Luca Brasi's professional evaluation

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Hello out there in bulldog land. It's been a rough month for our little family unit. Luca has been causing a lot hubbub around the house and not to mention some tomfoolery at the dog park so we sought out the help of the professional trainer. I don't mean the good folks you meet at Petco and petsmart. Nothing against those trainers. They are good at what they do, but we needed some next level help and the next level is where we went.

I was hesitant to mention the trainer's name in my earlier post because I hadn't met him yet and I don't endorse anybody or anything until I know what the deal is. Well; now I know.

We just left the training facility of Michael Shire, professional dog trainer and I can honestly say that this dude knows his #%^*. He's been training dogs his whole life and it shows. He brought us into his facility and talked with us about Luca (while observing Luca running around the place) for a full hour. Didn't try to rush us out the door or anything. What I liked about the experience too was no detail of Luca's behavior was too small. Things I thought were trivial (the stuff my girlfriend brought up) turned out to be key factors in what I refer to as Luca's pathology.
I learned more in one hour with this guy than I have in the last year of owning a dog. In other words I feel like I know so much more about how my dog thinks than I did before. And this meeting was completely free!!

And as it turns out, Michael has a 10 year old bulldog named Rosie. When I heard that, i was sold. He knows the breed. He knows their mannerisms and idiosyncrasies. At one point he even said "I know how much you can love a bulldog and vice versa; there will always be a bulldog in my life till the day I die" (loose quote). I tell you the truth; after I heard that I woulda let this guy marry my sister no questions asked.

Now, the dude ain't cheap. For real. For him to come to your house 6 times will cost you a Long Island 2 bedroom rent check. Less for private lessons at the facility which is surely the route we are taking.

I got a good feeling about this although I found out that most of Luca's bad habits can only be broken by a ton of work on our part. One of the things that is gonna be tough is no more sleeping in the bed with us till he earns it. Luca is looking up a me right now from his doggy bed in the floor with a face that says "what did I do wrong?" It's killing me but I gotta be tough for a while. I do let him get away with way too much stuff. Hopefully this time next year I'll have a bully that doesn't pull on his leash or freak out when he sees people or abuse other dogs and then maybe I can have my little guy back up here in the bed with us :(

Last edited:
OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378259151.664356.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1378259170.859031.jpg

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Wow, double whammy...first sad face followed by stink eye, and what an adorable face,
who can resist it...not me!

Big Mike, do resist it tho, follow this guy's great advice (you're certainly PAYING for it) and
it will be worth 10 times the money, the time & your effort in enjoying as well as everyone
else, Luca's great behavior and for a lifetime! Really, not so expensive when you break
down cost vs lifetime of benefits. Let us know of the journey, always enjoy your posts!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fantastic!!! I hope it goes great and Luca catches on quick so he can be all snuggled with you again!

Keep us posted and best of luck

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I hope it is all you hope for and more! My sitter is one of these types of professional trainers..schooled for years and has her own facility too. They are masters for sure! :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Big Mike, I'm so glad that you found someone that YOU feel comfortable with... that means everything!!! Good Luck & keep us posted :D

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
How do you resist that face??? Luca is such a handsome fella...hopefully at the end of this you will have your little guy back up there with you...does your sister know your going to marry her off???:ROFL:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
It's that face...hard to resist! But hang in there. I had one of those trainers and with a lot of hard work, she helped me find the most wonderful dog inside Dudley! Now he's my best buddy!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's great. I'm happy you got to work with him and and are going through with this. I'm surprised he said that about how much love you can give him and vice versa. That fascinates me. I really want to hear how this goes. Thanks for keeping us in the loop Mike. You're teaching us all about our babies. Really hope this goes well. I can't believe how big Luca's gotten, he's one handsome fellow.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:goodjob:I'm so glad you found a trainer you trust, and hope that everything works out for you and Luca. It will be hard to stick to the tough love, those faces definitely melt our hearts, but it will pay off in the end, and then you and Luca will be able to have the relationship you were meant to have. Good luck with your little guy, the hard work, the training, and the consistency will all be worth it. Keep us posted on how he's doing, and keep those adorable pictures coming as well. Luca is so cute. Your great bully parents, good job Dad.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Aaaw, look at that face...he's pulling all the moves...Good luck! BTW, I'm sure that because my boys are not allowed in the bedroom at all, we've never had behavioral problems with them. They know who's the ruler of this house. Luckily they let us lay on the floor with them so we can still snuggle.

Last edited:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
It really warms my heart to know how much the "dogs" (dare I call them a dog)? on this site are loved and taken care of. You are a special person to recognize there is a problem with your baby and then in these tough times to commit to ensuring he is given the lessons to be the best he can be is just amazing. My wish is that every dog could be shown the love and loyalty that out babies are given. Maybe one day... anyway keep up the great work with Luca and keep us posted.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Aww poor baby -but yes you can correct the behaviour -keep at it and soon you will have well behaved fur friend ,good lick and keep us updated

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad the meeting went so well! I'm sure the training will be well worth it for you! Please keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.