Collar vs harness?

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
I was just wondering where everyone attaches rabies tag and name tags. I've heard that collars are a big no-no. Does that just pertain to walks? We use a harness for walks and puppy class. Other than those times, our 15 wk old wears nothing. Should she have a collar with name tag and rabies tag on for use around the house, then switch over to harness when walking? :walk:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We just put the tags on a small Carabiner type clip that attaches to a loop on the harness when we take the girls places. Here at home they wear nothing unless we put a fleece on them when it's cold, or an outfit for dress up. (But that is not a daily occurrence although some might find that hard to believe from the fashion princess.)

Both of our girls have microchips though just in case the unthinkable happened and they ended up out of the yard unattended.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
For bulldogs a harness is far superior to a regular collar. A collar, especially when the dog is tugging at the leash, can damage the dogs throat
Other than walking on leash my dog does not wear a collar or harness around the house, except in a training situation

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
We have collar and harness. We were wearing collar-loosely but I think it's irritating his neck or retaining moisture or something. About the biggest plus to the collar was it gave me something to hold him by when we do all our daily maintenance rituals. For walks or going out, we use harness.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, we use both we use a harness for longer walks, and a collar for short potty breaks, but at home we don't use anything. Both of our guys are microchipped

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Same as above, I have both. When we go places I always use a harness, better to control Vegas with. For short walks I use a collar because Vegas is a good walker. When we are at home he wears nothing.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I guess every dog is different. The harness was useless with Dudley. Tried for months with it...he would just sit down and not budge. He's great with the collar. He also is microchipped.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We use harness to walk and collar to carry her dog tag just in case she somehow got lose from a harness and of someone finds her there is a direct mobile number to us so rather than picking her up from vets or dog pound (both are microchipped) we can pick her up from whoever found her -her and Shy new updated dog tags (as we changed phone numbers) looks like that ( even tho i dont like to put name on the dog tag this time i did )
ramyqegu.jpg

Last edited:

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I use a harness when out but nothing at home. Zeus and Dexter are microchipped.

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
we use a wide collar on April when were out and about and none at home -she is microchiped - we had her avid # laser etched on her tag

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Same as above, I have both. When we go places I always use a harness, better to control Vegas with. For short walks I use a collar because Vegas is a good walker. When we are at home he wears nothing.

Same here.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have quite a thing about different and pretty collars ........ I'm always on etsy looking for new designs!!!! :eek:

So, they all wear their collars all the time. More as an accessory than anything else!!! Then for walks they get their harnesses put on. I leave the collars on with the harness too.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston doesn't wear a collar at home, if we go out I may put his collar on but we use the harness w/his leash only & put his ID's on a D ring that I attach to his harness...

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
We use harness to walk and collar to carry her dog tag just in case she somehow got lose from a harness and of someone finds her there is a direct mobile number to us so rather than picking her up from vets or dog pound (both are microchipped) we can pick her up from whoever found her -her and Shy new updated dog tags (as we changed phone numbers) looks like that ( even tho i dont like to put name on the dog tag this time i did )
ramyqegu.jpg

So pretty and girly :jumpdance: Mia needs one!

I usually keep a collar on her (not tight) and use harness for walking.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.