• Start date

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June is 13 weeks tomorrow (her birthday is 6-6-13) and we are almost done switching her from Eukanuba Puppy (lamb) to Fromms Puppy Gold. We give her 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. She seemed fine on the Eukanuba but I noticed it doesn't have high ratings, and she is doing well on the switch and seems to like the Fromms. We mix in a little water to soften it up, and also put a spoon full of yogurt on top for dinner. She poops only 2-4 times a day. Usually as soon as we take her out in the morning and then a few hours after dinner (around bed time). Sometimes she will only go once during each time, but sometimes she'll go and then walk around a little and go again. But never more than 4 times a day usually. She was 15.8 lbs this weekend when I weighed her and she weighed 9.2 lbs at 8 weeks old. We only give her yogurt and frozen green beans as treats and her vet is happy with her size and weight.

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
Is that a PUPPY FOOD?????? If not, that could be your problem right there.

Nature's Logic is an all stages food. We got Lucy at 9 months and have fed her Nature's logic since then (diverted a while to switch to Fromm's, but she does better on Nature's Logic Lamb or Venison).
I feed her just shy of a cup in the morning by 7 and a cup around 6p.m. She is 15 months tomorrow and weighed 41.6 pounds last week at the vet. Her vet is very happy with her appearance.
Lucy poops first thing in the morning and in the evening after she eats. It sounds like some of the things you're giving her might be the problem? Lucy doesn't do well with salmon oil, while the bully up the street has no problem. Lucy loves banana, frozen green beans, and apple. She doesn't get a lot of treats. I also give her a TB of plain, unsweetened, greek yogurt every morning with her food. When I introduced each thing it was in isolation of any other treat to see if there was a problem before I added the next.

Mommy2ABully

Sep 4, 2013
Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
London
It's been a few months but I remember London pooped about 10 times a day or more. And I was surprised at the size also. She only pooped about once in her crate overnight if we didn't get up to let her out in the middle of the night. She is now 8 1/2 months and still doesn't only poop twice a day :)

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

[MENTION=8634]Murphy Wong[/MENTION]
Thank you! Very helpful calculator. Turns out im NOT FEEDING HIM ENOUGH! LOL .... geez. No way. 2.2 cups for this guy .... if I fed him that much he'd be exploding all over the place.

I actually downed his food intake a little today. Maybe 1.5 cups instead of pushing 2 ....

Based on my understanding of digestive systems, if too much is being pushed through too quickly, this will result. He's obviously not absorbing it all for whatever reason.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
@Murphy Wong
Thank you! Very helpful calculator. Turns out im NOT FEEDING HIM ENOUGH! LOL .... geez. No way. 2.2 cups for this guy .... if I fed him that much he'd be exploding all over the place.

I actually downed his food intake a little today. Maybe 1.5 cups instead of pushing 2 ....

Based on my understanding of digestive systems, if too much is being pushed through too quickly, this will result. He's obviously not absorbing it all for whatever reason.

A puppy should be fed 3 times a day you can divide the 2 cups in 3 feedings until he is at least a few months old. We were giving Fergus 3 cups divided in 3 feedings until Fergus was 5 months. Too much food with a small tummy could be upsetting his digestive system. Try this if it is still an issue cut back a bit of this kibble but still do 3 feedings if it continues you need to change the protein could be he is sensitive to something in the kibble. And cutting out all the extra and introduce back one at a time once you figure out what is causing his poop issues

Last edited:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
If that continues I would look into a different food. When both of mine were that age they were eating 3 cups a day- the food took trial and error to get the poop right- once I went raw poop decreased to 2-3 SMALL times a day- I me too Ed raw cause you and I have spoken about it in the past. Hope you get it figured out

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Well I figured out what was wrong. It was the food. As amazing as Natures Logic is, it was not sitting well with Baxters digestive system. I woke up today to 7 more loads of poop in his playpen area and 5 more outside on the balcony (he has a doggy door now). Insane.

So I did some reading, and decided to switch him to boiled chicken breast and rice / potatoes (with no skins) today. The reasoning? Same as paleo diet for humans. Non inflammatory, easy to digest, and "calming" to the gut. Instantly .... and i mean instantly .... he stopped pooping. This entire day, for the first time in 4 weeks, he only pooped one time, very small. Absolutely nothing else all day. 100% instant cure!

I realize now that he literally was not absorbing any of his food. His weight is so low most likely because of this too. The breeder saw a picture of him and told me he is extremely undernourished. I am so thankful now that he ate a crap ton of food today and it all stayed inside him, no doubt getting absorbed and nourishing his body. I feel horrible ... really horrible that he may not have been getting proper nutrients this whole time, at a very important stage in his development.

I always told myself that when I get an english bulldog, I would put him on a paleo, barf / non inflammatory whole foods diet. Time to start.

Thanks everyone.

@riisi [MENTION=7262]Kross225[/MENTION] [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=8750]KarenP[/MENTION] [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] [MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION] [MENTION=9595]jm00ser[/MENTION] [MENTION=9325]Samantha Orts[/MENTION] [MENTION=8470]shobbsie[/MENTION] [MENTION=8634]Murphy Wong[/MENTION] [MENTION=9818]Mommy2ABully[/MENTION] [MENTION=8050]Ashleym[/MENTION]

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

PS: I'm looking forward to an entirely new universe of easier potty training :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Document what the ingredients were in the food, because something in it certainly was not agreeing with poor Baxter! Most likely one of the top 5 ingredients. I've always had the exact opposite problem with Natures Logic ( but I've only tried the duck and beef ones). I ended up with poop of steel that we actually had to add some water to it.

Just another thought came to mind, any chance he was having an issue with the added stuff you were giving?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

I tried Natures Logic without any added fun stuff (kefir, salmon oil, olive oil, etc) and he still pooped 100x a day.
Today I think he had 2 complete chicken breasts and half a large potato (all mashed up) and literally didn't poop AT ALL !!!!!!!
I dont think he's constipated either. I think he's finally absorbing his food.

Honestly I think the Natures logic is probably just too much of a good thing.
Its extremely, extremely rich food ... which is probably outstanding for an adult dog.
He had the same problems with Royal Canin.

Many people vehemently state that dogs were not meant to eat kibble anyways, from what I'm reading.
Whole foods - if possible - seem to agree with a lot of breeds a lot better than processed.
I wont go raw, but I have always planned to eventually get him on a whole food meat/veggie/bone diet (barf).
Paleo diet is seriously revolutionary. Way too much evidence that it is insanely beneficial for proper health in humans.
Reduces risk of heart disease, autoimmune disease, neurological problems, cancers, and anything associated with inflammation (which is the precursor to pretty much every disease in the book).

Top 5 ingredients in Natures Logic:
Only thing I see strange is the "Millet" which is a grain.
Grain free (at least with Paleo) is extremely important as grains are not easily digested at all.

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Glad you are getting to the bottom of it, like it was already mentioned there was something in NL that his body didnt agree with

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.