Why is my little man so lanky?

mvg1488

Aug 31, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Andy and Hugo
I have two English Bulldogs. I adopted my older boy when he was 7 (now almost 9) and purchased my younger boy through a breeder. I saw his parents and they were good looking dogs. He is AKC registered so I know he is purebred. My question is...why is he so tall? (Or is he not and just looks lanky next to the old man?) I have never owned an English Bulldog puppy before so I didn't know if they normally go through a stage like this, or if he is destined to be lanky. He is 10 months old now and eating Taste of the wild pacific stream. I had both of them on a raw diet until he was about 7 months old. I did a LOT of research and made sure I was giving him appropriate portions of each (bone, organ, meat) but still thought maybe that was why he was so leggy, hence the change to dry food. He is also 100% wrinkle free on his body with only a few wrinkles on his face. We love the guy none the less....just wondering if he looks like a normal 10 month old EB. Any thoughts are appreciated! Andy.Hugo.jpghugo.png579620_10201266648260910_252462040_n.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Your boy looks great. Bullies will grow up the first year and then grow out, or widen out the next few years. They will grow until about age 3, so he is looking good for a 10 month old.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
A lot of bullies don't have wrinkles except on their face, he looks particularly adorable in my opinion! He will broaden a lot over the next year, and he is as tall as he will be.

Even in the same litter one bully may be much taller with skinnier legs, while his smaller brother sibling ends up very short and thick boned. One with loads of wrinkles as a pup compared to a sibling may end up having less wrinkles as an adult than their sibling. It is actually quite amazing to see what each ends up looking like at age 3, when they finally stop growing and changing!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
You just got two of the most knowledgeable breeders here answer your question.

Your pup is great looking, good job! He will spend the next 2 years broadening and
filling out, body & head. It IS amazing at 3 y/o to see the difference in them.

Bless you for adopting a senior bully...and WELCOME to EBN, y'all love it! GOD bless!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgYou already got great information. I have two EB siblings, they are 18 months old now, and they each weigh 45 lbs. my male is leaner looking than his sister, Bulldozer has a longer leaner body and his face is less wrinkly than his sister Blossom. Blossom is stockier and has more of a barrel shaped body, and a much broader chest. They are from the same litter but are totally different looking and definitely have different personalities too. Here's some pictures of my two guys.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I wonder at about how old they are when they quit growing taller. Amelia is already two inches taller than HRH and only 3 pounds lighter. And she's only 6 months old!
They do come in all shapes and sizes though. HRH is a very small bully at 40 lbs. And very short yet solid. Amy is much leaner and longer and taller already. But she's got her filling out to do. I just hope she doesn't end up over 60 lbs. Because of her luxated hips, our vet wants us to try to keep her in the mid 50 lb range he said, but if she gets much taller then that would be much too thin.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
He looks fine and as others have stated he has much time to fill out. Nevertheless when you feed would he eat more if you gave it to him? I don't feed by the recommendations on kibble bags. If he will eat a bit more I would give it to him. And you didn't state how often you feed. I would feed him at least twice a day. Some people worry about them getting fat. Well if they start getting fat you can always cut back so that's not a problem from my perspective

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wonder at about how old they are when they quit growing taller. Amelia is already two inches taller than HRH and only 3 pounds lighter. And she's only 6 months old!
They do come in all shapes and sizes though. HRH is a very small bully at 40 lbs. And very short yet solid. Amy is much leaner and longer and taller already. But she's got her filling out to do. I just hope she doesn't end up over 60 lbs. Because of her luxated hips, our vet wants us to try to keep her in the mid 50 lb range he said, but if she gets much taller then that would be much too thin.

If my memory is correct, the legs stop or slow down at around 6 months so she's probably about as tall as she's going to get. Have Bruce measure her! :rofl: it would be cool to know when they stop growing up!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
He looks great at his age ;-) like with most pf dogs they grow up then starting to fill and widen ;-))

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Luca is the lankiest puppy I've ever seen. He's way taller and skinnier than his father and mother are. I had the same questions you have and everyone including the breeder said he will fill out. He turns 1 this week so let the bloating begin.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He looks great at his age ;-) like with most pf dogs they grow up then starting to fill and widen ;-))

^^^^ yep.... up till about 1 and then out after that

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.