Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dreaded Bath TIme

Tubby loves water but when it's bath time he changes his tune to more of a ohh helllllllll no not this again. I just talk to him constantly in a baby voice just telling him what a good boy he is. He does start to relax when I'm scrubbing him down. Now that part he likes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Well here's my deep dark secret. But I promise its based purely on psychology. Nothing weird LOL. I actually get in the shower with baxter and I do my thing, while he sits there, confused, but curious what is going on. In very little time, he's all wet, and the water is perfectly warm and comfortable. I turn off the air conditioning so the bathroom isn't cold and he doesn't shiver. I constantly, constantly, constantly talk happy and upbeat to him. This keeps the experience calm and happy. At some point I lather him up with something, and he barely notices. He gives me a little stink-eye ... but for the most part he just looks a little bewildered. Yet calm. I try to be very aware of his reactions to things he doesn't like. I dont rub him hard and drown his face in soap like I see people doing on youtube videos. They are so rough. I just work through the process, as I shower myself, and as far as he's concerned, we're playing in the warm rain. At least thats my goal. This may not go on forever, but as a puppy its working great. First time he got super stressed and freaked out but ever since, he's been fine. He always bounces out of the shower area and into his towel. Rolls around in it as I dry him off. He hates the hair dryer so I hold it far away and continue talking sweetly to him. Distraction is key. By the time we're done he's not traumatized whatsoever. I think getting him into the shower area and closing the door, and allowing him to stand away from the showering down water gives him an opportunity to acclimate and relax a bit. Thats how I've been doing it lately.

On other important thing: Lots of fresh water right before the shower. This stops him from devouring soapy water and making himself puke afterwards.
    When and if we bath Sheldon its usually one of the kids get in the shower with him and he thinks its a game they do the same thing Kevin they wash and give him a chance to acclimate to the water and then wash him and he thinks its a game he gets out all happy and bouncing around.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

If you are able to hold him I recommend showers with him while your holding him Loki was not a bath fan at all so the first few times I brought him in was more to show him it was OK and gradually worked up to actually washing him while we were in there. Another thing to try is put some water in the tub then bring him in with some of his favorite toys again working up to actually washing him
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card! JennyeStear's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jennye
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jagger and Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Default Dreaded Bath TIme

Ellie and Jagger love bath time . I'm very fortunate that they enjoy water. I have a few bath toys for them and just put them in the tub. I start out with the shower on.... I soap them up and rinse them. Then once they are rinsed I plug the tub and run some water so they can play with their toys. They both do very well. Jagger will beg and whine to get in the bath or shower if ANYONE is in there. It's gets quite interesting when we have house guest and Jagger creeps on them In the shower. Ellie just likes to have a few rubber ducks to play with and she's happy. Occasionally I will let Cate get in the shower with them and "help" this is always an entertaining thing to watch . Jagger wanting in the tub with Cate
    Jennye

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Both of my boys love to shower! When I first got Rambo, he was clean as a whistle, and after a few weeks of drewl, sweat and everything else, it was time for his shower. I put both the boys in the master bedroom, and leave the bathroom door open. As I start to shower, they walk right in. My trick, I have a shower head with water line attached, so its removable from its base. They get pretty wet right away, Then I use Baby Shampoo with Aloe, something about the Aloe in the shampoo that keeps them so calm, not sure what it is, but it works. I wash them both up, The other trick is I keep away from their head, I just wash their full bodies and rinse them thoroughly, which takes longer than the lathering part. When I exit the shower, It's usually a three ring circus, because the boys want to play, and run through the house, this is why I keep the bedroom door closed, I let them roll and play as I wipe them down with a towel, 3 towels in all, one for each, then a third to get the rest, Their heads and face, I do with a wash rag, and with pads, This also helps in keeping them from getting ear infections, as they always shake their heads, and the cotton balls go flying. Anyway, my boys are a year old, and a year and a half, and they have no quirrem about following me into the shower, never have, and still don't. They really enjoy the rolling upside down, and me getting their bellies dry, as they growl at the towel, one will run with a wet towel, like I said, It's a circus getting them dry. I never use a blow dryer on them, still remembering the electric toothbrush saga!!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by harvey View Post
    Well, I guess it would depend on how old your dog is. I was able to use the bath tub until my bullies turned six or more months old. Soon afer, I transitioned them to use the shower, and now they take showers with me. It took lots of training to get them into the shower. I usually have to coerce them into the shower chamber with a favorite toy or treat, and once the shower is over, I give them a treat immediately, so they see and understand a good thing happens when at the end of the shower.

