I think The Dog Cooling Pad is Toxic

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I bought The Dog Cooling Pad from Keepdoggiessafe.com, it was made by
eza9yvu8.jpg
TheGreenPetShop.

I know I just posted this story, but I want to put a warning up about this product. And I guess I need closure too.

One day while I was at work, my sweet little English bulldog chewed it up, swallowed it, and threw it up. He threw up chunks so big I can't believe he managed to get that out of his throat without choking to death. When I came home from work he was having seizures, so I rushed him to the ER. The vet gave him a Valium and sent us home. When we got home it seemed like the Valium had made it Worse, he was still having seizures, still throwing up, and very sedated. I was worried he would be too sedated to throw up. So I rushed back to the ER. They kept him overnight in ICU, the seizures still wouldn't stop so they gave him some anesthesia and a breathing tube. The next day his heart stopped. The vet says he does not know how he died.

I tried for days to get the chemicals and ingredients that were in that cooling pad and the company kept telling me they were moving, or they would call me back, or email me, and they never did. So I had an attorney email them, next thing you know they emailed me all the chemicals. It turns out the gel cooling pack stuff inside of the cooling pad has a lot of sodium, which can cause swelling on the brain, which can cause seizures, which Could have killed my dog.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I just don't want this to happen to any other dog.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Oh my goodness. Thank you for sharing your story during this terrible time. I am so sorry for the loss of your baby.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:ohmy: I hope you're planning on going after them legally. That is so sad and I am so sorry for you and Debo.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I just don't want this to happen to any other dog.

Emily, thank you. I've already decided to stay as far away from those as possible worrying it was related to the cooling pad when it happened. It's so unfair for you to have lost Debo. :(. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I hope you do pursue legal action against this company!! Even if not for the money but to make sure no other bully or dog owner experience what you went through with Debo!!!

Lots of love to you

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=4219]Emily[/MENTION] Thank you for sharing your story again. This is the same cooling pad that Harlea has and we have since taken it away from her out of the same fear of what happened to your beloved Debo.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Thank you for the hug, desertskybulldogs! I'm so glad you are staying as far away as possible from that pad.
You're right, it is very unfair. Thank you!

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Tubbysmom,
I wish I could pursue legal action against that company! I'm not sure if I can though, the vet said he doesn't know what happened? I asked him, "what do you mean you don't know?" He said he knows what happened but he doesn't know how. And, he said it was not the pad because he thinks it's non-toxic he printed out the advertisement for the cooling pad and showed me that it said non-toxic. Now my sweet angel is buried so I can't do a necropsy. I still have the cooling gel that he threw up, and the receipt that I bought the stupid pad. I don't know if I have enough evidence though.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Marine91 I am so glad you took the pad away!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Tubbysmom,
I wish I could pursue legal action against that company! I'm not sure if I can though, the vet said he doesn't know what happened? I asked him, "what do you mean you don't know?" He said he knows what happened but he doesn't know how. And, he said it was not the pad because he thinks it's non-toxic he printed out the advertisement for the cooling pad and showed me that it said non-toxic. Now my sweet angel is buried so I can't do a necropsy. I still have the cooling gel that he threw up, and the receipt that I bought the stupid pad. I don't know if I have enough evidence though.

Find out from a lawyer if you have a case. Especially since they advertise it as non toxic!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Good idea, Desertskybulldogs. It was so drawn out, I can't imagine what he went through, I don't like to think about it.

And, it isn't for the money, I just do not want this to happen to another dog, ya know.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Iā€™m so so sorry again for your loss of Debo, I truly am. :hug:

I have been using the same cooling pad for a few years now and will continue to do so. With my utmost respect though, Iā€™m just not convinced that it was the cooling padā€™s gel that was the cause. This is hard for me to say as I know the pain youā€™re going through. Iā€™ve done some research since Deboā€™s death and I cannot find anything that directly links the cooling padā€™s gel to toxicity. Iā€™ll have to research the sodium levels now though for my own knowledge. Wilson will be keeping his cooling pad.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Yeah, Debo loved his cooling pad! I don't know for sure what it was either! It makes it hard because I don't have closure, that is why I tortured myself trying to find out what chemicals are in there.
I think it's ok too, as long he doesn't get curious & start chewing it up.

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
This is a great info ,we wanted to buy a cooling pad for Lily but i was sceptical on what is is inside of those pads so i said no -this info should be pinned and shared everywhere it might just prevent a tragedy
Again im so sorry for your loss xxxxxxx

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.