Moving!!

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
So, we are moving in a couple of months, from Florida to Maine!! Wow, what a difference! I'm excited, though! I think Gus will be happier, though, and get more time outside, since I believe the heat is more of a lethal threat than the cold.

Do anyone here live in a cold climate? Do I need to get him sweaters or a coat? What temperatures would you consider worthy of some kind of outerwear? Can his paws go out on the snow/ice or does he need something like boots?? I'm happy that I won't have to stress the ht temps so much.. He hasn't spent more than a few minutes outside at a time for weeks since it almost never drops below 80 degrees even at night until late September!!

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
April loves the snow -We live in Missouri so get both the cold and the heat - IMG_20121221_183358.jpgwe have never had a problem with her feet in ice or snow we just keep an eye on them to make sure they dont get cracked or start to 2013-02-21_09-50-39_241.jpg she will spend up to 15 or 20 minutes playing with me outside when i get home from work even if its below freezing

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh I love living up here where we only have 2 or 3 scorching hot weather months. It's starting to cool now, and Stig loves it because it means he can attend daycare regularly again.

They don't necessarily need a jacket. But when it's snowing or freezing cold out we tend to have them put one on. Normally the temp would be minus 10 degrees celcius or lower, when they get to wear their adorable fleece lined gear. But that's when we're walking though. If they're only going to the backyard, they run around naked, lol.

Punkin loves cold weather and thrives in it. It's funny because in the summer he only goes outside when he needs to and would run back in ASAP. When there's snow outside, he pretends that he can't hear us calling him in! He's content looking around and eating the fresh snow.

Your pockets will be fuller too. Paying the gas man is so much cheaper than the hydro thiefs. Lol.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHi, I also live in Canada, and my two guys definetley prefer the snow to the heat. We use a sweater in the fall, and they have winter parkas for the winter, but we only use these for longer walks. If they are just going out for a potty break they go out with no coat on.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Gracie hates snow... she pee's and poo's on the sidewalk so she doesnt have to go in the snow. I have to make sure the sidewalk is shoveled clean for my baby or she will just hold it til I do.. LOL
She wears a fleece as soon as it gets cold enough to wear one. ;)

NOSnow1-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Good luck with the move and we will all be looking forward to pictures :)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Here in New Jersey, we sometimes get it all, heat, humidity, cold, snow...Dudley loves the cooler weather...he begs to go out and he'll wander the yard, sit on his chair on the patio in the sun. He has a little "coat" that I got at Target. It's waterproof on the outside and has a warmer lining on the inside. When it gets down into the 30s and we are going for a walk, I'll put it on him. He also wears it when it rains...keeps him mostly dry! He doesn't mind it at all -- he'll just stand there and let me put it on! He loves the snow -- he plays in it and of course, eats it! I just don't let him out in it for too long and I watch his feet. I honestly don't think he would wear boots...and his paws are so HUGE, I don't think I could find ones to fit him.:D

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Thank you for asking! This is something I've been wondering (we live in nj).

Ha. My husband was trying to convince me that if we move to florida, we'll have the saaaame exact summers and the rest of the year will be nice. Yeah right.You have proven my point ;)

Good luck with the move. Very exciting!

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Wow. Your going from no snow to mo snow!
Maine is beautiful. That's where I wanna retire if I live to see a pension.
Here in New York we get both extremes in the hot and cold side. Luca Loves the snow and will play in it for hours if I let him. Last winter when he was still a small pup I would put his hoody on him only when it was below freezing temp 32 degrees F
0 degrees CImageUploadedByTapatalk1378664660.551124.jpg

OP
GusBus

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Thanks for all the helpful responses! I will DEFINITELY post pics! [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], what a funny pic!! I hope Gus is more willing to poo in the snow than in the rain!! LOL

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
oh, if you have to deal with the sidewalks, be sure to get pet friendly salt! the other stuff can hurt paws!! Chunk has a coat for really cold days, and a couple sweaters/ hoodies for moderatly cold days, but omg he loves to play in the snow, bouncing and rolling around in it!! AND cold weather ins cuddle weather, enjoy!!!

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
oh, if you have to deal with the sidewalks, be sure to get pet friendly salt! the other stuff can hurt paws!! Chunk has a coat for really cold days, and a couple sweaters/ hoodies for moderatly cold days, but omg he loves to play in the snow, bouncing and rolling around in it!! AND cold weather ins cuddle weather, enjoy!!!

Would you recommend booties in the case where normal salt can't be avoided? We live in an apartment complex and the maintenance staff take care of shoveling (woo woo!) but I don't think asking them to use pet friendly salt in front of my building would go so well :p

They all love Winslow though so who knows! ;) just don't want his tootsies getting cut up and dried up

MARY BARNES

Aug 27, 2013
Country
CANADA
Bulldog(s) Names
ELLIE 2013-2017....Rocky RIP (2005-2013)
Hi , I live in Ontario Canada , and love Florida we go to the Gainesville NHRA races,, in March...every year . to get out of the snow and cold .My Rocky Didn't care for rain or snow ... he would go out do his business and run as fast as he could .I would have a wait to make sure he wouldn't crash into the glass doors. It was so funny to watch. He was a sun bather,,,

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.