How does your bully cope with you being at work all day?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Here was Sally and Jack, and Emma less than 30 minutes after I left the house this morning for work. :babysleep:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I waited 20 years to get an EB...once I retired from NYPD I got Chum..he only has to cope for a few hours a day while I work my crappy part time job now!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
My troops sleep the day or night away when I'm at work

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Little Bosco is now 4 months old, and I've been off work and home with him since we got him at 8 weeks. I leave him alone for a couple of hours here and there, while he's napping in his crate or gone to bed for the night, but throughout the day he gets a ton of attention and "me" time..

Well..I'll be starting a job in the next week or two and am worried about how he'll manage the day without me or my husband being home to entertain him! He'll have to stay in his crate and penned off area while we're away since he would likely rip the house to shreds if we weren't there to stop him.

Lately he gets very bored and starts to cry if we leave him in his penned off area when he's awake for more than 5 or 10 minutes. Given his recent neediness, I'm really concerned about how he'll cope with this sudden change - ie. being alone for 4-5 hours at a time.

How did your dogs cope when you are off to work during the day?? Any tips? I'll be sending him to doggy daycare twice a week, but need to figure out how to deal with him for the other 3 days..

Best advise I can give you: provide adequate exercise. A tired dog is a good dog. :heart: And less likely to get into trouble. When Bo was a pup, I took him for the walk (Cesar Millan style) BEFORE work even. This provided a bit of training for body and mind and physical exercise -- both things tire a dog out!

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
AS far as I can tell, Norm holds the couch down all day while I am gone. Sometimes I leave the tv on most times I think he could care less. He's a sleepy beast.

AlphaOfGino

Sep 8, 2013
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gino
Gino (5mo old) whines and barks while he is in his crate. I've been trying to get him use to, or rather enjoy his crate, by adding his bed and chew toys in there. I've also been training him to stay in his crate without barking or whining. I'll lure him into his crate with a treat, close the door, give him a treat with praise, then i'll leave the room for a brief moment but come back with a treat and praise for him staying quiet in his crate while i was away. I'll do repetitions of that several times a day. He's been doing fairly good at it for now. At night he CAN sleep 4-5 hours without having a potty break IF he really is tired and sleeps through the night. but sometimes he does wake us up every 2-3hours for a potty break. So i think he can hold it while in the crate for a couple of hours, but I haven't experimented that yet.

As his human, I'm trying to train myself to be ok with his whining and barking. I keep telling myself that he's fine (he's been fed, he's had something to drink, he's already had a potty break, he has entertainment, but most importantly he is SAFE) and he'll get use to being in his crate and eventually stop the whining and barking once he learns that I come back in a few hours.

Any advice on what I can do to keep him from barking and whining inside his crate when he knows someone is home? Or am I heading the right direction with my training. There are people in my house that I don't necessarily want to watch him while I'm not home, but he will bark and whine for them to let him out, and sometimes they do let him out. For example, my grandmother, she doesn't like that he barks so she'll let him out. but my fear is when he is full of energy he will be all over you and sometimes he'll walk in between your legs as you walk. I would really love it if my grandmother didn't suffer a fall because he walked between her legs as she walked. there are other things too but dont need to get into details. I was thinking since his crate is in my bedroom, i could keep the bedroom door close but I don't know how he'll react. I do leave the tv and lights on. And on top of that, I'm training my grandparents to leave him in his crate, but they are just as stubborn as a bulldog is!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
She sleeps destroys her toys sleeps some more lol so by the time I go to bed she thinks its play time n pounces on me for a good 20 minutes :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.