Considering Adopting in Canada?

Drydenite

Aug 25, 2013
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
diesal
HI
I am new to this forum , I am a bit lost but I really just need a little information, I am trying to help my mother who is considering adopting a 5 year old english bull DOg in newfoundland canada there are not many there and this one appaerntly needs a new home. My mother has owner dogs all of her life and is an excellent dog onwer.... However this is a totally new breed to her the last one was a Gorden setter and I own a siberian husky.... My mother lost her gorden setter about a year agoa nd is ready for a new compainion. she is a little concerned that we have read an english bull dog likely lives only 10 years old.... is this your experince? also she is wondering what specail isses such as health probelms they are pron to having..... and do you think a 5 year old would have a very hard time with a new home after so long?? as we read they are very loyal.... much of what we have read makes the dog sound great fit but she does not want to go in blind sort of speak. she lives near the ocen and walks on the beach a lot we read they do not swim... which is ok but can they walk on rocky beaches ok with their shorter bulid? also my mother has a cat who is in and out of the house..... my mother took her other dog out with her a lot for rides in the car ( not left in the car for long periods) just when she was going to go to drive through for coffee or such would this work do you think? and would he be able to jump up in to the car if he is healthy or would his build need him to be helped in???? I am so sorry if these questions sound stupid but we want to make sure he would have the perfect home for him if he comes to live with her. also he is listed as 500.00 he is a ckc registered dog and the price is not a huge concern my mother just wondered if that seemed reasonable to you all..... My mother is not real computer savy so that is how i came her to help thank you so much for the time and help in answering such basic questions.... I am sure you all would want this dog to be in the right type of home also,

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Here is my experience, hope it's of help...my son dated a girl for 3 years and
she had an English Bulldog, Bruzer, a huge male, 75 lb'er, very scary looking,
his head was the size of a basketball and his chest was wider than mine...he
looked like a short ape! The sounds he made were even scarier so when I was
first asked to dog sit~I was petrified...and I've had dogs all my life~of all breeds
EXCEPT a bulldog. The first couple of times, it went okay but I was a 'lil anxious.

As he came over to my house much more after they became a couple, I got to
know Bruzer and fell in love with him. When I kept him for a week here and there,
I begin to dream of owning one but was put off by the same things you've stated
in your post. I started researching and learning all I could, I became fascinated with
the breed. The more I was around Bruzer the deeper my devotion became, I under
stood WHY they inspired such breed loyalty in their owners, in spite of the many health
issues.

One day I got a call from my sister asking if I'd be interested in a 4 y/o bully whose owner
had no time for him...I said YES...sight unseen, I drove 5 hours and picked him up...he got
in my truck as if he had always done it and we headed home. Brutus was just the best bully
and we fell into deepest adoration. When I lost him, my heart was broken but in 2 months,
I got a call about a 5 y/o retired breeder, Cami and I said YES...and she is very happily, one
of the family now. I have a 14 y/o cat that both bullies immediately took to & loved on.

Now, your questions...many bullies live 10-12 years and some even 14 years, a good food is
very important to keep them healthy, most of us feed a top rated kibble that is grain free so
your Mom needs to be able to buy a pricey food monthly, perhaps supplement w/probiotics
and/or joint supplements too. Important to keep their weight at a healthy & fit weight.

Many bullies LOVE the water & many LOVE walks (my Cami hates both, lol) your Mom needs
to get a doggie life preserver as most bullies can't swim, they sink.

Most bullies LOVE car rides, I usually help mine in & out (especially out as you don't want to
damage their joints or any sprains or ligament tears, I'm 58 and weakened by arthritis type
conditions and both my bullies were big 65lb'ers but it isn't too difficult helping load them.
And some can do it themselves depending on their weight, longer legs & fitness levels.

The love & loyalty, their funny & laughable ways, want to guard their owners & home, fit
right in w/all, so much and more will have you & Mom head over heels!

The amount, $500, is about right, I'd inquire about the bully's health and get Vet records
if possible, arrange a meeting and get a feel for each other, maybe 2 or 3 meetings even.

You will know if it's right or not, your Mom sounds like a great dog owner. I too, had never
had a bully and my only regret is WHY I didn't have a bully way back when! Now that I've
owned 2 bullies, I personally think, I'll always have one. You can't explain WHY you love
them so much more than your other breeds but I assure you...you just will.

GOD bless you & Mom, keep us informed and best of luck to you! EBN is a wonderful, caring
group that is very experienced, knowledgeable & love to help everyone...you're in great hands!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
HI
I am new to this forum , I am a bit lost but I really just need a little information, I am trying to help my mother who is considering adopting a 5 year old english bull DOg in newfoundland canada there are not many there and this one appaerntly needs a new home. My mother has owner dogs all of her life and is an excellent dog onwer.... However this is a totally new breed to her the last one was a Gorden setter and I own a siberian husky.... My mother lost her gorden setter about a year agoa nd is ready for a new compainion. she is a little concerned that we have read an english bull dog likely lives only 10 years old.... is this your experince? also she is wondering what specail isses such as health probelms they are pron to having..... and do you think a 5 year old would have a very hard time with a new home after so long?? as we read they are very loyal.... much of what we have read makes the dog sound great fit but she does not want to go in blind sort of speak. she lives near the ocen and walks on the beach a lot we read they do not swim... which is ok but can they walk on rocky beaches ok with their shorter bulid? also my mother has a cat who is in and out of the house..... my mother took her other dog out with her a lot for rides in the car ( not left in the car for long periods) just when she was going to go to drive through for coffee or such would this work do you think? and would he be able to jump up in to the car if he is healthy or would his build need him to be helped in???? I am so sorry if these questions sound stupid but we want to make sure he would have the perfect home for him if he comes to live with her. also he is listed as 500.00 he is a ckc registered dog and the price is not a huge concern my mother just wondered if that seemed reasonable to you all..... My mother is not real computer savy so that is how i came her to help thank you so much for the time and help in answering such basic questions.... I am sure you all would want this dog to be in the right type of home also,
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] already did a great job answering your questions. I just want to add that I adopted a 9 year old this past January and she walked into the house her first day like she owned the place! She had no trouble at all living in a new home. And even my Frenchie who is our "problem fur child" felt comfortable in our home pretty much right away and she was 4 when we adopted her. As for the walking, my 3 year old loves walks, if the weather is comfortable and not hot then he can walk a couple of miles (I slowly worked him up to that, I didn't just one day bring him on a 2 mile hike lol) and since he has longer legs he can jump in and out of the car. My recent adopted senior on the other hand is fine with a walk down the driveway and back, and that's it. She also needs me to lift her in and out if the car. She is much shorter and heavier than my male. Each bully is different so your mom would get a feel for what he could or couldn't do very quickly if she did end up adopting him.

I would say your mom should go for it. She seems to be ready for a bully by asking all of these questions! And she will always have this website as a support system for her. Good luck with everything and please keep us updated! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.