Weight/Food Question?

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
So as you all know we are about done switching Brynn from Purina to Fromm's - two more days of the 75% fromms, 25% Purina until all new food in the dish. Before I decided to switch her I did introduce plain yogurt (1 TBSP) and she loved that as a treat/snack. Anyways, she's 65lbs and seems to be on the bigger side for a female bully.... she eats 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 cups at night. The Fromms bag states for her weight to be feeding about 2 1/2 cups per meal, but I also heard with Fromm's you may be able to cut the amount of food given. After her food switching is through and that is settled for awhile I plan to introduce healthier treats as well, but any suggestions on the amount of food she eats per day?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:cook:Hi Amber, my two guys are 18 months old, and they weigh 45 lbs each, my vet says they are slightly overweight and should weigh 40 lbs. she says it is better for their hips and their joints, and for future health of them. They don't look overweight, but she says it's healthier for them. My two are on the smaller size for bullies, they're mother was also small, Brynnlee may be a bigger sized bully, every EB is different when it comes to size and weight. A good way to tell if your EB is overweight is too feel their ribs, you should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them, and if you look at your EB from the top view, they should have a well defined waist that goes in a little.

We feed our two guys Fromms Beef Frittata, twice a day, they get 1 cup in the morning, and 1 cup in the afternoon. I would try cutting back her food to two 1 cup feedings a day from her current 1 and a half cups. 2 and 1/2 cups seems like too much food for her. You can still give her 1Tbsp. of yogurt everyday, as this is good for the probiotics and digestion, and it boosts their immune systems. You can also give her veggies on her food, like green beans, broccoli, or cauliflower to help fill her up, as these are low in calories, and she can still have her treats of occasional fruits such as banana, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, and such, but just one of these a day, as fruits are high in sugar.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon is about the same weight 60-65 lbs and is eating about 3 cups a day, can you post a picture of Brynn taken from above her? She should have a taper inward between her ribs and her hips, you should be able to feel her ribs but not see them.

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
Heres the picture of her - tried to get her to stand still for a minute lol.

She doesn't seem fat to me, but based off of normal weight for bullies her weight is more than most. 1 cup just seems like not enough food, but I haven't taken her to see my vet yet so not sure what they will say about her weight. I can try to cut back on food but still give her treats. I think next I will introduce the green beans.. seems like a lot of peoples bullies like them.

Attachments

• 1271804_10151833590149539_1459698970_o.jpg
    1271804_10151833590149539_1459698970_o.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 118

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Her activity level is also to be considered, if she is pretty active (for a bully) then that could be perfect! Chunk just turned 1 he's 60lbs and very healthy and very active... for a bulldog! he gets 1.5cups of Fromm grainfree twice a day, uless hes also getting yogurt or veggies then he gets a little less! He loves fruits a veggies as snacks andwith meals, just remember to ease her into them, too much too fast can upset her tummy!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed out girls 3/4 cups twice a day and they eat FROMM Pork & Peas. BeBe weights 57 lbs. and is 7 years old. Diva is 1 year old and 58 lbs. and we feed her 1 cup twice a day. So if you girl is a little over weight I would feed her 1 cup twice a day and after a few months still needs to loose a little weight then cut it down to 3/4 cup twice a day. The older they get they do not need as much food. Plus a lean bully is a healthy bully.

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
Active for a bulldog.... lol well... we go on a walk every night which she loves. We also play around every night - she likes to play tug - o - war, she'll freak out in the yard and start doing laps and rolling but that burst of energy doesn't last but otherwise she's a typical bulldog. Lol so I guess I am not sure shes not super active and bouncing off the walls but she doesn't sleep all night and day either. I have only introduced yogurt then decided to switch food so put a hold on the treats until after the food has been settled down for awhile. I am just concerned if she is over weight that it is going to be bad for her hips/joints and having to put down a dog previous due to weight issues causing bad hips I can't and would hate to have to go through that again with Brynn.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.