Crate cover, bed, bumpers

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Any recommendations on good crate covers and bumpers? Barkley likes to lay against the side of his crate and I can't see how that is comfortable laying against the metal wires! I looked at the Pet Dreams set but I don't like the cover since you can't roll up each side individually when needed.

Also I've been trying to figure out what I can put on the floor of his crate to stop the nail scraping noise. He hates beds and I have a bed and towel in there but he just pushes them aside and wants to lay on the hard plastic. He doesn't like laying on anything soft I guess since he always chooses to lay on the hard floor instead of carpet in the house as well. Or he is just trying to keep cool! I'm just looking for something that will reduce the noise from his nails at night when he's moving around in there. It gets pretty loud and I can hear it in the bedroom. I wasn't sure if anyone knew of any replacement crate floors that were less noisy or something else to cover it.

Thanks! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can easily use a sheet or big towel to cover the crate, not fancy, but cheap. As for the crate wires and the pan... nothing I can think of, but others may have some suggestions

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
You can easily use a sheet or big towel to cover the crate, not fancy, but cheap. As for the crate wires and the pan... nothing I can think of, but others may have some suggestions

Thanks! We use a towel or blanket now to cover it but want to get something a little more attractive since the crate is in the living room.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Are you wanting to cover it when he is not in it? I would not cover it when he is in there sleeping as he could get too hot. The wire crates are great because they provide plenty of ventilation. We use Primo Pads vinyl crate pads in all our crates. They provide a little cushion and are water proof and are tough. You might want to check their web site out. Just Google Primo pads.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
you can also use a door mat, thats what Chunky had until he stopped peeing on soft stuff... it'll buffer the sound without holding much heat, and they clean well if there is some mishap!

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
For Stinky's cage I made my own bumper pad and tied it to the back of the cage.I also use old fitted sheets to make his slip covers for his bed and pillow. I use the flat sheet to cover his cage in the winter. Its much easier to wash the slip covers than the bed or pillow.Plus I use a mattress pad to cover his bed in case he gets sick on it. For the cage in the family room I use carpet tape and a piece of carpet or rug.No bumpers pads or bed. It makes it too easy for him to chew when were not at home.You might want to think about using baby crib bumper pads if you don't sew. Hope this helps you.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
One more thing..I put a piece of carpet between the bottom of the cage and the tray. It seems to cut down on the noise too.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Are you wanting to cover it when he is not in it? I would not cover it when he is in there sleeping as he could get too hot. The wire crates are great because they provide plenty of ventilation. We use Primo Pads vinyl crate pads in all our crates. They provide a little cushion and are water proof and are tough. You might want to check their web site out. Just Google Primo pads.

We cover 2 or 3 sides of his crate at night to block out the light in the morning so he's not up at the crack of dawn but don't leave it covered during the day. We also have a fan on him all the time so he gets plenty of cool air! Thanks for the tip on the primo pad, I'll have to check those out!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online