ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
[MENTION=4219]Emily[/MENTION]

I was so afraid that the ingredients in that cooling pad may have been the cause... I agree w/@cowsmom it does seem very suspicious that they wouldn't release the information until you had an attorney contact them. I'm so glad that you have decided to come forward & let other people know what happened to Debo... at least this way people can make an informed decision. You could very well be saving another dog's life, and that's at least one good thing that has come from this tragedy. Once again, my heart just breaks for you... Sending lots of prayers & hugs your way!!!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I'm so sorry for your loss, Emily. Thank you for sharing your story so other dog owners know of the risk. I was thinking of getting one of those, but I will certainly be avoiding them now.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Even the cooling gel material on new mattresses is extremely questionable safety-wise. The chemicals have fumes which release into the room, and are well known to cause neurological problems. Did a lot of research on this nonsense when I was having all my problems this past year (neurological/muscular issues out of thin air). Was inspecting every aspect of my environment very closely. I had just purchased a "cooling gel" mattress prior to this starting, so I learned about them. I guess for most people they are okay but for others, they can cause major problems. Not surprised if your pup ingested all those similar chemicals. Sorry for your loss :(

That is crazy! I hope you are doing better too!
That's good to know! Thank you!

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
[MENTION=4219]Emily[/MENTION]

I was so afraid that the ingredients in that cooling pad may have been the cause... I agree w/@cowsmom it does seem very suspicious that they wouldn't release the information until you had an attorney contact them. I'm so glad that you have decided to come forward & let other people know what happened to Debo... at least this way people can make an informed decision. You could very well be saving another dog's life, and that's at least one good thing that has come from this tragedy. Once again, my heart just breaks for you... Sending lots of prayers & hugs your way!!!

Thank you for the prayers & hugs!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of sweet Debo. No words will help you get get over this, or make the pain go away, only time and taking your time to miss and grieve him will help you heal. Just know we are all here for you, if you need to talk or vent. I understand how you feel as we lost our 14 year old Jack Russell to cancer, three years ago this month, and we still miss her. Take care Hun, and again I'm so sorry.

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I'm so sorry for your loss! Thanks for sharing though so others can be cautious when using the cooling mats. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for some peace and Healing for you during this hard time.

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
So very sorry for your loss. :(

Thanks for posting the info. We have the exact same pad. I can't imagine not using it because Lucy lies on it all the time after she comes in. Maybe I'll put some sort of cover on it.

If the gel filling has a high amount of sodium, maybe that could be what started the vomiting. One night Lucy ate a blob of Playdoh and the next day she vomited for several hours, I believe because of the salt.

Best wishes! <3

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Emily I thought the cooling pad when you wrote your post the day poor Debo passed away especially when you described the vomit and you may save some more lives by posting this today, and I also was a bit confused with the vets like @Sherry wanting to do more ops when he was obviously not in good health and to want to do more just did not seem what a caring vet would do. Once again I am so sorry for your loss and hugs and prayers to you.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
The local news here is going to come interview me on Monday about what happened to Debo. They're going to take the remains of the pad and have a biologist look at it, and check out all the chemicals.

kanderson

Jul 22, 2013
Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stouffer
Oh my gosh..how horrible! I am sitting at my desk at work, tears flowing. Can't imagine having to go through this with my baby..I'm so sorry.
Thank you for sharing this with everyone. I hope you find resolution, somehow, someway. *hugs*

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
I'm really glad you posted about this. I was concidering buiying one of these for my two bullies. But knowing that they like to chew as much as they do, i'm staying away fom this product.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The local news here is going to come interview me on Monday about what happened to Debo. They're going to take the remains of the pad and have a biologist look at it, and check out all the chemicals.

I hope they can find some info whether its good or bad, hopefully you can find some closure from it all.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Oh wow...I'm so incredibly sorry to hear what happened to your baby! Thank you so much for posting this. I know everyone is always trying to find ways to keep their animals cool so I would think this would be a highly purchased product. I hope they put a warning label on their pad now to warn ppl that the gel is toxic. :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.