Food Question: new to breed and site

meganhicks

Aug 28, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Hi all
im Megan and i recently just adopted a 4 month old English Bulldog! i have had pugs in the past and recently lost my beloved Pumpernickle to complications due to diabetes and losing his eyes from glaucoma! we finally decided we were ready to get another brother for our female pug Munchkin...and we came across Dexter (english bulldog) that was living unloved and in a kennell! needless to say we adopted him!
he is currently on Raw food, but am interested in switching to kibble so am curious what recommendations you have for feeding (i live in Ontario canada) also they give him a tums after food..curious why and if this is something i should continue?
Thanks for any and all your help in advice! I'm eager to learn and give this little guy a great life!!
:)
Megan, Dexter and Munchkin

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Welcome to the site- I currently feed both mine raw- alot of kibble feeders here have great success with fromms.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed ours FROMM Star food, the Pork and Peas. You can put him on that as it is an all stage food. The Tums after a meal, not sure why they do that, maybe stop it and see how he does. Bless you for giving him a fur-ever home.

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Recommending food for bulldogs is a tough one because they have such delicate stomachs at that age and every bully has different allergies and tolerances. If he's doing okay on what he is eating now then you may want to stick with it. We went through the following recommended foods:

Purina one. The breeder had him on this but I'm a firm believer that any dog food you can get in the grocery store is crap.

Blue buffalo. Quality food but gave my dog the trots.

Royal canin bulldog formula. over priced and contained chicken which a lot of bullies can't tolerate not to mention some other low quality ingredients.

Natural balance limited ingredient. Quality food and good for bullies with allergies but my boy didn't like it. Probably too bland for his taste.

Taste of the wild. We settled on this and he has been doing well on it for the last 6 months. High quality ingredients although very rich. Grain free which is a plus. Reasonably priced but not available in chain pet stores like Petco and petsmart type places.

Neve tried but hear good things about;

Fromm, merrick, wellness, arcana.....

It's a lot of trial and error with bulldogs. Good luck to you.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Welcome.Dexter is a lucky boy! I started Dudley on Nutro Lamb and Rice, but since I've been on EBN, I've switched him to Fromm's Pork and Paas -- he gets a little Fromm's Salmon and Chicken mixed in. Lots of bullies have issues with chicken, though, although Dudley doesn't seem to have a problem. I've also started giving him Salmon Oil -- just this week, actually -- and boy does he love that! I think it's too soon to see any results, but he loves it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN... thank you for adopting Dexter and giving him a loving home!!

We feed Fromm Pork and Peas.... been down the road over the 9 yrs with many foods including raw, this has been the best results for our girl

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.