FOSTERING and husband not cooperating

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Good morning everyone, So I posted awhile back they I put in an application to foster EB's via Long Island Bulldog Rescue, well I received my first call to foster a two year old male and my husband said, do what you want but you know how I feel about it. How the heck am I supposed to move forward with that kind of comment. I'm really bummed about it because I so want to help a dog in need. My husband is afraid it will change Otis in some way, shape or form for the worse, now Otis is the sweetest, smartest, best listener on and on and on....feeling really discouraged. I am 45 years old darn it, why cant I do what I want. Now I resent him and if I moved forward with it, he would resent me - it's a no win situation right now. Any advice? Does anyone think it could have an adverse effect on Otis?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhhh man...this is a tough one. Since I have no fostering experience, I will tag a couple people who have. I'm sorry something so generous of you has caused such a problem. :(
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION].. [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION]

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Ohhhh man...this is a tough one. Since I have no fostering experience, I will tag a couple people who have. I'm sorry something so generous of you has caused such a problem. :(
@kazzy220.. @Bella'sMom
Thank you - I feel like I've let down LIBR - I know I can contribute in many other ways but I thought giving a dog some time, love, and compassion would be better suited for me.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thank you - I feel like I've let down LIBR - I know I can contribute in many other ways but I thought giving a dog some time, love, and compassion would be better suited for me.

I don't think you will let down anyone! And actually, maybe there are other ways you can help. You know..baby steps towards your goal. ;)

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I am fostering. It has changed Momo's behavior but not necessarily for the bad. She is a bit more playful now, although she can be a bit territorial when I'm on the computer. Its the best thing I could ever do, but it is a lot of work.
I can appreciate you coming on here for advise, as one of you will resent the other if this doesn't get straightened out. You both need your needs to be met. Perhaps you could try just fostering 1 dog. Or maybe talking to you husband and getting more details from his as to what his specific concerns are and then addressing that with the rescue so they can help?
Good Luck!

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I am fostering. It has changed Momo's behavior but not necessarily for the bad. She is a bit more playful now, although she can be a bit territorial when I'm on the computer. Its the best thing I could ever do, but it is a lot of work.
I can appreciate you coming on here for advise, as one of you will resent the other if this doesn't get straightened out. You both need your needs to be met. Perhaps you could try just fostering 1 dog. Or maybe talking to you husband and getting more details from his as to what his specific concerns are and then addressing that with the rescue so they can help?
Good Luck!
Thank you for the advice. I did ask him to let's just "try it" and if it doesn't work out I will contribute to the rescue in other ways. He say's do what you want but that's not a good start when we are both not on the same page. Personally, I think given the right situation Otis would love a foster sibling. Carl just feels that - what if Otis gets attached and then the dog goes into a forever home, what if Otis goes from the great demeanor that he has to being jealous of another dog and sharing attention - they are all "what if's" until we at-least try. It's something I feel very strongly about - if I was single, I'd have a houseful.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I don't want to come off sounding arrogant or Freudish, and I myself fall victim to this, too. We tend to project feelings onto our dogs that don't belong there.
The concern that a dog will get attached to another dog and then have problems letting go, or the dog will have issues with sharing, etc...The way I look at it is two fold:
Dogs (and cats) will adjust, period. Its the humans that have a harder time dealing with things than the dogs do.
I'm a firm believer in as long as you are strong and confident in your abilities, anything can be overcome with the dog behavior. It's the human factor that is the issue, not the dog factor.
There's my two cents

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My husband didn't want me to feed raw to my five , I did it eventually, found out in several months it wasn't exactly for me since I have 5 dogs that eat in the house and went back to kibble. Lesson learned, I'm glad I did it and wouldn't change a thing. I think in many ways, LOL I'm smarter than my husband , It's my life and I wouldn't want to hold him back from something he wanted to do. Just saying

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Funny you should post this today, Lynn, when over this last week, I thought over
many aspects of my relationship with Stuart~he's been dead a year, last week.

I'm very headstrong and it was rare I did not do whatever it was I decided to do.
Asked for and listened to advice but always made my own decisions. Stuart was much
more mellow than I and...he wanted me happy so he rarely went against me BUT if he
felt strongly one way or another he had no problem standing (and holding) his ground!
Like you, I have a heart for needy animals and rescued all my life. To the point, at one time
I had 3, 100 lb dogs then Mom can and added an indoor, not house trained Pug...we also
had 4 indoor, longhaired housecats (all rescues)...Hubby WAS NOT happy. Whose to say
WHO is right? I see both sides of this argument and I feel for both of you, I really do. Try
to find a middle ground (I always HATED middle ground) and make it a Win Win. Maybe do
other types of helping the rescue (you are not letting anyone down) than fostering right now.

