Water in Ears Bad - But Ocean okay?

B

Baxter Tiberius

Can someone clear up for me why we have to be so careful not getting water drops into our dogs ears during baths (they say to put cotton balls in the ears first to be safe), but they can run and dive into the ocean or a pool and be completely submerged no problem?

Thanks

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you, Kevin, for asking this question as I too want to know the answer.

Anyone, anyone?
:anyone: :please:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No, if my bullies do happen to get in the ocean-- haha we live in Arizona-- kidding-- okay the pool I make sure to do a ear cleaning after wards with either a 25/75 AC vinegar cleaner or ear cleaner. Dogs ear canals are upside down L/J shaped so there is no way to get all of the moisture out, so you need something with a drying agent in it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i used cotton balls in Lolas ears when she went swimming (life jacket and all) in the lake this year

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
My best scientific guess as to why sea water isn't as bad would be the salt can act as an astringent to draw out infection and clean the ears as apposed to fresh water that probably contains harmful bacteria.... Oh who am I kidding? I'm talking out my butt here. Honestly I think any water in their ears left unchecked would be an issue.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
All my guys end up shaking out the cotton balls when I give them a bath. I just make sure to clean and dry their ears really good. Same goes with the lake when they're in the water. I just dry their ears out well. I've never had any issues.

Zoebug

Aug 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moola , Gracie , Gabby and Lula Belle
Some dogs are more sensitive to water in the ears but there is nothing anywhere that says bulldogs are designed differently and can't get water in there ears. I have owned bulldogs for 10 years and I am a professional groomer and I do NOTHING special when I bath my dogs or when they go swimming. ;-)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I think as long as you keep their ears clean and dry them after they get wet, you should not have any problems.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Thanks everybody. I guess I was afraid to wash his face in the bathtub, or let the water pour over his head. Aside from the fact that it gets in his nose and that bothers him, I hear so many stories of their eyes being in pain from the soap, their ears getting water in them, etc ...it's made me neurotic.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks everybody. I guess I was afraid to wash his face in the bathtub, or let the water pour over his head. Aside from the fact that it gets in his nose and that bothers him, I hear so many stories of their eyes being in pain from the soap, their ears getting water in them, etc ...it's made me neurotic.
The face, Wilson HATES his face washed but it gets shampooed and rinsed off. I use baby shampoo for all their faces though. It probably takes me 3 full rinses for Wilson. I do bed their heads down. You could use a microfiber towel too with some soap on it and use that to rinse it off too. I used to do that for Wilson, now he gets the full treatment, mush to his horror. He can't get out of that bathtub fast enough.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All my guys end up shaking out the cotton balls when I give them a bath. I just make sure to clean and dry their ears really good. Same goes with the lake when they're in the water. I just dry their ears out well. I've never had any issues.

Yep -- do the same... cotton balls go flying so I just make sure to dry /clean them after bath, pool or sprinkler play

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.