I swear I am a way to concerned bully mom!

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
I am not sure if this is the right spot to post this - but I had a question regarding bowls. I have a plastic bowl for Brynn that she eats her meals out of, but a metal - stainless steal - larger bowl for her water. The reason I am asking is because her previous owners had the same type of metal bowl as well as friends of mine with bulldogs use these as well, but my vet has always suggested against using the metal bowls due to them causing irritation to the lower jaw/lip/muzzle area. We never used metal bowls with my lab and never had problems with the plastic ones. But, I bought the metal bowl for Brynn as everyone seemed to say she would be fine. Well, over the past few days her lower jaw/muzzle area has been red. She has white fur here so it's easy to see that is it all pink/red - today I noticed a sore. Not big, but irritated. It is still all pink and now I am wondering is this a cause of my bowls as like I said I have heard to stay away from metal bowls or is this a cause of her bad food she is currently eating?? I did give her banana slices last night, however this redness was there before I introduced a few banana slices to her last night.

I am probably over looking the whole situation as I have read food affects it, but I am just wanting clarification on the bowls as well to make sure we don't make that worse as well.

:/ hopefully this is all figured out soon!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Stainless steel are best.... be sure to wipe her chin after she drinks. Also, keep in mind she is still transitioning to a new home and you are working her food.... easy - you are doing good. get rid of the plastic, stainless or ceramic is what I have always had good results with

Zoebug

Aug 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moola , Gracie , Gabby and Lula Belle
Plastic and stainless bowls can cause chin acne in bulldogs. The safest is to just use ceramic and or glass. Also make sure to wipe chin after eating/drinking with a dry towel NOT a baby wipe as many people do. Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Metal or glass is the way to go! Loki used to get really bad puppy acne 1 from being a puppy but 2 because of his plastic bowls. He has a metal one for his water and a glass for his food we wash them both every time they need a refill. Oh and it is overly concerned it is just making sure that she is happy in her new home :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We use stainless steel for both food and water. Her food bowl is a slow feed bowl as well.

jodimiller

Aug 9, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
I use stainless steal for Boomer! And no not to way concerned...think we are all like that with our babies...I google and come to this page and read hours at a time daily! I know for me I just want the very best for him so he can have a long long long healthy and happy life!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You're not over concerned, just want the best for your baby, like we all do. We also use stainless steel bowls for their food, and haven't had any problems. We use a water cooler type bowl that has a filter in it for their drinking water.

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
Sounds to me like I will just pick up either a glass or stainless steal bowl for food and ditch the plastic then :) thanks again guys! I think I am getting the hang of all of this!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.