Phlegm

meganhicks

Aug 28, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Well switched to Fromm and raw tonight! Hope it goes well only time will tell!
however tonight's issues sounds like phlegm?! I can hear it in his throat when he breathes and he is not settling well?! Is this normal? Or should I be worried any remedies? We did go to the lake today and he decided it would be a good idea to stick his face completely under water?! HELP! Freaking out a little bit!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well if he is not better in the morning, a trip to the vet will be in order. Don't want to play around with a breathing problem.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Yah if he starts coughing or his issues continues take him to the vets immediately . Fergus had kennel cough and aspirated on his phlegm (inhaled his phlegm) which got in his lungs which caused pneumonia. According to the doctor any liquid inhaled can cause pneumonia so if Dexter inhaled water or phlegm it could be very serious. Fergus ended up staying at the vet hospital for 2 days and is on several medication to clear his lungs. So don't delay a vet visit if he continues to have breathing issues.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You have been given great advice above me. Have you tried a squirt of lemon juice to see if it clears up? As others have said a vet visit may be in order if it isn't cleared up by morning.

OP
meganhicks

meganhicks

Aug 28, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Haven't tried lemon juice just let him eat some and it will cause it to come up?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Not so much eat. You want the juice that comes in the little lemon shaped squeeze bottle. If he is just a little phelgmy give him a squirt and it will break it up. If it doesn't break it up then something more serious is going on.

OP
meganhicks

meganhicks

Aug 28, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Uh oh it didn't work! :( I didn't give him a lot I only have real lemons and I couldn't get him to take a lot of it! Lol Hahn now I'm worried

BulldogMoma

Apr 15, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Morgan (born 5-28-2013) Clyde (2004-2012)
I would definitely take him to the vet in the am if it continues... he may have aspirated a little water into his lungs when he put his head underwater which could result in aspirate pneumonia. If this is the case, he must have medical treatment, and the sooner the better. Feel better Dexter. Regarding his food, are you gradually transitioning him to Fromms? We feed our Morgan (13 weeks old) Fromms Puppy Gold (in the pink bag) but took a couple of weeks to make the change. He loves it and is doing very well on it.

OP
meganhicks

meganhicks

Aug 28, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Do I just squirt in his mouth or make him drink it??

OP
meganhicks

meganhicks

Aug 28, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Yes still on raw and added a bit of kibble tonight not even 1/4 of a cup!! But no runs so that's good!!
Uh oh calling vet in am!! Already on day 2! :(

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Do I just squirt in his mouth or make him drink it??

To break it up quickly you give a squirt. You cod put it I the water dish as well but it sounds like you tried it and it didn't work so I would loom to go to the vet in the morning.

OP
meganhicks

meganhicks

Aug 28, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
I would definitely take him to the vet in the am if it continues... he may have aspirated a little water into his lungs when he put his head underwater which could result in aspirate pneumonia. If this is the case, he must have medical treatment, and the sooner the better. Feel better Dexter. Regarding his food, are you gradually transitioning him to Fromms? We feed our Morgan (13 weeks old) Fromms Puppy Gold (in the pink bag) but took a couple of weeks to make the change. He loves it and is doing very well on it.

How do they diagnose aspiration?

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
How do they diagnose aspiration?

The vet will listen for water in his lungs and then take a chest xray. Depending on how serious it is he will either keep him overnight for treatment or will send you home with medication.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.