbage that these companies are passing off as dog food, and selling and advertising their products as healthy and nutritious. My family lives in Norway, and over there and in many other places in Europe they are not allowed to use genetically modified foods, they are not allowed to inject their animals with steroids or antibiotics, and they have never put fluoride in their drinking water. When my cousins were growing up, and I spent 10 weeks every summer with my grandparents, we used a fluoride rinse that we rinsed our teeth with after brushing our teeth, and then we spit it out, we did not ingest it. My cousins children still do this today.

B

Baxter Tiberius

As difficult as it is, the only safe way to eat is organic, whole foods which you cook at home. Not even restaurant foods are as safe. For obvious reasons. I am not a fear monger, or a paranoid hypochondriac in the slightest. When you end up with a health condition that has no explanation however, and start to dig deeper into what truly is the source of all disease in old age, you realize that what you put in, and on your body, is nearly always the cause. It may take 20, 30, 40 years for it to manifest, but the inflammation which ultimately leads to alzheimers, diabetes, heart disease, and every cancer there is, originates from genetic predisposition and the low-grade inflammation caused by what we ingest.

This is why the Paleo diet is so brilliant. Yet so simple. Its the total absence of inflammatory ingredients, difficult to digest foods, and synthetic toxins. It is, simply put, what our bodies are made to digest. The elimination of simple things like grains and pastas / gluten / soy can provide nearly immediate relief for people dealing with numerous major health conditions at younger ages. When they realized this, they realized that these foods are contributing to the development of every disease there is. And the absence of them allows the body to stop producing inflammatory cytokines, cortisol spikes, blood sugar spikes, and simply calm down. I could go on for months about this, but the bottom line is this: Eliminating low grade inflammation by not eating inflammatory foods (google the term for a list), is a monumental leap towards preventing every disease that appears 40 years down the line. And this holds true for dogs as well. I am certain.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Very well written and point well taken. I'm sorry about your friends losing their dogs to the Chinese chicken jerky, I'm happy that we live in California where it's not allowed straight from China and refuse to give any chicken in any form to Buster. Fromms has a pretty good track record and that's what we stick with, food and treat. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] made a REALLY good point the other day when she said that the digestive system of our bully's is not quite the same as ours and cannot process whole veggies and whole fruits like we do and that she puree's everything which we've started to do. The vitamin factor in all of those foods is much more readily available to the dogs system that way which makes perfect sense to me. That and pig snouts makes Buster crazy happy!!:D

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
You'd never eat a hotdog again if you knew how much fecal matter and rodent hair ect ect were legally acceptable to be found in them.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree... it's crazy to think what we are ingesting not to mention our doggies!!! I've try to purchase organic/hormone free foods, but it's VERY hard while I have a teen & pre-teen in my home. If they want the other stuff, they have to purchase it!!! Not to mention that eating healthier is so dang expensive!!! Makes no damn sense...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well..honestly, it's frightening what's in our OWN foods too. I just read where the allowable fecal content has been raised in our meat too. AND chicken from China can now be imported into the U.S.. Not California, thank goodness..we have much higher standards on poultry, but all this and the stupid segment in Congress wants to do away with the FDA...oh ya...the BAD government protecting what we eat! Dumb asses! You think dog food is bad now....just wait.

I just found out yesterday that our daughters favorite thing in the world- strawberry flavoring- comes from a Beavers butt! This was certainly on my didn't need to know list!!!!

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/castoreum.asp

Great post Monica, it's important to know about what we put in our dogs mouth- as well as our own- even if we don't want to know!! :yikes:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I just found out yesterday that our daughters favorite thing in the world- strawberry flavoring- comes from a Beavers butt! This was certainly on my didn't need to know list!!!!

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/castoreum.asp

Great post Monica, it's important to know about what we put in our dogs mouth- as well as our own- even if we don't want to know!! :yikes:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Ohhhhhhh myyyyyyy Gawdddddddd....:barf:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.