How to get a bully ready for a skin sibling?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have been looking into this and I was wondering for any of you that have brought home a new baby and had to break in your bully how did you do it? I have read that some people will bring home a baby blanket from right after birth and let their pets smell it before the new baby comes home. That sounds like an interesting idea but how else can I get ready?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I got no experience with bulldogs and newborns but we had boxer girl adopted at the age of 6 who apparently didn't get on with kids -when we adopted her i didn't know i was pregnant -so i was a bit worried from what dog shelter told us -but i was determinate to make it work.when we brought our newborn we let her sniff my girl and from that time Suzi was my little baby dog -whenever my baby was Suzi was with her at all times
I think dogs are like kids -the most important thing is not to make them feel left out and like with any dog they cant be left unsupervised ,and as your child grows teach him/her proper respect of animals -sadly that is what most parents that i know don't do and they think it is cute when baby jumps on dogs belly or pulls his tail,ears and like with any living creature their patience can run out
Congratulations on birth of your child ;-)

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I don't have first hand experience here either. I do know that when my nephew was born and my sister came to stay with us for the week we were a little worried that Loki would get jealous of Max. I agree with [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] making sure that your bullies are involved and watched with the baby that things will be just fine. I know Loki now loves Max (more then me at times) Good luck!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
well no newborn here and a bullie , but have always had dogs and a couple of newborns .
no contact , sorry dogs eat and lick stuff you do not want near a newborn and a dog will lick a newborn if you are not there to supervise , never leave the dog any dog or cat for that matter alone with a newborn , the dog has no understanding of a newborn the sounds the movements smells ect ect
We always did the blanket thing with all our pets worked well for the animals to get used to the scent of the kids also anytime the dogs were near the kids we always repeated in a level voice not harsh " that's a gentle " I still say that too my Bullies when around cats and new dogs to them and you can see them relax and know that its not to be herded lol .
your dog will be curious that's cool and of course not understand why Mom is all of a sudden very very busy you have to keep them in touch with the new addition to the PACK as dogs are very much a Pack or group of family animal
Bullies are very easy going and gentle but they can be clods and get very excited and there BIG so never leave them unsupervised with a new born or even a toddler Bullies will knock em flying lol
sorry to sound so intense but better safe then sorry in my view , do the blanket thing worked for us very well

AND CONGRATS ON THE BABY so cool !!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
First of all -- congratulations! No babies here, but friends did the blanket thing...they also used to hold the baby when they had to correct their dog -- they swore by it. Their dog is devoted to their kids...so I'm guessing it worked!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I am going to try the blanket thing that is for sure! Also my concern is they are so hyper and active, they jump on my couches and im scared they will go into their rough play time and step on the baby so hopefully they will know its a baby. I will not leave the baby at all without me! I have an Autistic daughter that will not be able to be left alone with the baby for even a second! Now that I think about it my house is going to be very busy! LOL

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I am going to try the blanket thing that is for sure! Also my concern is they are so hyper and active, they jump on my couches and im scared they will go into their rough play time and step on the baby so hopefully they will know its a baby. I will not leave the baby at all without me! I have an Autistic daughter that will not be able to be left alone with the baby for even a second! Now that I think about it my house is going to be very busy! LOL

I am thinking the same thing! My 2 have never been with an infant before so I am trying to work with them now! Its very hard b/c I am exhausted and huge and its hard to take them both at the same time for walks now! I was told to definatley take the blankets home and put them in the crates for the pups to smell! They need to know that the baby is part of the pack! Thats all I have for now lol I have been reading and watching youtube videos on introductions and such

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.