Dreaded Bath TIme

jodimiller

Aug 9, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
Looking for some advice on giving a stress free bath....I've tried in a little doggy bath tub...kitchen sink....getting into the bath tub with him...the shower. Boomer flips out at bath time. So I wondering if anyone had some tips. I give him a bath once a week. And sponge his face, wrinkles, and tail every day...this doesn't bother him. Its just the full bath.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have no advice on this. Brutus doesn't really like the bath but will stand stock still until it is over. Just wanted to say Boomer is super cute.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Why a full bath every week? The reason I ask is it is not good to bathe so frequent, it strips the natural oils from the skin/fur.

My guys get a bath may be twice a year or as needed due to amonth of construction in the yard and they are full of dirt/mud on a daily basis!! UGH ... :hissy:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Does Boomer like water at all? Harlea was great in the tub until she started getting bigger then she started freaking out a bit, so we just started bathing her in her little kiddie pool outside instead of the tub and she is fine. Eventually we are going to get one of those elevated doggie bathtubs and give it a shot.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Shy used to love bath times now she hates them so far for the past year im struggling with her too ,as she cant hear my voice even tho i talk to her gently ,stroke her she seem at ease when she can rest her head on my shoulders which is a bit awkward for me but at least Shy stay rather calm ,one thing while she has her bath i dont wet her face -that can be cleaned after -it seem to work for us

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hm sarah is fine in the sink bathing her. she will stand there until i am done. i also do not wash her face while bathing to keep the yeast at bay due to wetness. i do her face later if needed. the only time i would think they would need a bath that often is if dirty or smelly or they have a skin problem like sarah otherwise the less often the better. perhaps some treats afterward or during to make it something they enjoy to.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Well here's my deep dark secret. But I promise its based purely on psychology. Nothing weird LOL. I actually get in the shower with baxter and I do my thing, while he sits there, confused, but curious what is going on. In very little time, he's all wet, and the water is perfectly warm and comfortable. I turn off the air conditioning so the bathroom isn't cold and he doesn't shiver. I constantly, constantly, constantly talk happy and upbeat to him. This keeps the experience calm and happy. At some point I lather him up with something, and he barely notices. He gives me a little stink-eye ... but for the most part he just looks a little bewildered. Yet calm. I try to be very aware of his reactions to things he doesn't like. I dont rub him hard and drown his face in soap like I see people doing on youtube videos. They are so rough. I just work through the process, as I shower myself, and as far as he's concerned, we're playing in the warm rain. At least thats my goal. This may not go on forever, but as a puppy its working great. First time he got super stressed and freaked out but ever since, he's been fine. He always bounces out of the shower area and into his towel. Rolls around in it as I dry him off. He hates the hair dryer so I hold it far away and continue talking sweetly to him. Distraction is key. By the time we're done he's not traumatized whatsoever. I think getting him into the shower area and closing the door, and allowing him to stand away from the showering down water gives him an opportunity to acclimate and relax a bit. Thats how I've been doing it lately.

On other important thing: Lots of fresh water right before the shower. This stops him from devouring soapy water and making himself puke afterwards.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Fergus also hated the bath tub but he loves the shower. When I take him in the shower with me he tends to be more relaxed and see it as being fun. It also saves my back and knees. I make sure he stays out of the direct spray and let him play around with toys in the shower. I will wash him and make it a game. I only do this as needed maybe once every 3 weeks.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Stinky will run to the bathroom for a bath. He will jump in the tub and look at me. I put a rubber mat down so he wont slip.And have plenty of treat in my pocket. I have always used his dog food for treats. And am constantly telling him Good Boy. Now drying him off is another story..lol

harvey

Sep 6, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey and Tommy
Well, I guess it would depend on how old your dog is. I was able to use the bath tub until my bullies turned six or more months old. Soon afer, I transitioned them to use the shower, and now they take showers with me. It took lots of training to get them into the shower. I usually have to coerce them into the shower chamber with a favorite toy or treat, and once the shower is over, I give them a treat immediately, so they see and understand a good thing happens when at the end of the shower.

Hope this helps; Good luck-:)))

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chumley hates going in...but once he's there he stands still untill I'm done with him.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby loves water but when it's bath time he changes his tune to more of a ohh helllllllll no not this again. I just talk to him constantly in a baby voice just telling him what a good boy he is. He does start to relax when I'm scrubbing him down. Now that part he likes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Well here's my deep dark secret. But I promise its based purely on psychology. Nothing weird LOL. I actually get in the shower with baxter and I do my thing, while he sits there, confused, but curious what is going on. In very little time, he's all wet, and the water is perfectly warm and comfortable. I turn off the air conditioning so the bathroom isn't cold and he doesn't shiver. I constantly, constantly, constantly talk happy and upbeat to him. This keeps the experience calm and happy. At some point I lather him up with something, and he barely notices. He gives me a little stink-eye ... but for the most part he just looks a little bewildered. Yet calm. I try to be very aware of his reactions to things he doesn't like. I dont rub him hard and drown his face in soap like I see people doing on youtube videos. They are so rough. I just work through the process, as I shower myself, and as far as he's concerned, we're playing in the warm rain. At least thats my goal. This may not go on forever, but as a puppy its working great. First time he got super stressed and freaked out but ever since, he's been fine. He always bounces out of the shower area and into his towel. Rolls around in it as I dry him off. He hates the hair dryer so I hold it far away and continue talking sweetly to him. Distraction is key. By the time we're done he's not traumatized whatsoever. I think getting him into the shower area and closing the door, and allowing him to stand away from the showering down water gives him an opportunity to acclimate and relax a bit. Thats how I've been doing it lately.

On other important thing: Lots of fresh water right before the shower. This stops him from devouring soapy water and making himself puke afterwards.
When and if we bath Sheldon its usually one of the kids get in the shower with him and he thinks its a game they do the same thing Kevin they wash and give him a chance to acclimate to the water and then wash him and he thinks its a game he gets out all happy and bouncing around.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
If you are able to hold him I recommend showers with him while your holding him Loki was not a bath fan at all so the first few times I brought him in was more to show him it was OK and gradually worked up to actually washing him while we were in there. Another thing to try is put some water in the tub then bring him in with some of his favorite toys again working up to actually washing him

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online