From tragedy, comes a little bit of happiness

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mugsy, Baby (RIP), & Romeo
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I have posted here. Thought I'd share a story for you all.

My wife's father was a long time bully lover and owned many bulldogs in his day. Most recently, Baby, a 6 year old English bulldog. Before my wife and I moved in together and got married, she lived there and Baby was the family pet. I had bought Mugsy for her as a Valentine's Day gift and had surprised her with him as a puppy. Mugsy and Baby LOVED each other. They were inseparable from the very beginning and continued so even after my wife and i moved in together and she moved with Mugsy. About once a week or so, she would visit her dad and Baby for play dates and they'd have a grand old time as if they were never separated.

Two weeks ago, my wife's father was murdered in his home by his bestfriend/roommate. (Details are not necessary)

For 2 days, we were in and out of the police station being interviewed and gaining details as to what happened. Turns out, once the police were called to the scene, they took Baby to the local humane society under special hold until we picked her up. When we arrived at the humane society to pick her up, she was a MESS. It looked as if this poor dog had been through hell and back. She would just stare off into space, cry uncontrollably, and wouldn't want to be left alone. Humane Society employees told us she was unruly and didn't like to be restrained, which is completely out of her character.

When we brought her to our home, her new home, Mugsy came up and started sniffing her and getting excited. She wanted nothing to do to with him after (i'm assuming) all she had witnessed. Needless to say, she snapped at him a couple of times.

As the day went on, we saw a change in Mugsy's behavior. He would go up to her as if trying to comfort her. Where she'd lay down, he'd lay down pressed up against her. When she'd get up and walk around the house, he'd sit up and watch her. At bed time, we set up her new bed next to Mugsy's bed. She'd cry a little, but he'd go up and lick her face and she'd go right to sleep.

Here's the happy part of my story. Every morning we wake upa nd look next to our bed to see how they are doing, this is what we see. Too precious to not share with you all.

spooning.jpg

She is adapting well to her new life, playing and enjoying Mugsy's company.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Wow, so sorry to hear about your dad. How awful. Glad that Mugsy is taking excellent care of Baby!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What a sad and sweet story, thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Such a difficult story -- my deepest condolences to you and your wife -- but what an incredibly sweet story about Mugsy and Baby...made me cry. Thoughts and prayers to you all.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Wow, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a blessing that Baby has sweet Mugsy to help her through. So sweet and touching.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
First of all condolences to you & your family... I'm glad that Mugsy is taking good care of Baby.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I am so sorry for the loss of your father in law, and this is such a sad story and I am just so happy that Baby had a loving family to go to and Mugsy to help with her healing.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
My condolences for your loss. It is good the hear that Mugsy is taking good care of baby.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Thank you for sharing your story with us. My deepest condolences to your family. So happy Baby has Mugsy to help her get over her trauma.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you very much for sharing a deeply personal & painful family tragedy.

My sincere condolences on you & your wife's loss of your loved one and in
such a horrible way. I had a best friend murdered by his wife, newly married.
I can't imagine losing a parent to senseless violence.

Your story is a blessing to all with the great fortune to hear it...many lessons
to be learned here. Baby's suffering touches my heart, Mugsy's caring for her
touches me even deeper. Their pic is so beautiful & a gift to see it.

GOD bless you & yours and thank you again, for sharing with us.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry for your loss, and yet happy you have Baby, she is truly missing her previous owner and thank goodness you have Mugsy who is giving her comfort and helping her feel at home.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
My deepest condolences to you & your wife during this difficult time. Very heart warming to hear Mugsy is helping Baby to heal and become settled in her furever home.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow. I'm so sorry for the tragedy in your family. It's heartbreaking what humans are capable of. It's so special that sweet Baby had a loving home to turn to. And beyond everything, she has Mugsy. Thank you for loving her..I wish all of you Peace.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.