Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poopy Quantity!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Poopy Quantity!

Definitely agree with all the others. it took us a few tries as well. Breeder recommended Royal canin and we started her on that when we got her home. She was pooping basically every time she went to pee. Also, poop was yellowie and soft, and we even had a run of soft serves for a bit.

Changed her over to Fromm's Surf and Turf, poop was less frequent, but "quality" only improved a bit, still softer than desired. At this point I asked around here and read up that some bullies cant handle poultry... so we switched to Beef Frittata, and within a week, perfect poops and 2-3 times daily!

Could be that his tummy doesn't like an ingredient!

Baxter Tiberius

To respond to the question: It has only been 1 cup (honestly about 3/4 of a cup) each time, twice a day.

But I have been adding things like olive oil, kefir milk, salmon oil, etc at times. Im going to just go bare bones dog food for a bit and see how things work.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It could be the stuff you add to the food that cause this
    We buy salmon dog food (it stinks!) but at least i dont have to add salmon oil to their diet any more
    We sometimes give them kefir but not every day
    Hope you get to the bottom of it
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Real Name
    Samantha
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    June
    Likes (Received)

June is 13 weeks tomorrow (her birthday is 6-6-13) and we are almost done switching her from Eukanuba Puppy (lamb) to Fromms Puppy Gold. We give her 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. She seemed fine on the Eukanuba but I noticed it doesn't have high ratings, and she is doing well on the switch and seems to like the Fromms. We mix in a little water to soften it up, and also put a spoon full of yogurt on top for dinner. She poops only 2-4 times a day. Usually as soon as we take her out in the morning and then a few hours after dinner (around bed time). Sometimes she will only go once during each time, but sometimes she'll go and then walk around a little and go again. But never more than 4 times a day usually. She was 15.8 lbs this weekend when I weighed her and she weighed 9.2 lbs at 8 weeks old. We only give her yogurt and frozen green beans as treats and her vet is happy with her size and weight.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Two
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    Is that a PUPPY FOOD?????? If not, that could be your problem right there.
    Nature's Logic is an all stages food. We got Lucy at 9 months and have fed her Nature's logic since then (diverted a while to switch to Fromm's, but she does better on Nature's Logic Lamb or Venison).
    I feed her just shy of a cup in the morning by 7 and a cup around 6p.m. She is 15 months tomorrow and weighed 41.6 pounds last week at the vet. Her vet is very happy with her appearance.
    Lucy poops first thing in the morning and in the evening after she eats. It sounds like some of the things you're giving her might be the problem? Lucy doesn't do well with salmon oil, while the bully up the street has no problem. Lucy loves banana, frozen green beans, and apple. She doesn't get a lot of treats. I also give her a TB of plain, unsweetened, greek yogurt every morning with her food. When I introduced each thing it was in isolation of any other treat to see if there was a problem before I added the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    To respond to the question: It has only been 1 cup (honestly about 3/4 of a cup) each time, twice a day.
    Please try their Dogs feeding chart.
    Last edited by Murphy Wong; 09-04-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    London
    Likes (Received)

It's been a few months but I remember London pooped about 10 times a day or more. And I was surprised at the size also. She only pooped about once in her crate overnight if we didn't get up to let her out in the middle of the night. She is now 8 1/2 months and still doesn't only poop twice a day

Baxter Tiberius

@Murphy Wong
    Thank you! Very helpful calculator. Turns out im NOT FEEDING HIM ENOUGH! LOL .... geez. No way. 2.2 cups for this guy .... if I fed him that much he'd be exploding all over the place.

I actually downed his food intake a little today. Maybe 1.5 cups instead of pushing 2 ....

Based on my understanding of digestive systems, if too much is being pushed through too quickly, this will result. He's obviously not absorbing it all for whatever reason.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    @Murphy Wong
    Thank you! Very helpful calculator. Turns out im NOT FEEDING HIM ENOUGH! LOL .... geez. No way. 2.2 cups for this guy .... if I fed him that much he'd be exploding all over the place.

I actually downed his food intake a little today. Maybe 1.5 cups instead of pushing 2 ....

Based on my understanding of digestive systems, if too much is being pushed through too quickly, this will result. He's obviously not absorbing it all for whatever reason.

A puppy should be fed 3 times a day you can divide the 2 cups in 3 feedings until he is at least a few months old. We were giving Fergus 3 cups divided in 3 feedings until Fergus was 5 months. Too much food with a small tummy could be upsetting his digestive system. Try this if it is still an issue cut back a bit of this kibble but still do 3 feedings if it continues you need to change the protein could be he is sensitive to something in the kibble. And cutting out all the extra and introduce back one at a time once you figure out what is causing his poop issues
    Last edited by Ashleym; 09-04-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

If that continues I would look into a different food. When both of mine were that age they were eating 3 cups a day- the food took trial and error to get the poop right- once I went raw poop decreased to 2-3 SMALL times a day- I me too Ed raw cause you and I have spoken about it in the past. Hope you get it figured out

Real Name
    Alison
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mer55 View Post
    I am the queen of too much puppy poop!!
    O.o A most peculiar thing to proclaim yourself royalty of!!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by truffle shuffle View Post
    O.o A most peculiar thing to proclaim yourself royalty of!!
    yep but by the number of posts I had on this subject when bogey was small, I earned the title!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads