Sudden limping

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Well we were just at the vet Friday and the vet said dukes hips and knees are good. Duke is now 6 months and been playing like the Tasmanian devil. Yesterday after a long nap duke had a slight limp when rising from the laying position. Today I still notice a slight limp he also has been pausing today while walking outside which he never has done- mind you we are having a heat wave- walks have been short- I'm thinking he might have sprained something so I'm going to monitor it. We have a follow up get visit in about 3 weeks for the mange. Any suggestions on what I can do about the limp if it is a sprain?

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
could be growing pains if he is 6 months. Fergus and my lab did this around 5-7 months off and on each time it would go away after a few days. Keep an eye out for signs of pain. You can give him a baby aspirin or buffrin if needed. Until you see your vet.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] It could be that he tweaked it a bit while playing or it could be that he has developed a condition that is called Panosteitis (Pano for short) which is a fancy term for growing pains. It typically occurs in large breed dogs but can affect any breed of dog and usually presents itself between the ages of 5 to 14 months but can show itself sooner as it did with my Harlea. The diagnosis is made by xrays as there will normally be a visible inflammation of the long bone of the affected leg on the film. There is no super cure for it and it can continue to reoccur randomly until 2 years of age. When Harlea has a flare up we swing in to rest and stay calm mode and do our best to limit her running and jumping around and our vet gave us some pain meds and anti inflammatory meds to help as it is painful to the pup. Right now rest and relax is about the best thing you can do for Duke and monitor the limp to see if it gets worse or better.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
@Scueva It could be that he tweaked it a bit while playing or it could be that he has developed a condition that is called Panosteitis (Pano for short) which is a fancy term for growing pains. It typically occurs in large breed dogs but can affect any breed of dog and usually presents itself between the ages of 5 to 14 months but can show itself sooner as it did with my Harlea. The diagnosis is made by xrays as there will normally be a visible inflammation of the long bone of the affected leg on the film. There is no super cure for it and it can continue to reoccur randomly until 2 years of age. When Harlea has a flare up we swing in to rest and stay calm mode and do our best to limit her running and jumping around and our vet gave us some pain meds and anti inflammatory meds to help as it is painful to the pup. Right now rest and relax is about the best thing you can do for Duke and monitor the limp to see if it gets worse or better.

I think he has minor swelling - there wouldn't be swelling from growing pains would there?

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Colossus went through this a few times. If it last longer than a few days I would get it checked out. Of course, a sprain/strain would potentially last longer. Just limit movement and see if it gets better. Im not a vet, and I didnt stay in a Holiday Inn Express, but this has worked with Colossus.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I think he has minor swelling - there wouldn't be swelling from growing pains would there?
Yes there can be swelling. When Harlea's flares up she has a bit of swelling on the affected leg, but as Duke was running around it could be from a sprain as well. I am not a vet either just speaking from my personal dealings with sudden limping. The only way to really rule out or confirm one or the other is a visit to the vet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.