Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gus
    Likes (Received)

Default Moving!!

So, we are moving in a couple of months, from Florida to Maine!! Wow, what a difference! I'm excited, though! I think Gus will be happier, though, and get more time outside, since I believe the heat is more of a lethal threat than the cold.

Do anyone here live in a cold climate? Do I need to get him sweaters or a coat? What temperatures would you consider worthy of some kind of outerwear? Can his paws go out on the snow/ice or does he need something like boots?? I'm happy that I won't have to stress the ht temps so much.. He hasn't spent more than a few minutes outside at a time for weeks since it almost never drops below 80 degrees even at night until late September!!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Moving!!

How exciting! We have many here living in cold climates! They will be along shortly.. Good luck to you and safe travels! @JeannieCO. @BruceP... @savemejeebus
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 09-07-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member mc68mc's Avatar
    Real Name
    Robert McCray
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
    Likes (Received)

April loves the snow -We live in Missouri so get both the cold and the heat --img_20121221_183358-jpgwe have never had a problem with her feet in ice or snow we just keep an eye on them to make sure they dont get cracked or start to -2013-02-21_09-50-39_241-jpg she will spend up to 15 or 20 minutes playing with me outside when i get home from work even if its below freezing

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh I love living up here where we only have 2 or 3 scorching hot weather months. It's starting to cool now, and Stig loves it because it means he can attend daycare regularly again.

They don't necessarily need a jacket. But when it's snowing or freezing cold out we tend to have them put one on. Normally the temp would be minus 10 degrees celcius or lower, when they get to wear their adorable fleece lined gear. But that's when we're walking though. If they're only going to the backyard, they run around naked, lol.

Punkin loves cold weather and thrives in it. It's funny because in the summer he only goes outside when he needs to and would run back in ASAP. When there's snow outside, he pretends that he can't hear us calling him in! He's content looking around and eating the fresh snow.

Your pockets will be fuller too. Paying the gas man is so much cheaper than the hydro thiefs. Lol.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

-image-jpg-image-jpg-image-jpg-image-jpg-image-jpg-image-jpgHi, I also live in Canada, and my two guys definetley prefer the snow to the heat. We use a sweater in the fall, and they have winter parkas for the winter, but we only use these for longer walks. If they are just going out for a potty break they go out with no coat on.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Gracie hates snow... she pee's and poo's on the sidewalk so she doesnt have to go in the snow. I have to make sure the sidewalk is shoveled clean for my baby or she will just hold it til I do.. LOL
    She wears a fleece as soon as it gets cold enough to wear one.

-nosnow1-1-jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Good luck with the move and we will all be looking forward to pictures
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

Here in New Jersey, we sometimes get it all, heat, humidity, cold, snow...Dudley loves the cooler weather...he begs to go out and he'll wander the yard, sit on his chair on the patio in the sun. He has a little "coat" that I got at Target. It's waterproof on the outside and has a warmer lining on the inside. When it gets down into the 30s and we are going for a walk, I'll put it on him. He also wears it when it rains...keeps him mostly dry! He doesn't mind it at all -- he'll just stand there and let me put it on! He loves the snow -- he plays in it and of course, eats it! I just don't let him out in it for too long and I watch his feet. I honestly don't think he would wear boots...and his paws are so HUGE, I don't think I could find ones to fit him.

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for asking! This is something I've been wondering (we live in nj).

Ha. My husband was trying to convince me that if we move to florida, we'll have the saaaame exact summers and the rest of the year will be nice. Yeah right.You have proven my point

Good luck with the move. Very exciting!

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

Wow. Your going from no snow to mo snow!
    Maine is beautiful. That's where I wanna retire if I live to see a pension.
    Here in New York we get both extremes in the hot and cold side. Luca Loves the snow and will play in it for hours if I let him. Last winter when he was still a small pup I would put his hoody on him only when it was below freezing temp 32 degrees F
    0 degrees C-imageuploadedbytapatalk1378664660-551124-jpg

If my dog doesn't doesnt go to heaven then neither am I.

Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gus
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the helpful responses! I will DEFINITELY post pics! @BruceP, what a funny pic!! I hope Gus is more willing to poo in the snow than in the rain!! LOL

Real Name
    Alison
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk
    Likes (Received)

oh, if you have to deal with the sidewalks, be sure to get pet friendly salt! the other stuff can hurt paws!! Chunk has a coat for really cold days, and a couple sweaters/ hoodies for moderatly cold days, but omg he loves to play in the snow, bouncing and rolling around in it!! AND cold weather ins cuddle weather, enjoy!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads