Male Bulldog Question - potty training

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Are they harder to potty train? Any recommendations? With Lola, as a puppy I had a liter box until fully trained. With boys hiking I don't see how a liter box would work. :confused:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I've only had males and all three of mine squat, they do not raise their legs. I haven't had a terrible time with any of them with housetraining, though Truman is definitely harder than the other two. Consistency and positive reinforcement is key. It will come!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson is a male and he was super easy to potty train and when they are babies they squat so you won't have to worry about the leg lifting until that 6-12 month mark if the male ever does. Samson lifts his leg now but didn't start until he was after 6 months and like Jill said, some never do.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Chief was also pretty easy the only problem I have is that if someone leaves their towel on the floor he will pee on it..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Tidus was much easier than Yuna, he still does not hike his leg yet.

You should be able to litter box train them, I did it with Yuna and Tidus and it worked great! If he does lift his leg, it will probably be much later than the potty training days.

OP
2bulliefamily

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Thanks everyone.....we will start with the liter box and go from there. Lola was so easy I sure hope "to be named" is easy too! I am also going to check into the belly bands or whatever they are called.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yep my boys were easy for the most part and they both still squat when peeing, unless they are marking the yard. (Thats the only time they hike their legs) I just gave them "cookies" (carrots usually) every time they went out and pottied outside. Worked great and they still expect the cookies every time. So funny.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas at 17 months still pees like a girl squatting I have NEVER seen him even attempt to raise his leg. I got Vegas at 4 months and he was going pretty good then, I took him out every 3 hours and rewarded him with a treat every time he went pee/poo, it took a bit for him to go to the door, but I can honestly say the only time he has ever peed in the house since is #1 when I put him in my bed like 4 times to sleep with me, he peed every time, in my bed, so therefore he will never sleep with me and #2 when he was on steroids for his ear infection. Other than that he has been an <o, and has never pottied in the house.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Daddy is proving to be AWFUL at potty training. He just doesn't seem to be getting it very quickly. Both of us have fluctuating work hours so the maximum he is in his crate is 6 hours and yet we ALWAYS come home to pee! :mad: I have even seen him walk into his cage and pee on his bed! :eek:

At least he is attempting to go to the door now when he is not in his crate :up:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I clicker trained both Orion and Vegas. They are both sqatters even tho Vegas in male and O is female. We started with every few hours going out and huge affection and treats when a potty was done correctly. Remember....reward the good and ignore the bad. Don't punish if they pee or poo inside. If you punish..they are still getting rewarded...with attention. And they may start to hide the peeing and pooing inside. Vegas has had more accidents inside than O has. We sleep upstairs and sometimes Vegas will get off the bed and go downstairs to go outside. He will sit by the door and paw at the slider. Except I'm upstairs and have no idea..I'm in sleep land. Vegas will poop then go upstairs and paw at me until I wake up. Then he will lead me downstairs..I'm thinking to outside, but it's to show me his naughty. I've never punished him. He usually will have an accident once or twice a year.

Wnstnsddy

Sep 21, 2010
Va Beach, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston was pretty easy, we got him at 9wks and within a few weeks he knew to sit infront of the door if he had to go out. He has a few small accidents when he has been in his crate for a long time and can't hold it to the door, but other than that he is pretty great. He still has yet to poop in the house...knock on wood.

OP
2bulliefamily

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Winston was pretty easy, we got him at 9wks and within a few weeks he knew to sit infront of the door if he had to go out. He has a few small accidents when he has been in his crate for a long time and can't hold it to the door, but other than that he is pretty great. He still has yet to poop in the house...knock on wood.

That is great and I hope I am that lucky! Winston is so adorable!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online