Question for those whose bullys love/like water...

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
The heat in So Cal for the last week has been unbearable :evil: and Gypsy hates the water. This weekend I finally figured out that if I put her gigantic Kong in the kiddie pool she'll go in after it. Great, now I can cool her down and stop worrying that she'll overheat.

Now my question...how concerned should I be about her ears? I put cotton in her ears when I give her a bath but I didn't when I coaxed her into the pool. How do those of you whose bullys love water handle the ear situation?

Thanks,
Ami

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunk Loves water and ALWAYS dips his head in! I put cotton in the first few baths but he actually gets more waterin if i do that, soI stopped and he has had zero problems with it! any excess get out when he shakes, and he's good!

B

Baxter Tiberius

Yeah apparently the "shake" is the key. Let him do that.

You can also squirt some ear stuff in there which has a drying agent, which might help. I may consider this for post-ocean, post-pool adventures.

Although I tend to think that it may not be necessary, and not much point in squirting more liquid in lol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As long as you clean and dry them out the best you can after she plays in the water, you should not have a problem.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As long as you clean and dry them out the best you can after she plays in the water, you should not have a problem.

^^^^^. This is what I do after Banks plays with the hose/sprinkler

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie loves water and we have never had any issues. I just make sure to dry out her folds and clean out her ears after she's done playing. It's a lot since she plays in the water daily...but it makes her happy so I suck it up!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chumley has a fear of the water..I wish I could break him of that because I love seeing all these pics of bullies playing in the water in their pools or at the beach!

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
We have the vet ear cleaner stuff with the drying agent in it and it seems to do the trick. He shakes, we squirt, he shakes again and its all good in the hood.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Yeah... the ear drying agent should help.

We had a swimming meetup for the bulldogs in my area and I brought my baby Izzy along with the other bully that I was watching over the weekend and Izzy was fine (she did dip her entire head in the water trying to catch toys), but the other baby got a horrible yeast infection after.... so I guess it all depends on your dog too.

tekstrand24

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston just shakes after he gets out. We have not had a problem with the ears so far.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online