I realize I am advising, from my viewpoint of losing Stuart, but many of the things we argued
about were not worth it. Losing the peace between you and/or losing the peace in your home,
it's just not worth it, IMHO. I thought it was but now, I think differently. Give him more time to
think it over and show him how much HE means to you by not fostering right now...trust me, he
WILL see your sacrifice on his behalf and he will think about the issue, some more.

Stuart & I had many fights that continued after I got so many animals, more so because I'd gotten
so ill and he resented my strength going to them instead of me. Of course, it was a situational thing,
not planned. Two dogs came together (brothers), they were perfectly healthy, beautiful 2 y/o
Catahoulas whose owner was going to put them down because she didn't want them anymore.
Two cats from rescue came too, on the gas list and I'd just rescued one before that. I did, eventually
find homes for all but my Golden and my CoCo, a stray that I still have, she's 14 now. But it was a long,
hard road and I now think I was very selfish, asking Stuart to pay so much for their upkeep and put up
with so much...we live in Texas, it's long, hot Summers so everyone was indoors for Summers for those
2 years.

Lynn, you know I will keep you & Hubby in prayer, give Otis sloppy kisses from me & Cami. What you did
for me that awful Christmas, 4 months after Stuart died, will NEVER be forgotten if I live forever! I know
the deep width of your compassionate, caring & kind heart and so I know you struggle with this. I am
with you in spirit, dear friend, there will always (sadly) be animals in need of loving homes. Give this over
to GOD and trust HIS timing, there is a way for both of you to be happy and PEACE between you and in
your home...there is! Sending you much love & GOD's blessings!!
:havemyheart:

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I don't want to come off sounding arrogant or Freudish, and I myself fall victim to this, too. We tend to project feelings onto our dogs that don't belong there.
The concern that a dog will get attached to another dog and then have problems letting go, or the dog will have issues with sharing, etc...The way I look at it is two fold:
Dogs (and cats) will adjust, period. Its the humans that have a harder time dealing with things than the dogs do.
I'm a firm believer in as long as you are strong and confident in your abilities, anything can be overcome with the dog behavior. It's the human factor that is the issue, not the dog factor.
There's my two cents
I LIKE your two cents...thank you

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
My husband didn't want me to feed raw to my five , I did it eventually, found out in several months it wasn't exactly for me since I have 5 dogs that eat in the house and went back to kibble. Lesson learned, I'm glad I did it and wouldn't change a thing. I think in many ways, LOL I'm smarter than my husband , It's my life and I wouldn't want to hold him back from something he wanted to do. Just saying
I fully agree! Geez, now I re-sent him for not letting me do something that could be my passion or LEAD me to my passion or calling - when you are young you think, when I'm older I can and WILL do whatever I want but NO not me - they call this COMPROMISE, well that has never been one of my strong suits. I think this whole story is TO BE CONTINUED as I may just take him up on his "do what you want to do, but you know how I feel"

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Funny you should post this today, Lynn, when over this last week, I thought over
many aspects of my relationship with Stuart~he's been dead a year, last week.

I'm very headstrong and it was rare I did not do whatever it was I decided to do.
Asked for and listened to advice but always made my own decisions. Stuart was much
more mellow than I and...he wanted me happy so he rarely went against me BUT if he
felt strongly one way or another he had no problem standing (and holding) his ground!
Like you, I have a heart for needy animals and rescued all my life. To the point, at one time
I had 3, 100 lb dogs then Mom can and added an indoor, not house trained Pug...we also
had 4 indoor, longhaired housecats (all rescues)...Hubby WAS NOT happy. Whose to say
WHO is right? I see both sides of this argument and I feel for both of you, I really do. Try
to find a middle ground (I always HATED middle ground) and make it a Win Win. Maybe do
other types of helping the rescue (you are not letting anyone down) than fostering right now.

I realize I am advising, from my viewpoint of losing Stuart, but many of the things we argued
about were not worth it. Losing the peace between you and/or losing the peace in your home,
it's just not worth it, IMHO. I thought it was but now, I think differently. Give him more time to
think it over and show him how much HE means to you by not fostering right now...trust me, he
WILL see your sacrifice on his behalf and he will think about the issue, some more.

