Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I was out of town when this all happened, but I wanted to say that I'm so so so very sorry about sweet Debo. I am like you and would need to know EXACTLY why he passed on. Did you research the type of anesthetic they used? That would be another thing to look at. It could be a bunch of stuff added together.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
You're exactly right libra926. I think the pad started it, but I guess it could've been coincidental.

He went to his family Vet two days before & had a clean bill of health. The vet even said his heart and lungs sounded great.
They gave him propofol & a breathing tube because the seizures would not stop.

I wish I knew the final diagnosis.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My heart goes out to you for the loss of Debo and the unanswered questions remaining. You need closure and to get that, you should have all your questions answered. I also wandered why the vet wanted to do other surgerys on him while he was under. That thought made me crazy with all that he was suffering from. In my mind the cooling pad first and the vet second caused poor Debo's heart to shut down. Please accept my deepest sympathy as I still can't get this out of my mind. (((hugs)))

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm still so sad about Debo. :(

I am not sure you can pursue legal action though. Just like everything, I'm certain there was a warning in tiny little writing, that it should be used under supervision. Sadly, we all got a tragic reminder of just how our Bully's get themselves in trouble. We must assume things that have chemicals in them are toxic and must be watched closely. On the one hand, these cooling pads help lots of Bully's in heat that might severely hurt them. But as consumers, we have a responsibility to use with caution.
I'm sure many of us would never have thought twice about the dangers. I would have, just because Jake eats everything...and he would've eaten that pad too. It's a horrible, tragic lesson..my heart breaks for you Emily.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Awh Sherry, thank you for the hugs!

I was wondering myself, how the palate surgery and the MRI would help him, or even change what treatment is!?

Thank you so much Sherry!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
God Bless you for posting this and maybe saving the lives of countless fur babies. I am so sorry for what happened to you and baby Debo. I would definitely talk to that lawyer and take a firm stand with the company for false advertisement how can they advertise its non-toxic when in fact it can be. Great on you for doing your research!!! Sending love hugs and prayers your way and if you ever need me I'm here.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Jennifer Clark, thank you!!!

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Thank you lokismom! It was my worst nightmare.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well im so very sorry for your loss and thanks for posting this so if it was the cooling pad then maybe others will be more careful with them if they plan on still using them. i think they are great but perhaps to be used with care. my problem is they wouldnt give you the ingredients until you got a lawyer involved. that says volumes to me. not sure you can persue them legally but at least you can warn others to the possible dangers with this product when the dog is not supervised. so sad.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
You're right cowsmom. Thank you!

B

Baxter Tiberius

I bought The Dog Cooling Pad from Keepdoggiessafe.com, it was made by
I tried for days to get the chemicals and ingredients that were in that cooling pad and the company kept telling me they were moving, or they would call me back, or email me, and they never did. So I had an attorney email them, next thing you know they emailed me all the chemicals. It turns out the gel cooling pack stuff inside of the cooling pad has a lot of sodium, which can cause swelling on the brain, which can cause seizures, which Could have killed my dog.

Even the cooling gel material on new mattresses is extremely questionable safety-wise. The chemicals have fumes which release into the room, and are well known to cause neurological problems. Did a lot of research on this nonsense when I was having all my problems this past year (neurological/muscular issues out of thin air). Was inspecting every aspect of my environment very closely. I had just purchased a "cooling gel" mattress prior to this starting, so I learned about them. I guess for most people they are okay but for others, they can cause major problems. Not surprised if your pup ingested all those similar chemicals. Sorry for your loss :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry for your loss and thanks for the info. We use the Coolaroo for them to stay cool when they are hanging out in the family room with us and they love it. I often thought about buying one of those, but now I have changed my mind and will stick with the Coolaroo.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Emily,
As I posted when this happened to you and Debo, I am soooo sorry for you.I know you have unbearable grief. How could you have known? As dog lovers we all try to do the BEST for our furkids. It occurred to me back then, that it sounded closely related to the cooling pad. It just seemed like too much of a co incidence. I feel that just because a company SAYS(that it's safe) it, doesn't mean it's true. Every day I get notices from the FDA of recalls of faulty meds, dog food, yogurts, salads,etc.
As we, the consumer learn the hard way, things are always proven toxic when there happens to be consumers who become the victim of illness or sadly, death.And we never know how many have gotten reactions until SOMEONE( of many-) comes forward and the company FINALLY issues a warning. I hope you can have some "closure" with Debo's passing-if it even saves one other bully's, or other breed's life. Praying for you-do not blame yourself as IF it was the pad, you could not have known.........

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.