Hope this helps; Good luck-))
    Now that's a perfect bully face (your avatar) and red & white is my fav bully color [replacer_img]

Welcome here...GOD bless y'all!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Great tips already given, what works for one won't work for another & vice versa.

Silly bullies!

@Sherry
    gives great advice (owns FIVE bullies...at the same time ) and it's true,
    to much bathing isn't good for their skin, too drying BUT how to deal w/stink?

Dawn (original formula) is gentle, inexpensive & kills fleas...unless they have skin
    problems, this works well. I put on tail area~they can't run up the body, then around
    neck so they can't run up on head & in ears plus it gives extra killing time to fleas in
    those fav areas. Strip down the back and start sudsing up, get those armpits & groin,
    down the legs, the belly, chest and then rinse well. I do head & ears later too. Have a
    plastic gallon jug or pitcher ready filled w/warm water & 2 cups cheap, white vinegar.
    Slowly pour over bully and leave in, maybe blot dry if really wet. Vinegar smell will go
    away when dry, this will keep them smelling good, longer, restore PH balance to skin,
    leaves coat very soft & white very white! It can help repel fleas & flies too.

GOD bless y'all...your baby is adorable!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jodimiller View Post
    Looking for some advice on giving a stress free bath....I've tried in a little doggy bath tub...kitchen sink....getting into the bath tub with him...the shower. Boomer flips out at bath time. So I wondering if anyone had some tips. I give him a bath once a week. And sponge his face, wrinkles, and tail every day...this doesn't bother him. Its just the full bath.
    For Bo and Bea, their favorite part of Tub Time is the drying part - me very vigorously rubbing them down with dry, fluffy towels. For that reason, they tolerate the rest of it very well -- even following me into the bathroom. Getting one of those Kong scrubbers has made the washing part more enjoyable for them too. I get in there and really scrub with that thing. They love it; particularly when you spend extra time on the tail or the neck which they seem to enjoy the most.

Keep at it. Don't give in to Boomer's desire to avoid bath time. Don't feel sorry for him. Don't hurry through it. Enjoy it while you scrub. Act like you are having the best time ever. While you are washing him, say happy things with your best sing song voice (I say, "oooo that's good huh?") and in time, he will come to think of bath time as a special fun, one on one thing with you where he feels AMAZING afterward. Bea loathes walking across a "shiny floor" but she'll do it to get to the bath tub for Tub Time. That's powerful stuff!

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    For Bo and Bea, their favorite part of Tub Time is the drying part - me very vigorously rubbing them down with dry, fluffy towels. For that reason, they tolerate the rest of it very well -- even following me into the bathroom. Getting one of those Kong scrubbers has made the washing part more enjoyable for them too. I get in there and really scrub with that thing. They love it; particularly when you spend extra time on the tail or the neck which they seem to enjoy the most.

Keep at it. Don't give in to Boomer's desire to avoid bath time. Don't feel sorry for him. Don't hurry through it. Enjoy it while you scrub. Act like you are having the best time ever. While you are washing him, say happy things with your best sing song voice (I say, "oooo that's good huh?") and in time, he will come to think of bath time as a special fun, one on one thing with you where he feels AMAZING afterward. Bea loathes walking across a "shiny floor" but she'll do it to get to the bath tub for Tub Time. That's powerful stuff!
    Great advice I'm going to try that although Sheldon tolerates tub time I would love for him to enjoy it like when I brush his teeth.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boomer
    Likes (Received)

Thank you everyone
    BoomersMom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads