Ramsay doesn't like other bulldogs...

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
So I've come to the conclusion that Ramsay doesn't really like other bulldogs!

The first time he met another bulldog was 2 weeks ago (so he was 4.5 months). They were both on leash and right as the one came close to Ramsay's face he snapped at it. Then a day later, we went to a meetup in Toronto where he was snapping at all of the other bulldog puppies his own age! He didn't really seem interested in the older ones. Eventually he started playing with one other pup at the very end of the meetup. I think he saw all of the other puppies playing together and he wanted to join in. He was honestly sitting like a loner in the corner most of the time! Taught him a lesson though that if you're mean the other puppies won't want to play with you. And then just two days ago we were at the vet and there was a 8 week old puppy that the technician brought in to meet Ramsay. Again, within two seconds snapped at it.

He isn't like this with other dogs. He's played with a bullmastiff to a golden retriever to a bull terrier to a yorkie with no issues... but bulldogs seem to be a problem.

I think he's just worried that they'll "out cute" him and he won't be the center of attention anymore ;)

But in all honesty, has anyone else ever dealt with this? All I want is for Ramsay to play with his own kind! Plus if I'm ever thinking of getting another bully in the future I would hope it wouldn't be a problem.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I personally have never had this problem. Loki prefers to play with the bigger dogs but if his bullie buddy Dude comes over and it is just the 2 of them they will play all day. Do you think that maybe he was protecting you?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea has been really good around other bullies that she has seen at the vets office except for the on that was there today when she was there to get her rabies shot. My wife said she got very stand offish and all the hair on her back was standing up when this one female was in the waiting room but that Harlea played with all the other bullys that wrre there. She must have smelled or sensed something she didn't like with the one female so I don't know.

- - - Updated - - -

Harlea has been really good around other bullies that she has seen at the vets office except for the on that was there today when she was there to get her rabies shot. My wife said she got very stand offish and all the hair on her back was standing up when this one female was in the waiting room but that Harlea played with all the other bullys that wrre there. She must have smelled or sensed something she didn't like with the one female so I don't know.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I have the opposite problem. Ruthie LOVES bulldogs and hates most other dogs. She's very selective about her "friends", she likes to be the dominant one.

yoder

Jul 14, 2013
Edinboro, Pa
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
Maybe you should let her look in the mirror at herself ! She probably doesn't realize she has a smashed in face also. :rofl:

OP
mbd963

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
Maybe you should let her look in the mirror at herself ! She probably doesn't realize she has a smashed in face also. :rofl:

As silly as this sounds I think it is true! My boyfriends parents have a Golden Retriever puppy who is about 3 months older than Ramsay and they have been playing together since Ramsay was 8 week old. I think that Ramsay thinks he is a Golden Retriever - time for a reality check!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston seems to LOVE other bullies... he's very friendly at his puppy class too!!! LOL

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon hasn't ever met another EB so I have no idea how he would react.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Guess I,M lucky also , never had these issues also
Good thing , my son,s girlfriend brings over her miniature nasty Mexican jumping little dog and it attacks all my dogs I have seen it hanging off Tillys jowls and she just shrugs it off, and no aggression from her or the others at all .
Maybe Ramsay just likes older dogs and is choosey about who he plays with

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley does not like other bullies. He's fine with any other dog...but not EBs. He either snaps and growls (and it's not a playful growl), or he completely ignores them. He just wants no part of them! He ADORES my boyfriend's golden retriever and the little **** zu across the street...but another bully...no way!

OP
mbd963

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
Dudley does not like other bullies. He's fine with any other dog...but not EBs. He either snaps and growls (and it's not a playful growl), or he completely ignores them. He just wants no part of them! He ADORES my boyfriend's golden retriever and the little **** zu across the street...but another bully...no way!

His behaviour sounds exactly like Ramsays... hmm... guess their cute smushy faces aren't for everyone, even themselves!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah has not been around another bully so dont know about that but she is very selective about who she allows around her. i keep her away from other dogs while out as she has taken a chunk out of another dogs nose so i worry bout having to put her down and such and her being labeled as mean. i just keep her away when out now. she seems ok with our bostons long as i keep her in her place and she knows im boss. i feel ya really :yes:

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka hates Goldens...really weird. He nips at random dogs but always Goldens. I think a lot of the problem is me. Either my vibe or he's protecting me because he goes to daycare every week and he has never had an issue there...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I used to work at a dog daycare for 4 years.... it is strange, but unknown as to why, but they are just hit/miss regardless of breed. One thing we noticed with Banks... if she can not see a dogs eyes, DONE! She HATES long hair breeds.... she LOVES Danes and Mastiffs

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.