brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
So, I have gone back basics with Brutus because I have noticed he is not listening. When I want him to go in his kennel he will run to the couch and not move no matter what. So I have been putting his harness on him in the morining and if he does not listen to a command he gets his leash attached and I can then make him do what I want while telling him "in your kennel" with a treat when we get there. I have been doing this for approx 3 days with good results (him following on the leash). I had told everyone in the house this is what to do including husband, son age 20 and daughters age 16 and 13. OK so now the problem, apparently my son decided that Brutus needed to go in his kennel and Brutus would not go. Of course he did not have his harness on :cursing: and he ran on to the couch. My son went to grab his collar and he said Brutus went to bite his hand. I have never seen Brutus display this kind of behavior. He is not aggresive at all. Does anyone have an opinion on what I should do? Further professional training maybe. I think I could really train him myself if EVERYONE was on the same page. Help!!

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Could it have been an aggressive move made my your son that Brutus thought he was being attacked?! What we think is innocuous our bullys might think is a move of aggression and they instinctively react. I wouldnt read too much into a one time thing. I am not much help here, Colossus doesnt have a kennel.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe, I was not home. I am angry because he really is a good boy and If everyone would just listen to what I say, there would not be a problem. I know Brutus is responding to the training because this morning when I had to leave for work, I told him "in your kennel" and he ran to the couch. All I had to do was grab his leash and as soon as he heard it he was off the couch and headig for his kennel. The problem my family is having is that we have never had and EBD before and as all you guys know they are very different from any other breed. In the past we have had labs and you could grab the collar and they got the point and did what you wanted. Now I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, they were never harshly treated, just handled differently and my family thinks I am crazy over Brutus and give him passes with alot because he is a "bulldog". This is not the case. I just have done extensive research on the breed and know that he will not respond the same way other dogs do. Ugh so frustrating. I think my family needs the training and not my baby!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have had many breeds of dog. I am NOT a trainer, but I do know that (just like with 2 parents with skin children) you all need to agree and cooperate with training him the same, or (just like skin children) he will take advantage of the situation! Maybe you should leave his harness on, so that everyone will follow your instructions. Hiring a professional trainer would not help, if everyone is not on the "same page". Just my thoughts.:)

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
If everyone would just listen to what I say, there would not be a problem
Ha ha ha!! ..the story of the lives of all parents in the world.

My boys think I always give Maggie a "pass"... Also My oldest thinks I never discipline his brother's dog, and my youngest thinks the same about the oldest's dog... They also think that about each other (I am always easier on the brother.. and hardest on them)... I think it's just a jealousy, attention seeking thing.

Maybe Brutus was biting in a playful manor and it caught your son off guard and scared him a bit.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have had many breeds of dog. I am NOT a trainer, but I do know that (just like with 2 parents with skin children) you all need to agree and cooperate with training him the same, or (just like skin children) he will take advantage of the situation! Maybe you should leave his harness on, so that everyone will follow your instructions. Hiring a professional trainer would not help, if everyone is not on the "same page". Just my thoughts.:)

I agree. I was having the harness on in the morning and off at bed time because I was afraid to have it on him in the kennel unsupervised. Do you think it is ok to leave on??

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If everyone would just listen to what I say, there would not be a problem
Ha ha ha!! ..the story of the lives of all parents in the world.

My boys think I always give Maggie a "pass"... Also My oldest thinks I never discipline his brother's dog, and my youngest thinks the same about the oldest's dog... They also think that about each other (I am always easier on the brother.. and hardest on them)... I think it's just a jealousy, attention seeking thing.

Maybe Brutus was biting in a playful manor and it caught your son off guard and scared him a bit.

Mmm..honestly I think he was telling my son "don't pull me off the couch". If Brutus does not think you are in charge ie: ME, he will decide if he is going to listen.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know where Brutus sleeps, in relation to you. If he is within hearing distance, I don't see why you couldn't leave his harness on-my dogs have theirs on all the time-they sleep in crates at night-but in my room. They do not have wire crates, but fiberglass w/fans.But, if it's on all day when everyone is up, why would you have to leave it on when all are sleeping? As long as it's on when someone is there? Just curious...

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know where Brutus sleeps, in relation to you. If he is within hearing distance, I don't see why you couldn't leave his harness on-my dogs have theirs on all the time-they sleep in crates at night-but in my room. They do not have wire crates, but fiberglass w/fans.But, if it's on all day when everyone is up, why would you have to leave it on when all are sleeping? As long as it's on when someone is there? Just curious...

I do put it on him first thing in the morning. I misunderstood you and thought you wanted me to leave it on all the time meaning at night. I swear he listens better when he is wearing it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Ha!ha! He probably thinks -no harness no rules! I think he will "straighten up and fly right" if you all follow the the plan that you have tried, as it seemed to be working for you.
If not-keep the dog-get rid of the kids!:mansfriend:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have had several bullies, and I will tell you they are extremely STUBBORN!!! They may decide just one day out of the blue that they don't want to listen to you... that's normal unfortunately. They also seem to bond to one person in a household, this has happened in our home & they seem to follow commands better from that person. My hubby is gone a lot so the dogs act clueless when he tries to get them to listen to him... LOL When I crate Winston I just say Crate, he goes in & I give him a treat. Have you put the treat in the crate so he would go in & get it or he just runs to the couch? I agree the entire house has to be on board, and that can be difficult... I have to train everybody on what to do w/Winston.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
. I think my family needs the training and not my baby!

Correct..... If not all consistent and one same page, the pup will only listen to the ONE he sees as alpha instead of all being alpha to him

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He does listen to me the best. We had a family meeting and I made sure everyone is on the same page. If we all train him the same way we should be ok. The only problem we are having really is the listening when we tell him to go in his crate. He immediately runs to the couch. He really does do better when he has his harness on so thats what we will do for the time being.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.