Loose Stool

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I've been feeding Winston Royal Canin Bulldog Puppy food since I got him. He stool is always normal at first but then he poops a second time and it's soft. Is that normal in bulldogs? I've heard their stool is softer then other dogs.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Larry, Welcome. It could be caused by many things... one of the more common causes with puppies is overfeeding. Overall most common thing is food allergies. Lets start with overfeeding... How much are you giving him and how often..???
And how old is he??
@cowsmom

OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
He is 5 1/2 months and gets about 1 1/4 cups of food 3 times a day.

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
He is 5 1/2 months and gets about 1 1/4 cups of food 3 times a day.
I'm no expert but this seems like a lot of food to me. I would cut it back to 1 cup and see how Winston reacts.

Biggest thing I have picked up around here is observation. Continually watch and observe your pup. Check out the dog food ratings as well when you can. We feed our 16 month old sweetie 1 cup twice a day of Fromms Pork n Peas. She also gets grain free treats and plain yogurt. Hope that helped :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
He is pretty close to Amy in age.... she is about to be 6 months old this week. Amy gets 2/3 cups, 3 times a day of Fromm puppy gold in the pink bag. Im not that familiar with the Royal Canin Puppy but it might be worth trying cutting him back to 1 cup, x3. Better yet, as far as nutrition is concerned would be to do a slow transition to Fromm. Try cutting him back and see what happens.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes most common cause of loose stool in puppies is overfeeding and that does seem like alot of food. sometimes just 1/4 cup can mean the difference in loose stool or solid. if the first :poo: is solid when they havent eaten anything overnight then loose later it could be the food. cut back to 1 cup 3 times a day as bruce said and go from there. you judge how much to feed by :poo: and your dogs weight not by the bag directions. you may want to perhaps check out another food as well to me rc is overpriced for what you get. perhaps check out the food ratings here or dogfoodadvisor is a great place to see how your food rates. not saying you have to switch just throwing that out there cause with bullies sometimes you gotta use what works best for them.

OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I will try to cut down on the kibble if it doesn't work I will try and switch his food.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I will try to cut down on the kibble if it doesn't work I will try and switch his food.

Remember..if you switch..always do a slow transition..over a 10 day period, gradually reduce the old while increasing the new. A little canned pumpkin..100% pure pumpkin, NOT the pie filling....added to kibble will help too. A tsp over food.

OP
L

LarryZek

Sep 1, 2013
Brooklyn,NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Remember..if you switch..always do a slow transition..over a 10 day period, gradually reduce the old while increasing the new. A little canned pumpkin..100% pure pumpkin, NOT the pie filling....added to kibble will help too. A tsp over food.

I give canned pumpkin to my Doxie. I'm afraid the pumpkin will loosen the stool even more.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Actually..the pumpkin works both ways. It is wonderful for loose stools. I keep it on hand all the time. Give Winston a tsp full over his lesser amount of kibble. :)

Yep that stuff is magic!!!! :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online