Stuart & I had many fights that continued after I got so many animals, more so because I'd gotten
so ill and he resented my strength going to them instead of me. Of course, it was a situational thing,
not planned. Two dogs came together (brothers), they were perfectly healthy, beautiful 2 y/o
Catahoulas whose owner was going to put them down because she didn't want them anymore.
Two cats from rescue came too, on the gas list and I'd just rescued one before that. I did, eventually
find homes for all but my Golden and my CoCo, a stray that I still have, she's 14 now. But it was a long,
hard road and I now think I was very selfish, asking Stuart to pay so much for their upkeep and put up
with so much...we live in Texas, it's long, hot Summers so everyone was indoors for Summers for those
2 years.

Lynn, you know I will keep you & Hubby in prayer, give Otis sloppy kisses from me & Cami. What you did
for me that awful Christmas, 4 months after Stuart died, will NEVER be forgotten if I live forever! I know
the deep width of your compassionate, caring & kind heart and so I know you struggle with this. I am
with you in spirit, dear friend, there will always (sadly) be animals in need of loving homes. Give this over
to GOD and trust HIS timing, there is a way for both of you to be happy and PEACE between you and in
your home...there is! Sending you much love & GOD's blessings!!
:havemyheart:
Carol, If anyone hasn't told you lately, let me be the first to say you are a wonderful woman. Your words mean a great deal to me and I appreciate the time you took to write this post and share your life experience when it comes to this issue. It is a really big issue to me - I kind of stumbled upon it and it hit me that I CAN help this situation - there is such a need for fostering, in one weekend alone they brought in over 40 dogs....
I will continue to seek God's strength in this - thank you so much for your post's and kind words. I really cherish. Right back at cha with sloppy kisses to Cami from Otis and I. I hope your doing well my friend. xoxo

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Carol, If anyone hasn't told you lately, let me be the first to say you are a wonderful woman. Your words mean a great deal to me and I appreciate the time you took to write this post and share your life experience when it comes to this issue. It is a really big issue to me - I kind of stumbled upon it and it hit me that I CAN help this situation - there is such a need for fostering, in one weekend alone they brought in over 40 dogs....
I will continue to seek God's strength in this - thank you so much for your post's and kind words. I really cherish. Right back at cha with sloppy kisses to Cami from Otis and I. I hope your doing well my friend. xoxo

Thank you, Lynn, for taking my words in the right spirit and not taking offense, I have such love
for you and want your life to always be fabulous & blessed! And of course, my situation got out
of hand & isn't your situation with one dog. Your husband (knowing your heart) most likely fears
you will be a foster fail and worries if Otis never really accepts him, constant chaos in the home.

As I said, I will keep y'all in close thought & prayer that the answers to this be clearly shown & y'all
move forward in one accord and united together of one mind. DO NOT let this come between y'all
(or anything else)...the right solution will be revealed in time.

Having said all this, Lynn, I understand your feelings. It's a bulldog (who here doesn't WANT another
one)! It needs a home and you want to provide one...and can give it everything too. I fight still with
my desire to adopt another bully needing a home but again, I step back and realize I've got more on
my plate even now than I can handle & I owe FIRST to Cami & everyone here. It's difficult balancing
our desires with our realities and more so with others than ourselves to consider. I understand your
frustrations and resentments but give both of you more time to consider everything involved.

Thanks for listening to my rambling thoughts...I just care about your happiness and YOU!

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Since I can't take another dog in my home I can't get a rescue from the Long Island bulldog rescue so I just send cash every time they send me a bulldog sobb story. That being said.... Your damned If you do and damned if you don't here. It's unfortunate that the hubby is not on board but hey, those dogs need homes. And giving a bully a forever home is never a bad thing no matter who it puts off. If Otis is an elderly dog he might be a little aggravated by a younger male dog running around in his space but It won't affect who he is. LIBR is good about screening for wether or not their dogs can go to a home with existing dogs/cats/kids so there shouldn't be and safety concerns. I know I'm a little biased here being an LIBR supporter but give it a shot. If it doesn't work out they will take the dog back from you, I'm sure. You may even decide to keep the dog and give back your hubby........... Joking joking just joking.
Seriously though: find a compromise. I'm sure there is something your hubby wants to buy or do or somewhere he wants go that you haven't been okay with. Let him get that Harley he always wanted or the silly sports car or whatever. Find a way through his obtuse feelings toward the adoption.

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Fostering. I said adoption but I meant fostering. ::::::::: planting the seeds of bully guilt::::::;;;;;

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online