Eyelid surgery

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Bay Area, Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
Just back from the vet for Ozzy's exam and the vet said that he should have surgery on his left eye because the eyelid had rolled inward. Although he has no problems now, she said he could develop eye infections etc.
My question is: is it worth the surgical risk to have this done in anyones opinion? She said its quite common in bullies because of the wrinkles.
Overall he's healthy and tested negative for heart-worms. He got a new collar and a trip to the upscale dog boutique for some treats because he didn't rip off anyone's face with all the needles and poking around in his mouth and nether regions. I found out today what a big baby he really is.
u4u5a7us.jpg

AJ

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Just back from the vet for Ozzy's exam and the vet said that he should have surgery on his left eye because the eyelid had rolled inward. Although he has no problems now, she said he could develop eye infections etc.
My question is: is it worth the surgical risk to have this done in anyones opinion? She said its quite common in bullies because of the wrinkles.
Overall he's healthy and tested negative for heart-worms. He got a new collar and a trip to the upscale dog boutique for some treats because he didn't rip off anyone's face with all the needles and poking around in his mouth and nether regions. I found out today what a big baby he really is.
u4u5a7us.jpg

AJ

Bo had this surgery done after a long bout of corneal ulcers that would never fully heal. Once we had the surgery done, no more ulcers and we only deal with dry eye now that is treated by a good daily eye rinse and ointment. I've been very happy with the results. Since they were putting him under for the eye procedure, our vet suggested going ahead and cleaning his teeth at the same time, which we did.
Also, I would add that we wish we would have done it sooner but were thinking the same way as you... Lets not if we don't have to. But in the end, earlier would have been better bc Bo's eye is permanently cloudy bc of the scarring from the ulcers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
Well hopefully if I do this he won't need eye rinses because he doesn't like being fussed over. He's belligerent lol

AJ

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Well hopefully if I do this he won't need eye rinses because he doesn't like being fussed over. He's belligerent lol

AJ

I hope so too! One can't tell that Bo had the surgery and the healing time was minimal. He did great. I'm not sure if the dry eye came from the surgery or not. It may have been an issue before that went unnoticed. The vet discusses over correction of the issue at hand which would cause additional problems and explained that she would take as little as she could and if it wasn't enough would go back and take more later without charge. Luckily, her decision on how much to take was spot on and we've had no more problems. Apparently this is a common surgery in the bulldog breed, you just want to make sure you have a vet familiar with the breed and the surgery. We are fortunate to have a 'bulldog' vet here locally.

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
The vet clinic I went to today are very familiar with Bullies they say. They really seemed to do well with him. They weren't the most personable people but they seemed to know what they were talking about. Maybe if I knew them better I'd feel more comfortable doing it.

AJ

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
The vet clinic I went to today are very familiar with Bullies they say. They really seemed to do well with him. They weren't the most personable people but they seemed to know what they were talking about. Maybe if I knew them better I'd feel more comfortable doing it.

AJ

Best of luck! Keep me posted :)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley and I are sending good thoughts to Ozzy! We hope everything works out well! :heartsign:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.