Poopy Quantity!

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

Keep in mind, Baxter is only 9 pounds. I can still carry him with one arm easily. His belly area is about the size of a softball at the most.

Today Baxter had *maybe* two measures cups of food.

Today Baxter crapped TEN TIMES. Each time a pile about the size a little bigger than a golf ball ... or the size of a Tangerine.

He was fed twice today. I just don't know where he's getting it from. Is this volume of poop normal? Try to picture ten piles of poop the size of a tangerine.

Oh. I forgot. This doesn't include the FIVE poop piles in his crate from overnight.

Potty training would be easier if this were two poops a day. :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
What are you feeding him? What goes in comes out too...and if there's a lot of poo, the food is not very good or may not agree with him.

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Puppies tend to poo a lot. A real lot. Their little metabolisms are like in overdrive the first few months of their life so a lot of poo is to be expected. The quality of the food you give 'em makes a huge difference to. If the food had a lot of "filler" then less gets absorbed by the body and you end up with more waste. What food do you give your dog? Is the poo solid? Has he had a fecal test lately?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Agree puppies do pee and poo a lot ,also if they are overfeed they can have runny poos , again the food quality you feed also plays important role -to their digestive system
What i noticed when i was experimenting with different feeds is not only quantity,quality but the size difference in their poo-based on my girls -the better the food the smaller the poo ;-)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
When I was feeding Brutus Solid Gold as a puppy I noticed he was pooping alot and his poop wasnt too formed it was kinda soft. As soon as we switched to a better quality food Fromm within 3-4 weeks he was pooping less! Within a month he only pooped 2-3 x a day :) What are you currently feeding him?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think that's a lot of poo! Sounds like 2 cups going in and 4 cups coming out- just doesn't sound right. Are they firm or soft?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

I feed him nature's logic. Which is one of the top five recommended on the site, and reading the label, it's 100% all-natural whole food based. It's the best I could possibly think of. I just think he's very little. 2 full cups maybe is too much? I don't know. And his poop is not completely solid. But it never has been. On any food.

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
How old? I still only give my 6 mo about 1 1/2 cups of puppy food per day, plus other stuff (apples, yogurt, carrots...). She's 35 lbs!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would maybe first try and cut back a little on the food. Is that two cups per meal, or two cups total??

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I feed him nature's logic. Which is one of the top five recommended on the site, and reading the label, it's 100% all-natural whole food based. It's the best I could possibly think of. I just think he's very little. 2 full cups maybe is too much? I don't know. And his poop is not completely solid. But it never has been. On any food.

Is that a PUPPY FOOD?????? If not, that could be your problem right there.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)

Is that 2 full cups at one feeding? If so try cutting back to 1 cup each feeding... Also like Bruce mentioned if its puppy food that could be the issue along with too much food! When we fed Brutus 2 cups am 2 cups pm of Fromm he had soft poo so we cut back and boom it was good!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I am the queen of too much puppy poop!! When Bogey first came to us ( 8 weeks old, 10 lbs) I immediately took him off Eukanuba puppy( slow wean of course) and tried Fromms puppy. That's when all my threads started, as I complained vigorously that he was having 8,10, 12 poops a day. Long story short it took MONTHS to find the right food for his tummy and it wasn't Fromms. He is now on Earthborne Meadowfeast and has 2 poops a day ( he is now 11 months old) and the poop is nice and firm. Whatever changes you do, do them slowly. That amount of poop is abnormal and it's either too much food, or not a tolerant food to him. It's really trial and error. Patience. It does get better!!

jm00ser

Aug 10, 2013
Tampa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Definitely agree with all the others. it took us a few tries as well. Breeder recommended Royal canin and we started her on that when we got her home. She was pooping basically every time she went to pee. Also, poop was yellowie and soft, and we even had a run of soft serves for a bit.

Changed her over to Fromm's Surf and Turf, poop was less frequent, but "quality" only improved a bit, still softer than desired. At this point I asked around here and read up that some bullies cant handle poultry... so we switched to Beef Frittata, and within a week, perfect poops and 2-3 times daily!

Could be that his tummy doesn't like an ingredient!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

To respond to the question: It has only been 1 cup (honestly about 3/4 of a cup) each time, twice a day.

But I have been adding things like olive oil, kefir milk, salmon oil, etc at times. Im going to just go bare bones dog food for a bit and see how things work.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
It could be the stuff you add to the food that cause this
We buy salmon dog food (it stinks!) but at least i dont have to add salmon oil to their diet any more
We sometimes give them kefir but not every day
Hope you get to the bottom of it

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online