Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poopy Quantity!

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Poopy Quantity!

Quote Originally Posted by mer55 View Post
    yep but by the number of posts I had on this subject when bogey was small, I earned the title!
    Queen of Your Crown Milady...

Baxter Tiberius

Well I figured out what was wrong. It was the food. As amazing as Natures Logic is, it was not sitting well with Baxters digestive system. I woke up today to 7 more loads of poop in his playpen area and 5 more outside on the balcony (he has a doggy door now). Insane.

So I did some reading, and decided to switch him to boiled chicken breast and rice / potatoes (with no skins) today. The reasoning? Same as paleo diet for humans. Non inflammatory, easy to digest, and "calming" to the gut. Instantly .... and i mean instantly .... he stopped pooping. This entire day, for the first time in 4 weeks, he only pooped one time, very small. Absolutely nothing else all day. 100% instant cure!

I realize now that he literally was not absorbing any of his food. His weight is so low most likely because of this too. The breeder saw a picture of him and told me he is extremely undernourished. I am so thankful now that he ate a crap ton of food today and it all stayed inside him, no doubt getting absorbed and nourishing his body. I feel horrible ... really horrible that he may not have been getting proper nutrients this whole time, at a very important stage in his development.

I always told myself that when I get an english bulldog, I would put him on a paleo, barf / non inflammatory whole foods diet. Time to start.

Thanks everyone.

@riisi @Kross225 @Pati Robins @ChanelnBrutus @desertskybulldogs @KarenP @kazzy220 @BruceP @mer55 @jm00ser @Samantha Orts @shobbsie @Murphy Wong @Mommy2ABully @Ashleym

Baxter Tiberius

PS: I'm looking forward to an entirely new universe of easier potty training

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Document what the ingredients were in the food, because something in it certainly was not agreeing with poor Baxter! Most likely one of the top 5 ingredients. I've always had the exact opposite problem with Natures Logic ( but I've only tried the duck and beef ones). I ended up with poop of steel that we actually had to add some water to it.

Just another thought came to mind, any chance he was having an issue with the added stuff you were giving?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Baxter Tiberius

I tried Natures Logic without any added fun stuff (kefir, salmon oil, olive oil, etc) and he still pooped 100x a day.
    Today I think he had 2 complete chicken breasts and half a large potato (all mashed up) and literally didn't poop AT ALL !!!!!!!
    I dont think he's constipated either. I think he's finally absorbing his food.

Honestly I think the Natures logic is probably just too much of a good thing.
    Its extremely, extremely rich food ... which is probably outstanding for an adult dog.
    He had the same problems with Royal Canin.

Many people vehemently state that dogs were not meant to eat kibble anyways, from what I'm reading.
    Whole foods - if possible - seem to agree with a lot of breeds a lot better than processed.
    I wont go raw, but I have always planned to eventually get him on a whole food meat/veggie/bone diet (barf).
    Paleo diet is seriously revolutionary. Way too much evidence that it is insanely beneficial for proper health in humans.
    Reduces risk of heart disease, autoimmune disease, neurological problems, cancers, and anything associated with inflammation (which is the precursor to pretty much every disease in the book).

Top 5 ingredients in Natures Logic:
    Only thing I see strange is the "Millet" which is a grain.
    Grain free (at least with Paleo) is extremely important as grains are not easily digested at all.
    Last edited by Baxter Tiberius; 09-09-2013 at 01:54 AM.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Glad you are getting to the bottom of it, like it was already mentioned there was something in NL that his body didnt agree with
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Lets hope that Baxter is now headed in the right direction. Please keep us in the loop as to how he is doing.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    I tried Natures Logic without any added fun stuff (kefir, salmon oil, olive oil, etc) and he still pooped 100x a day.
    Today I think he had 2 complete chicken breasts and half a large potato (all mashed up) and literally didn't poop AT ALL !!!!!!!

Its extremely, extremely rich food ... which is probably outstanding for an adult dog.

Many people vehemently state that dogs were not meant to eat kibble anyways, from what I'm reading.
    Whole foods - if possible - seem to agree with a lot of breeds a lot better than processed.
    I wont go raw, but I have always planned to eventually get him on a whole food meat/veggie/bone diet (barf).
    Paleo diet is seriously revolutionary. Way too much evidence that it is insanely beneficial for proper health in humans.
    Reduces risk of heart disease, autoimmune disease, neurological problems, cancers, and anything associated with inflammation (which is the precursor to pretty much every disease in the book).

Grain free (at least with Paleo) is extremely important as grains are not easily digested at all.
    I went through 5 different foods before landing on something Luca could tolerate. He gets taste of the wild now. It is very rich but is grain free and reasonably priced. Good luck on your hunt for the right food

If my dog doesn't doesnt go to heaven then neither am I.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mia
    Likes (Received)

That's great news! So happy to hear you caught this. In case it is a grain allergy there a lots of grain free options. Mia is on Canine Caviar Grain Free Puppy.. It's chicken based. She usually 2-3 times a day - depending on what else I feed her. There are lots of grain free options out there. I really hope you can find the right one for Baxter

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

Oh, also, there is this paste they sell that you can add to his food that is packed with condensed nutrients. I cant remember the name right now but they have it at almost any chain pet store. If your boy is undernourished than I highly recommend it. We used it when my Luca had giardia and was firing poop out all day like a cannon.

If my dog doesn't doesnt go to heaven then neither am I.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post

It's excellent that you are finally getting his poop "normal". I dont' think there is any harm in you keeping him on the chicken and rice for a while until you get his system calmed down a little. After that I suggest that you head over to the forum on here all about homecooked food. From a nutritional point of view you need to add other things like veggies to his diet and in the right proportion rather than just feed chicken and rice. Chicken and rice is basically the bland diet that we all use when our bullies get an upset tummy!!!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Great to hear, baxter! I know you have been worried about your pup. Here's to rapid weight gain!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads