Moving!!

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Would you recommend booties in the case where normal salt can't be avoided? We live in an apartment complex and the maintenance staff take care of shoveling (woo woo!) but I don't think asking them to use pet friendly salt in front of my building would go so well :p

They all love Winslow though so who knows! ;) just don't want his tootsies getting cut up and dried up
as long as you remember to wipe off any salt when you get home and use paw butter or coconut oil before going out to add some extra protection, both are also great for noses irretated by cold!

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
[MENTION=9723]jenzaar[/MENTION] You can also get mushers secret its great for snow, salt and hot pavments and to make your babies paws soft. I use it 3 times a week and his paws dont feel as rough when he brushes his paws against my skin. Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Mushers-Secret-Pet-Protector-7-Ounce/dp/B0002XIZXY

as long as you remember to wipe off any salt when you get home and use paw butter or coconut oil before going out to add some extra protection, both are also great for noses irretated by cold!

Great, thank you both! :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson and Emma absolutely thrive in the colder weather and that all LOVE the snow!!! When I say they love I mean they love it! So many times in winter I have to make them come in. Wilson doesn't care if it's 30 or 20 out, he just wants out there. For their paws there are a few precautions you'll need to make, especially if the temps are 20 and below and snow's on the ground. The snow can get packed in their paw pads and stick to the fur. I've only had to help Wilson back in once but I had to help one of my other dogs (Ace - he's passed now) on several occasions. He'd go out to do his business and then his poor feet would get so cold and packed with snow that he couldn't move and would stand there holding his leg up. If that happens, just picked Gus up and bring him inside and get the snow out of his pads. He'll bounce back within seconds.

He's probably going to need a bit of time to get accumulated to the colder climate. Do get him a fleece or sweater type outerwear. You can get those just about anywhere, Petsmart/Petco, etc. Wilson and Emma only get theirs on if it's 30 and below and they're going to be out playing in the snow (which is all the time in winter here).

You may also want to get some "Mushers Secret" for his paw pads in case of cracking. Gus is going to be coming from a warmer more humid area to a colder and dryer area (humidity wise for winter that is).

Good look on your move and have fun in Maine. It's so beautiful there.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You can get a pet safe deicer too. Safe Paw makes one. Just google "pet safe deicing salt."

image.jpg

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Not for nothing but the pet safe rock salt doesn't work too well. I tried several brands last winter and ended up with multi colored ice. :(

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Oh God bully's and snow is just the cutest. Tubby would live outside in the winter if we let him. He loves to chase the snow and pounce all over it. He will also walk around with his tongue out if its snowing. Make sure you have a camera handy.

as for apparell I think the other members have you covered. But I mean it never hurts to have wardrobe options available for your baby

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online